Reload this Page >

Family live in Dubai, I work in Abu Dhabi

Family live in Dubai, I work in Abu Dhabi

Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Britspace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family live in Dubai, I work in Abu Dhabi

Hi all

I have recently been offered a position working in Abu Dhabi (2 - 3 year contract).
I have a wife and 2 young kids (pre-school and 1st grade) who will come with me.
Can anyone give me any advice as to the pros and cons of living in Dubai and me commuting every day to Abu Dhabi (I have heard it is about 1 hour each way).
We would also be very interested in any advice about areas to live in (given my commute) and good schools in that area.
I guess I am lucky in the fact that my company will cover housing and schooling etc so costs (as long as they are not crazy) are not that big a problem.
We have moved around quite a bit (this will be my oldest 4th country) so we are quite accustomed to change. However, (I may be wrong) I think that Dubai would be the better base for the family. If I have gotten the wrong end of the stick, please correct me.

Any advice, price indications for a 4 bed villa/house, International school costs, commuting nightmares and general things we should make sure the company covers, would be gratefully accepted.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:24 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Family live in Dubai, I work in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Britspace
Hi all

I have recently been offered a position working in Abu Dhabi (2 - 3 year contract).
I have a wife and 2 young kids (pre-school and 1st grade) who will come with me.
Can anyone give me any advice as to the pros and cons of living in Dubai and me commuting every day to Abu Dhabi (I have heard it is about 1 hour each way).
We would also be very interested in any advice about areas to live in (given my commute) and good schools in that area.
I guess I am lucky in the fact that my company will cover housing and schooling etc so costs (as long as they are not crazy) are not that big a problem.
We have moved around quite a bit (this will be my oldest 4th country) so we are quite accustomed to change. However, (I may be wrong) I think that Dubai would be the better base for the family. If I have gotten the wrong end of the stick, please correct me.

Any advice, price indications for a 4 bed villa/house, International school costs, commuting nightmares and general things we should make sure the company covers, would be gratefully accepted.
You will find a wealth of information on these websites (which have messageboards):

http://www.expatwoman.com/ (Dubai site)

http://www.expatwomanabudhabi.com/ (Abu Dhabi site)

I should think that the commute would be a nightmare!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:05 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family live in Dubai, I work in Abu Dhabi

The road between Dubai and AD is fast, but depending on where you actually work, you could find yourself crawling the last few miles at either end. Someone here who commutes/commuted between Dubai and AD said that it took them longer to drive the last few miles home once they were back in Dubai than it did for them to get from AD to Dubai.

A 4-bed villa in the New Dubai area (the residential part that's closest to AD) will cost you *at least* 200k. I'd budget about 250k to be reasonably sure of finding somewhere relatively quickly.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:19 am

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

You and your family will have AD residency.. we have AD residency and live in Dubai. We encountered a problem when my daughter wanted driving lessons in Dubai, it probably wont affect you but I don't know if there are any other problems you may encounter. We also have an AD alcohol licence.. don't think we are allowed to buy alcohol in Dubai but its never been an issue as we always buy ours from The Barracuda where no licence has to be shown. Everything considered (especially the commute) I would advise you live in AD.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:02 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definitely live in AD and simply visit Dubai whenever the need or craving arises. After all, Justin Timberlake is playing in AD so it can't be too primitive.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

AD is a nice place to live, esp if you have a family... Seriously, you don't want to drive that much every day. Dubai is easily reachable at the week-ends...
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I agree! live in Abu Dhabi, it is better than Dubai in my opinion
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:47 am
Family Guy

Barrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I agree! live in Abu Dhabi, it is better than Dubai in my opinion
Is AD a better place to live?
I have worked in AD a few times, but normally only for short stints (week here, week there) and it seems to me that life in Dubai is more lively and more cosmopolitan.

I am looking to move to Dubai within the next 3 to 6 months and I feel my situation would be similar to BRITSPACE, where I want my family to live in Dubai, but I feel there maybe more work for me in AD.

Are AD and Dubai very similar in lifestyle etc and is it just a case that Dubai seems to just get more press?

Barrie.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here in Dubai ten years now and to be honest with you I am starting to get a bit sick of it! it is the traffic that is an issue, it drives me round the bend. Everything has to be planned in advance and going out at night is a nightmare! yes there is more going on here, it is far more cosmopolitan, we have a couple of theatres and such like but Abu Dhabi isn't that far behind and is catching up quickly in my opinion. We have night life galore here in Dubai as well. It is in some respects a great place to bring up kids but I think given a choice I would give Abu Dhabi a try. Dubai is only just over an hour away for those days out to Wild Wadi etc.

I have never actually lived in Abu Dhabi but a good friend of mine lived there for over ten years before moving to Dubai. She said that Abu Dhabi has a stronger ex pat community - probably as it is smaller than the one here in Dubai.

In Dubai it all depends on where you are living and working etc. For us it works out reasonably well as my husband's office is very close by and I could walk to my daughters school (if I was brave enough!!), which is a massive plus!!! I don't spend hours in the car like alot of the women have too.

My perfect choice of location though would be Al Ain. We have been trying to get a job up there for some time. I have alot of friends up there and just love the place, it is Dubai ten years ago!!!!

Good luck with your decision, I hope it works out for you wherever you decide.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:16 pm
Family Guy

Barrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really nice
Question Re: Family live in Dubai, I work in Abu Dhabi

I am not sure about Britspace and my apologies to Britspace for jumping into his thread, but for my family and me, it is a bit like the draw of the big lights and in that part of the world Dubai seems to bethat bright light.

I am certain that there are a number of other places that are more than suitable, a few people have suggested Oman to me, but we are a social family and like to do things togther all the time i.e. theme parks,Water parks cinema, good restaurants etc etc. At the moment living 35 miles north of Aberdeen, we have to drive for at least an hour to get to anything and I would like to get away from that drive, hence the lean towards Dubai, but I am in the Oil & Gas industry and from my research so far, it seems the number of companies I could potential work for in AD is far greater than the one I could potentially work for in Dubai.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:33 pm
Concierge

what about Petrofac - they are in Sharjah. Yes more oil and gas stuff does tend to go on in Abu Dhabi. Dubai is what you make it at the end of the day
Old Oct 27th 2007, 8:00 pm
Family Guy

Talking Re: Family live in Dubai, I work in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
what about Petrofac - they are in Sharjah. Yes more oil and gas stuff does tend to go on in Abu Dhabi. Dubai is what you make it at the end of the day
I have looked at Sharjah and I think working in Dubai and work in Sharjah is a possability. A friend of mine has been doing that for the past year or so and he says it is ok, other than the driving, but after living in Aberdeen and London and spending the last 7 years sat in traffic for 2 to 3 hours a day, I don't really mind. I actually quite like it as it give me time to think the working day over.

Wouldn't want to live in Sharjah, due to the drink laws, as I do like a glass of the red stuff.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

You might find that the commute from DXB to Sharjah will take longer than DXB to Abu Dhabi! I'm not joking!

The traffic was one of the reasons we got fed up with the place.... now we're in Canada and it's much worse!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

Guys,
I think you'd be crazy to live in Dubai and commute to Abu Dhabi.
There is loads to do in Abu Dhabi and it is arguably a better place to raise a family (quieter, less traffic etc.)
Travelling that road each and every day wouldn't be my idea of fun, easy drive as it is - allow for at least 1 and 1/4 hours each way.
Abu Dhabi is following on Dubai's coat-tails and will probably overtake it in terms of development, but looking at the long-term plan it seems a lot more planned and controlled.
Dubai is, after all, only a short hop away at the weekends.
However, your choice and i wish you well.