Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Family stay, here's my plan

Family stay, here's my plan

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

mrxyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family stay, here's my plan

I'm coming via Abu Dhabi airport for one day on a connecting flight and hope to make the most of this small time.

I will be getting there at 7pm one evening and leaving at 11pm the next night. Hoping to find a good hotel but preferably near to some good scenery possibly by the corniche and need help deciding where to stay? There's one strange thing I find when looking for a hotel it seems they never tell you if you have to pay extra for children. The whole party will be 2 adults and 3 children (under 13) and as it's one night I am fine with managing all in one room to save some money that can be spent on the sightseeing. Does anyone know if hotels generally allow kids for free in a room with adults?

Also tell me what you think of the plan:
From 7pm arrival at Abu Dhabi Airport we will make our way to a hotel, rent the room for the night and maybe go around some shops before sleeping. In the morning we will leave at 7am and make our way to Dubai Mall to do some shopping + see the fish aquarium and the burj al khalifa building. Possibly go for a boat ride or some easy way of seeing the city (suggestions welcome) before going back to the Airport in time for 11pm.

So total time I think will be after leaving Abu Dhabi at 7am.
Travel to Dubai in the morning (1hr30) + mall and some sightseeing (5hrs) + boat ride (2hr) + travel back to Airport (1hr30) = get back to the Airport at 5pm (I'm planning early so we don't get stuck in traffic or anything)

What do you think about how realistic my plan is, also suggestion for hotel, sightseeing, and how to travel will be welcome
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family stay, here's my plan

Staybridge Suites on Yas Island v.close to the airport probably good for a 3+2. Otherwise Park Inn on same complex

You won't get to see Abu Dhabi Corniche but can have a mill around Yas [see the F1 track, Ferrari World, Ikea :-)]. Plus you are a lot closer to Dubai Mall.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Staybridge Suites on Yas Island v.close to the airport probably good for a 3+2. Otherwise Park Inn on same complex

You won't get to see Abu Dhabi Corniche but can have a mill around Yas [see the F1 track, Ferrari World, Ikea :-)]. Plus you are a lot closer to Dubai Mall.
Agree with above...The Corniche is not worth seeing so staying at Yas Island is the best. Take the kids to see the F1 track and have milk shakes in 'Jonny Rockets' (overlooking the track). The Crown Plaza at Yas Island is ok too.

If you want to go up the Burj then book online in advance as it's cheaper. There are lots of restaurants situated around the lake next to the Burj and can be found in the basement of Dubai mall. There is also a Souk next to the lake although it's a modern one.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrxyz
I'm coming via Abu Dhabi airport for one day on a connecting flight and hope to make the most of this small time.

I will be getting there at 7pm one evening and leaving at 11pm the next night. Hoping to find a good hotel but preferably near to some good scenery possibly by the corniche and need help deciding where to stay? There's one strange thing I find when looking for a hotel it seems they never tell you if you have to pay extra for children. The whole party will be 2 adults and 3 children (under 13) and as it's one night I am fine with managing all in one room to save some money that can be spent on the sightseeing. Does anyone know if hotels generally allow kids for free in a room with adults?

From 7pm arrival at Abu Dhabi Airport we will make our way to a hotel, rent the room for the night and maybe go around some shops before sleeping. In the morning we will leave at 7am and make our way to Dubai Mall to do some shopping + see the fish aquarium and the burj al khalifa building. Possibly go for a boat ride or some easy way of seeing the city (suggestions welcome) before going back to the Airport in time for 11pm.

Travel to Dubai in the morning (1hr30) + mall and some sightseeing (5hrs) + boat ride (2hr) + travel back to Airport (1hr30) = get back to the Airport at 5pm (I'm planning early so we don't get stuck in traffic or anything)

What do you think about how realistic my plan is, also suggestion for hotel, sightseeing, and how to travel will be welcome
I would bin the boat ride (doubt you can get to from the Mall to a boat and back in that time), head back to AD a bit earlier and go and visit the Grand Mosque. Follow that with dinner at the arabic restaurant at the YAS hotel.

If you are determined for a boat ride, go on Captain Jacks - it leaves Dubai Marina on the hour and lasts about 50mins. Check for times though as it may start at 5pm now it is hot.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I would bin the boat ride (doubt you can get to from the Mall to a boat and back in that time), head back to AD a bit earlier and go and visit the Grand Mosque. Follow that with dinner at the arabic restaurant at the YAS hotel.
Souk Qaryat al Beri restaurants in Abu Dhabi overlook the mosque. Of note there's a Noodle House, Meat Co and Ushna. Last two not that cheap.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Most of the shops in Dubai mall don't open until 10am - but you will be able to get breakfast/coffee/see the aquarium & burj khalifa before that if you leave AD at 7am.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrxyz
There's one strange thing I find when looking for a hotel it seems they never tell you if you have to pay extra for children. The whole party will be 2 adults and 3 children (under 13) and as it's one night I am fine with managing all in one room to save some money that can be spent on the sightseeing. Does anyone know if hotels generally allow kids for free in a room with adults?
Use booking.com as it's cheap as chips and tells you the hotel's policy regarding children. many allow up to two kids to stay free but others require a supplement, especially where breakfasts are involved. We have always found Park Inn Yas Island to be a good choice.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mrxyz;10737355]I'm coming via Abu Dhabi airport for one day on a connecting flight and hope to make the most of this small time.

What do you think about how realistic my plan is, also suggestion for hotel, sightseeing, and how to travel will be welcome [/QUOTE

hotels here usually count anyone from age 12 as an adult, so you will struggle trying to smuggle 3 kids into 1 room. hotel by the corniche emirates palace (very expensive but doing good deals) or being realistic hilton hotel is good on the corniche otherwise any of the hotels on yas island. there is cheaper ones now open holiday inn half way into town, or novotel too. al loft hotel next to capital gate.

shops dont open until 10am. always book a time for the burj its 3 times the price on the day. hiring a car?

boat ride go over the creek on an abra for next to nothing. go for a ride on the metro, go to mall of emirates to see the snow and penguins.