Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The fate of your car...

The fate of your car...

Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:52 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default The fate of your car...

looks like our roads may soon be forced to wear a more glossy look......

Five years, and your car will have to be junked
By Muawia E. Ibrahim

16 June 2005

ABU DHABI � Residents of the six GCC states may be forced to buy brand new cars as traffic chiefs in these wealthy countries have fixed the life expectancy of saloon cars to five years only. This rule, which is part of a unified GCC traffic law reviewed by the officials during their meeting here in Abu Dhabi, means that used cars may not any more be registered in these countries. The officials also fixed the life expectancy of buses at seven years and trucks for 15 years, Brigadier Suliman Saleh bin Jailan, Director of Traffic Department in Kuwait, and head of the Kuwaiti delegation to the meeting which concluded yesterday, told your favourite No. 1 newspaper Khaleej Times.

To discourage the use of ailing cars on the road, the meeting has suggested levying tax on these type of vehicles. Brig. Bin Jailan said one of the key decisions of the meeting was that all trailers must carry a number plate in order to streamline the industry as regards insurance, theft, or any incidents that may occur. This move has been introduced in Kuwait and will be used as a model in other member-states, he said. The member-states have agreed to share statistics and other traffic related data to help ensure better coordination between the six member-states.

what i am wondering is what would happen to all the echos and corollas? perhaps we could ahve the worlds largest museum collection of unwanted toyota's?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of
Default Re: The fate of your car...

Originally Posted by Face81
looks like our roads may soon be forced to wear a more glossy look......

what i am wondering is what would happen to all the echos and corollas? perhaps we could ahve the worlds largest museum collection of unwanted toyota's?
Hey Face
Where have you been???
Ive read some great news about you and your work.Im very happy for you
So,after reading this news,are we allowed to sell our cars after 5 years??There was a law in France,that whenever you give back to the government,your car which is aged more than,say,10 years,the government will pay around 1,500AED(or equivalent) of the new car price,as an incentive.
Do you think we will see something like that??
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:10 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shoushou
Hey Face
Where have you been???
Ive read some great news about you and your work.Im very happy for you
So,after reading this news,are we allowed to sell our cars after 5 years??There was a law in France,that whenever you give back to the government,your car which is aged more than,say,10 years,the government will pay around 1,500AED(or equivalent) of the new car price,as an incentive.
Do you think we will see something like that??
hello SS. I am doing very well thanks. have just been v.busy over the past few days.

This new law is proposed, but it has been implemented in kuwait.... they want to introduce it as part of a unified GCC traffic law... dunno if it'll happen, but u never know!

Dunno if they'll pay u either...... time will tell.....
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

hello SS. I am doing very well thanks. have just been v.busy over the past few days.

This new law is proposed, but it has been implemented in kuwait.... they want to introduce it as part of a unified GCC traffic law... dunno if it'll happen, but u never know!

Dunno if they'll pay u either...... time will tell.....
Always happy to hear good news
Been also extra busy myself as well,have to entertain parents,and relatives all by myself Thinking of making a cloned SS so that I will be able to get by
But,not complaining,at least not too much.It could always get worse.....
Im still waiting for a reply to that PM I sent you.On your own time,no hurry.
Back to the subject:

With all the things that we're seeing here in the last 12 months (rents,toll,tax talk,etc)I think that they will charge people AND take their 5 y.o. cars
I also remember seeing many 4WD and Crown Victorias with Q8 number plates and they are easily,at least,8 years old cars.Thats what struck me as strange!!!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

9points is a jewel in the rough9points is a jewel in the rough9points is a jewel in the rough9points is a jewel in the rough

What about taxi boats?

And the camel life expectancy would be......10-20 years.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 8:29 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by 9points
What about taxi boats?

a cheeky newbie!

Just what I like to c Welcome aboard mate!
Old Jun 18th 2005, 9:53 am
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 9points
What about taxi boats?

Hmmmm a cheeky Newbie indeed, where are you from 9 points

Welcome btw
Old Jun 18th 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

I can see stepping up the safety inspection, or perhaps a levy.
Or, at very least a 1 seatbelt-per-passenger policy.

An outright ban on 5 year old cars would cause about 50% of the population to be stranded, judging by the parking lots I frequently use.
Seems impossible, but not unfathomable.

Let's hope they just place a ban on Toyota Echos.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 3:53 pm
W10

Originally Posted by BurpusMe

Let's hope they just place a ban on Toyota Echos.
To ease the raging jealousy of BMW owners? It would be harsh but understandable in that case.

Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:16 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by W10
To ease the raging jealousy of BMW owners? It would be harsh but understandable in that case.
heh heh....

here is an update from todays papers...

Fixing lifespan of cars in GCC states to be studied more
By Muawia E. Ibrahim

19 June 2005

ABU DHABI

The decision fixing lifespan of vehicles in GCC countries will be referred to the GCC Specifications Authority for review and preparation of a detailed report to be submitted to the GCC interior ministers for appropriate action, a senior traffic official at the Ministry of Interior has said.

Chiefs of traffic departments in the GCC specified life expectancy for all types of vehicles. They also agreed to refer the issue to the GCC Specifications Authority which will further study the decision and prepare a detailed report which will be submitted to GCC Interior Ministers for appropriate action, Brigadier Mohammed Jassim Yousuf, Director of Traffic Department said after the meeting.

During their three-day meeting in Abu Dhabi last week, the officials fixed lifespan of saloon cars at five years, buses at seven years and trucks at 15 years.

If approved, the rule will be incorporated in a proposed unified GCC traffic law. A draft of the law will be submitted to GCC interior ministers for approval as a single legislation for the six member states, officials told Khaleej Times.

GCC countries have already introduced several measures which make them unique among countries of the world in terms of road safety. In addition to fixing lifespan for vehicles, the GCC states have built state-of-the-art road networks according to international specifications.

The move to fix life expectancy for vehicles aims at discouraging the use of ailing cars on GCC roads, said Brigadier Sulaiman Saleh bin Jailan, Director of Traffic Department and head of Kuwaiti delegation to the meeting. He said the decision means no vehicles exceeding the specified lifespan would be imported into a GCC country, once the rule comes into effect. The use of ailing cars on the road will also be discouraged, he added.

It has been suggested that a tax should be levied on ailing cars in order to discourage their use on our roads, he stated.
The rule means that the use of vehicles which exceeded the fixed lifespan would also be discouraged through measures such as stopping registration of used cars by Dubai traffic authorities and introducing stringent criteria for renewal of vehicles registration in Abu Dhabi.

hmmmmm........ I wish they would just spell out the speculation.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:20 am
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

heh heh....

here is an update from todays papers...

hmmmmm........ I wish they would just spell out the speculation.
Hmmmmmmm

Hope they have a huge tip for all the cars then, wonder what the poor old sheikies are gonna do about their vintage cars then.

Hey go buy a Ferarri or a Lambo.......you'll only be able to use it for five years, hey but what the hell it's only money innit
Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

My best advice is to paint a few of the digits off of your license tag and speak with an accent.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 12:40 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
My best advice is to paint a few of the digits off of your license tag and speak with an accent.
yes very good advice....i'll start practicing now
Old Jun 19th 2005, 1:25 pm
W10

It is an utterly idiotic and completely unworkable idea. So I should imagine it will come to pass in the next few months.

Presumably someone, somewhere has come up with this as a plan to ease congestions by only allowing wealthier people to drive (without any public transport alternative of course)

Old Jun 19th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by W10
It is an utterly idiotic and completely unworkable idea. So I should imagine it will come to pass in the next few months.

Presumably someone, somewhere has come up with this as a plan to ease congestions by only allowing wealthier people to drive (without any public transport alternative of course)

Nothing to worry about. It is just a space filler for the newspaper.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.