British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Fast Track Options Moving to Abu Dhabi from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/fast-track-options-moving-abu-dhabi-uk-898331/)

JCoop Jun 21st 2017 5:23 pm

Fast Track Options Moving to Abu Dhabi from UK

Hi All,
My fiancée and I have both been offered roles in Abu Dhabi, and I've just started the process of obtaining our working visas. I think I now understand the steps of notarising, legalising and then attesting by UAE embassy.

However, we're not getting married until July 15th, and so I plan on getting all our educational qualifications through the first two stages of the process before our wedding. Then once we're married, we can get the Cert legalised and send everything off to the UAE embassy to be attested at once.

We were just wondering if there is a fast track option for getting our Marriage Certificate through legalisation or for getting all our documentation attested by the embassy? The reason being my employment start date is July 23rd, which can be pushed back but id rather not!

Thanks in advance for any help and advice guys!

Pulaski Jun 21st 2017 5:28 pm

Re: Fast Track Options Moving to Abu Dhabi from UK

Why not take a quick trip to the registry office in the next couple of days, ahead of the big ceremony with all the bells and whistles next month? :unsure:

JCoop Jun 21st 2017 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12277814)
Why not take a quick trip to the registry office in the next couple of days, ahead of the big ceremony with all the bells and whistles next month? :unsure:

We are actually doing this but legally you have to give 28 days notice before you get married anywhere in Scotland. A place called Gretna Green used to do same day weddings but that's changed now unfortunately. So as soon as I got my job offer we booked the closest date we could get which was July 15th.

Pulaski Jun 21st 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by JCoop (Post 12277848)
We are actually doing this but legally you have to give 28 days notice before you get married anywhere in Scotland. A place called Gretna Green used to do same day weddings but that's changed now unfortunately. So as soon as I got my job offer we booked the closest date we could get which was July 15th.

Wow! 28 days! :blink: That's crazy!

I don't suppose you fancy a quick trip to Las Vegas! :lol: (In fact most states will marry you the same day. Some make you wait 2-3 days.)

archie159 Jun 22nd 2017 7:13 am

If you are both being offered jobs, as you say, then why do you need your marriage certificate notarised etc (at least, at this stage)? Surely both of your future employers are just providing single employee visas (rather than family sponsorship), and whether you are married or not is irrelevant for the sake of visas. You only need a marriage visa if your spouse is under your visa, or your employer is providing family-benefits. But if you are both separately employed then this is not the case.

JCoop Jun 22nd 2017 7:45 am

Originally Posted by archie159 (Post 12278134)
If you are both being offered jobs, as you say, then why do you need your marriage certificate notarised etc (at least, at this stage)? Surely both of your future employers are just providing single employee visas (rather than family sponsorship), and whether you are married or not is irrelevant for the sake of visas. You only need a marriage visa if your spouse is under your visa, or your employer is providing family-benefits. But if you are both separately employed then this is not the case.

Thanks for the response :).

That does actually make sense, and leads me to my next question. I was offered my role first, and then my partner started applying for positions and received her offer just this week. If we both go out on separate working visas, and if my partner decides her job isn't for her (she's teaching and we've heard from friends who've worked out there in the field that it can be hit or miss), then can she quit her job, and then transfer onto my visa ? And is this a simple process?

Also, can we still live together if we're on separate visas and our marriage certificate hasn't been attested etc?

Gavtek Jun 22nd 2017 7:57 am

Originally Posted by JCoop (Post 12278145)
If we both go out on separate working visas, and if my partner decides her job isn't for her (she's teaching and we've heard from friends who've worked out there in the field that it can be hit or miss), then can she quit her job, and then transfer onto my visa ? And is this a simple process?

Yes, very simple (or as simple as it gets out here), did it myself a few years ago. Although you'll need the attested marriage certificate for that, but easy enough to do some visa runs while that's in progress.

Living together shouldn't be a worry either, many unmarried couples live together without any issues and in the unlikely event that you're questioned by the police, they're not going to through you in jail because your marriage certificate is not attested.

JCoop Jun 22nd 2017 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Gavtek (Post 12278154)
Yes, very simple (or as simple as it gets out here), did it myself a few years ago. Although you'll need the attested marriage certificate for that, but easy enough to do some visa runs while that's in progress.

Living together shouldn't be a worry either, many unmarried couples live together without any issues and in the unlikely event that you're questioned by the police, they're not going to through you in jail because your marriage certificate is not attested.

Ah interesting - that's put us at ease a bit, we were worried it would be an issue if she decided to leave her employer and visa and switch to mine. I assume we/she would need to leave the country whilst the visa is in process or something? Not really a big deal!

I suppose the only other thing we need to consider is whether it's worth waiting to get the marriage certificate attested and adding her to my visa for the benefits my company offers. We've yet to see what benefits she's being offered though so well wait on that !

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it !

Meow Jun 22nd 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by JCoop (Post 12278145)
Thanks for the response :).

That does actually make sense, and leads me to my next question. I was offered my role first, and then my partner started applying for positions and received her offer just this week. If we both go out on separate working visas, and if my partner decides her job isn't for her (she's teaching and we've heard from friends who've worked out there in the field that it can be hit or miss), then can she quit her job, and then transfer onto my visa ? And is this a simple process?

Also, can we still live together if we're on separate visas and our marriage certificate hasn't been attested etc?

Be aware that people can get employment bans if they change jobs after just a few month. It is less of an issue for an unlimited contract as most Western expats will be at a grade where they won't be banned for leaving within six months provided they give notice. For a fixed term contract however, you can still get a six or 12 months ban.

Sponsoring a spouse shouldn't be complicated but you will then require an attested marriage certificate.

No matter the situation, co-habiting is illegal in the UAE. Many people do it but it is still against the law. Unlikely to be a problem in most case but it is one of those things that only needs someone to report you and then it is a major issue. You need to be aware.

martinbkk Jun 22nd 2017 8:40 am

Is there a "grey" area?

If a couple are legally married in their home country but living together in UAE having been admitted on individual visas and not having an, as yet, attested marriage certificate. Is this a problem legally speaking?

OP indicated they plan to marry July 15th and he start work July 23rd. Ink would hardly be dry but would they be legal?

JCoop Jun 22nd 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12278178)
Be aware that people can get employment bans if they change jobs after just a few month. It is less of an issue for an unlimited contract as most Western expats will be at a grade where they won't be banned for leaving within six months provided they give notice. For a fixed term contract however, you can still get a six or 12 months ban.

Sponsoring a spouse shouldn't be complicated but you will then require an attested marriage certificate.

No matter the situation, co-habiting is illegal in the UAE. Many people do it but it is still against the law. Unlikely to be a problem in most case but it is one of those things that only needs someone to report you and then it is a major issue. You need to be aware.

Thanks for the advice :)

I read somewhere that the labour law was changed on January 1st either this year or last, and now anyone employed in a level 1,2 or 3 position (teaching is level 1), can no longer be placed on an employment ban if they serve their 30 days notice period.

I'll try find a link and put it up, but I was sure I read that. Although I've read so much recently my brain is fried.

Yeah a lot of people are telling us that it's illegal to live together if not married but the chances of getting caught are slim however we just don't want to take the risk so we'll probably do it legit :)

Thanks!

mission Jun 22nd 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Gavtek (Post 12278154)

i wouldn't be so blase about it, it only takes one person to report you and then you'll be up the creek without a paddle and people have been prosecuted/deported for cohabiting without being married.

jam25mack Jun 22nd 2017 9:27 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12278200)
i wouldn't be so blase about it, it only takes one person to report you and then you'll be up the creek without a paddle and people have been prosecuted/deported for cohabiting without being married.

Meh, not this again. Have known hundreds of couples who have and zero who have been caught..... It's a teeny tiny risk.

Meow Jun 22nd 2017 10:45 am

Originally Posted by JCoop (Post 12278184)
Thanks for the advice :)

I read somewhere that the labour law was changed on January 1st either this year or last, and now anyone employed in a level 1,2 or 3 position (teaching is level 1), can no longer be placed on an employment ban if they serve their 30 days notice period.

I'll try find a link and put it up, but I was sure I read that. Although I've read so much recently my brain is fried.

Yeah a lot of people are telling us that it's illegal to live together if not married but the chances of getting caught are slim however we just don't want to take the risk so we'll probably do it legit :)

Thanks!

Yes there was a change and that is what i am referring to when I talk about the roles of Western expats as few will be on the lower grades but you can still get a ban if you are in a fixed contract. There are also penalties for ending a fixed contract early.

Most teachers are on fixed term contracts so this is particularly relevant to you.

Links to articles like the ones I write? ;) No need to pay visa costs when you quit your job in the UAE | The National

JCoop Jun 22nd 2017 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12278250)
Yes there was a change and that is what i am referring to when I talk about the roles of Western expats as few will be on the lower grades but you can still get a ban if you are in a fixed contract. There are also penalties for ending a fixed contract early.

Most teachers are on fixed term contracts so this is particularly relevant to you.

Links to articles like the ones I write? ;) No need to pay visa costs when you quit your job in the UAE | The National

Yeah just had another quick look, you can still be banned for one year if you leave a fixed contract earlier, however there are now 2 exceptions:

- If the employee and employer come to a mutual agreement on the termination
- If the employee is offered another role from a different company where his/her salary exceeds the minimum requirements set by his/her level.

So in my fiancée's case, she'd need to be offered a position above 12,000 AED per month because she's stage/level 1 employee.

All quite interesting stuff :)!