Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Female - in Debt due to Loss of Income (3 years)

Female - in Debt due to Loss of Income (3 years)

Old Dec 13th 2021, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Rebloom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Female - in Debt due to Loss of Income (3 years)

Originally Posted by psychopomp1
Then its a perfect opportunity for you to explain to the journo's that debt support/management for expats in Qatar is pretty much non-existent. Wrt privacy, they won't publish your real name/personal details/photo if you don't want them to. Get in touch with them, you have nothing to lose.
They don't reply anything since 5 days
(emails / social media direct message)
Old Dec 13th 2021, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rebloom
They don't reply anything since 5 days
(emails / social media direct message)
Have you tried

[email protected]

When emailing them I wouldn't go full-on with your story. Just ask them that you want to discuss the lack of support for expats (single) in debt and you're writing to them as a last resort as all regular avenues (eg charities) have been exhausted. Get them to call you or even better, meet you in person so that you can tell them everything.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Have you tried

[email protected]

When emailing them I wouldn't go full-on with your story. Just ask them that you want to discuss the lack of support for expats (single) in debt and you're writing to them as a last resort as all regular avenues (eg charities) have been exhausted. Get them to call you or even better, meet you in person so that you can tell them everything.

Thank you very much for this, I will resend to this email too (I used [email protected] from their Instagram contact)

I googled: their Arabic-American founders left the country and now run by an Indian agency - how can get guarantee that they don't disclose details if they would be locally requested ...
Old Dec 13th 2021, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

I've no idea who's running DN these days, I know they were shut down for a while by the Qatari authorities a few years ago but have since been back online with no further issues.

I wouldn't be too concerned about privacy issues. If they tell you - ideally in writing - that they won't publish any of your personal details in public then I would trust them. The consequences of them not adhering to that could be severe (legal action) so they're not going to do anything stupid. But anyway take it 1 step at a time, and see if they get in touch with you. Baby steps first...
Old Dec 13th 2021, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a long shot, but have you tried contacting the MP in the last UK constituency you lived? Not all are created equal, but some are better than others. If yours is useless, perhaps try those who have history of helping vulnerable women abroad, such as Nusrat Ghani or Yvette Cooper?

Perhaps you can find some help from charities? Women's aid might have some links to people who can help you. I don't know if there are any military bases in Qatar, but members of the SSAFA (who provide practical support to forces families) would perhaps know of local organisations who could help you (I don't know if they would take pity on you as a civvy, but worth a try?)

I'd agree with everyone who says you need to get out as soon as possible. Better to be homeless in Europe where there are many agencies who will be able to help get you off the street or help you make the final leg back home.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
It's a long shot, but have you tried contacting the MP in the last UK constituency you lived? Not all are created equal, but some are better than others. If yours is useless, perhaps try those who have history of helping vulnerable women abroad, such as Nusrat Ghani or Yvette Cooper?

Perhaps you can find some help from charities? Women's aid might have some links to people who can help you. I don't know if there are any military bases in Qatar, but members of the SSAFA (who provide practical support to forces families) would perhaps know of local organisations who could help you (I don't know if they would take pity on you as a civvy, but worth a try?)

I'd agree with everyone who says you need to get out as soon as possible. Better to be homeless in Europe where there are many agencies who will be able to help get you off the street or help you make the final leg back home.
Thank you very much for these details, I will check them out (but I would be willing to go with any private entity so to speed it up)
Old Dec 15th 2021, 10:26 am
Just Joined

I've no idea who's running DN these days, I know they were shut down for a while by the Qatari authorities a few years ago but have since been back online with no further issues.

I wouldn't be too concerned about privacy issues. If they tell you - ideally in writing - that they won't publish any of your personal details in public then I would trust them. The consequences of them not adhering to that could be severe (legal action) so they're not going to do anything stupid. But anyway take it 1 step at a time, and see if they get in touch with you. Baby steps first...
Thank you very much for this information, so far no response received from DN... As far as I understand their journalists may be freelancers & not always online..
Old Dec 15th 2021, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

can I be the one to ask the numbers:
1/ How much debt
2/ What's your income
3/ What's your rent

There are plenty of people here who get the economics of life working on 3k/month. Not a western life, but they all own a laptop, smartphone and didn't need to sell the fridge.

I'd go hotel - food and accommodation provided until you can get some shit sorted out.

Old Dec 15th 2021, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
can I be the one to ask the numbers:
1/ How much debt
2/ What's your income
3/ What's your rent

There are plenty of people here who get the economics of life working on 3k/month. Not a western life, but they all own a laptop, smartphone and didn't need to sell the fridge.

I'd go hotel - food and accommodation provided until you can get some shit sorted out.
​​​​​​
Thank you for your advice.

1. Initially it was a very small amount but due to circumstances I was unable to leave on time (was sick) and it just started occurring & increasing

2. No income for 1.5 years (in total, few months here, few months there) out of 3 years from regular income loss (job transfer to a Very Low paid job & job loss / lockdowns with unpaid phases, unpaid wages / VL / EOS, deductions, job loss again - not working currently, etc.)

3. I already moved from 1bedroom at The Pearl to the most economic room

*due to taking the lowest paid job for the time being (as I thought) + on top of that they didn't pay even those peanuts & all in all resulted me in falling into an increasing debt

**financial entity already requires a full amount to be paid immediately (unable to travel)

May I please clarify - 3K in which currency you meant?
Old Dec 15th 2021, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy

​​​​​

Old Dec 16th 2021, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

How are you paying the rent right now?

Old Dec 16th 2021, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
How are you paying the rent right now?

Unfortunately no means to pay rent / any kind of bills right now, therefore threats from landlord to change lock, etc.etc. (borrowed here & there before but nobody has anymore & majority left the country)