Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Fast Track Options Moving to Abu Dhabi from UK

Fast Track Options Moving to Abu Dhabi from UK

Old Jun 22nd 2017, 12:43 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fast Track Options Moving to Abu Dhabi from UK

If only I knew what I was talking about and was paid to write about these things...

Please read the link I posted as that explains not only about bans but also about penalties. I cannot tell you how many people sign contracts without bothering to check what they are committing to and the cost of getting out.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

JCoop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
If only I knew what I was talking about and was paid to write about these things...

Please read the link I posted as that explains not only about bans but also about penalties. I cannot tell you how many people sign contracts without bothering to check what they are committing to and the cost of getting out.
Yeah she gets the contract this week so I'll have a look through it all!

On a separate note, do you need to submit your birth certificate to the UAE embassy to be attested if you're only bringing your wife and not bringing children ? (Not bringing them because I don't have any, not as if I'm leaving them behind!!!)
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Meh, not this again. Have known hundreds of couples who have and zero who have been caught..... It's a teeny tiny risk.

Yes and if you are the 1% out of 99% it is a very humiliating experience to go through, it only takes one nightwatchman to report you (as I have known been done), and the shit hits the proverbial fan....more humiliating for the woman involved as she may be subject to invasive procedures at a local hospital to "prove" sex outside of marriage.

So you can "meh" all you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 27th 2017, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Yes and if you are the 1% out of 99% it is a very humiliating experience to go through, it only takes one nightwatchman to report you (as I have known been done), and the shit hits the proverbial fan....more humiliating for the woman involved as she may be subject to invasive procedures at a local hospital to "prove" sex outside of marriage.

So you can "meh" all you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will, thanks.

Come on though, in reality this is a full on worst case, wrong time, wrong place on a Friday 13th type scenario. Obviously we all know it 'could' happen, however, I've NOT heard of it actually happening to anyone, and neither have any of my friends..... and that's in over 10yrs of stay.

As long as you're respectful and don't draw attention to yourself then Dubai will be happy to have you, and as a western expat you're allowed a certain level of a blind eye being turned to certain indiscretions. It's when you start being a dick that they start to trawl up these 'laws' and sting you with them.

Did you once get 'probed'.....?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

As long as you're respectful and don't draw attention to yourself then Dubai will be happy to have you, and as a western expat you're allowed a certain level of a blind eye being turned to certain indiscretions. It's when you start being a dick that they start to trawl up these 'laws' and sting you with them.
Similarly I've heard that if you get involved in a scuffle on a night out, the police will request your alcohol license (even if you are drinking in a hotel/mall bar) and nick you...
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Similarly I've heard that if you get involved in a scuffle on a night out, the police will request your alcohol license (even if you are drinking in a hotel/mall bar) and nick you...
Indeed. Well it depends who you're scuffling with.

Apparently there are new boozing laws coming in where you will need a booze licence to enter any bar / booze selling establishment. Tourists will need to show their visit visa.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently there are new boozing laws coming in where you will need a booze licence to enter any bar / booze selling establishment. Tourists will need to show their visit visa.
are you serious??? in that case i'm royally screwed
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that said somewhere else before. Is this another one of those "income tax for Expats" rumours or is there some published statement to back this up?

Doesn't bother me either way, just curious.
Just as a data point Qatar recently tweaked the liquor permit system. Previously it was QR1000 deposit and lasted as long as your RP was valid needing renewal every year of course though without further payment. Now it's QR100 per year.

Last edited by martinbkk; Jun 29th 2017 at 4:41 am.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by martinbkk
I've heard that said somewhere else before. Is this another one of those "income tax for Expats" rumours or is there some published statement to back this up?
Was one of those articles that you see on FB so nope, no official circular written by Sheikh Mo hand is available.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

I'd doubt it - especially as Ramadan has become more relaxed over the last couple of years (from what I've been told) - to entice more tourists. Money is king so I wouldn't think new regulations would come in to deter tourists (and expats alike!)
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd doubt it - especially as Ramadan has become more relaxed over the last couple of years (from what I've been told) - to entice more tourists. Money is king so I wouldn't think new regulations would come in to deter tourists (and expats alike!)
This whole approach would generate cash as more residents would have to get booze licences (as currently many don't bother)..... And why would it affect tourists? As I say, all they need to show is a visit visa.... or whatever, a stamped bit of paper or whatever.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

They always ask for it and if you don't show it upon request you could see the inside of a cell and a fine.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

JCoop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses. Just to give a bit of an update; I've had my qualifications notarised and legalised here in UK. We've decided to go on separate visas as both perks and terms are similar, and we don't have to wait until our wedding to get the process started (although we'll still get our wedding certs attested so we can legally live together).

Would anyone mind lending a hand regarding the Attesting Process? I've just posted another thread asking the same thing, but basically I can't find any info online regarding how to get my documents attested by the UAE embassy in London. I can't find an address, or info regarding prices (except one area starting £440 per doc but I don't think that's correct).

Can anyone point me in the right direction ??

Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 10:10 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by JCoop
Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses. Just to give a bit of an update; I've had my qualifications notarised and legalised here in UK. We've decided to go on separate visas as both perks and terms are similar, and we don't have to wait until our wedding to get the process started (although we'll still get our wedding certs attested so we can legally live together).

Would anyone mind lending a hand regarding the Attesting Process? I've just posted another thread asking the same thing, but basically I can't find any info online regarding how to get my documents attested by the UAE embassy in London. I can't find an address, or info regarding prices (except one area starting £440 per doc but I don't think that's correct).

Can anyone point me in the right direction ??

Thanks
Make your life easier by using a company to do it all for you.

This lot are good. Consular Agents for Document Legalisation | Blair Consular Services - Blair Consular Services
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 10:10 am
Bored liberal

I will, thanks.

Come on though, in reality this is a full on worst case, wrong time, wrong place on a Friday 13th type scenario. Obviously we all know it 'could' happen, however, I've NOT heard of it actually happening to anyone, and neither have any of my friends..... and that's in over 10yrs of stay.

Did you once get 'probed'.....?
What about this story?

Filipinos in UAE warned about sex outside wedlock | GulfNews.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.