Family life in Sharjah

Family life in Sharjah

Old Jun 25th 2014, 8:03 am
am0
Just Joined

am0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family life in Sharjah

Hi all

Looking to move to Sharjah and was wondering about the British Expat community. I have read about the Sharjah Wanderers and would like to know if there are other organisations alongside that allow British Expats to come together?

Additionally, any recommendations for kids activities/clubs to meet other children?

Thanks in advance

am0
Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family life in Sharjah

There really isn’t much of one these days as far as I know. I work in Sharjah (but live in Dubai) and to the best of my knowledge none of my colleagues from the UK or indeed Europe/America live in Sharjah. 5 years ago there would have been a reasonable UK ex-pat population in Sharjah but they’ve largely moved into Dubai.

Living in Dubai, or even Ajman or RAK, would be a better option if it’s available to you.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:33 am
am0
Just Joined

Thanks red sheep

I start work in November and looking for a flat to commute to Sharjah. Which areas would you recommend in Dubai to commute to sharjah?
am0
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by am0
Thanks red sheep

I start work in November and looking for a flat to commute to Sharjah. Which areas would you recommend in Dubai to commute to sharjah?
am0
Doesn't make sense to commute from Dubai to Sharjah. Sharjah rent is far cheaper than Dubai.
you could try somewhere like Al Hamra in RAK
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Doesn't make sense to commute from Dubai to Sharjah. Sharjah rent is far cheaper than Dubai.
Al Hamra is nice but a very long drive from Sharjah. Try Al Nahda or Al Qusais, both on the Sharjah-Dubai border, if you just want a basic apartment.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by am0
Thanks red sheep

am0
I presume you’re going to get a car and be driving? If so, your options are pretty open and probably more influenced by budget than anything else. You’re going the opposite way of most of traffic. I used to live in Downtown and commute into Sharjah which was about 25-30mins each way. I’m now in JLT and it’s around 35-40mins each way. My office is the Dubai side of Sharjah so getting in and out is relatively pain free.

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
It’s a long old poke from RAK to Sharjah and back every day, particularly getting around in Sharjah with the traffic. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you couldn’t afford to live in Dubai.

Rent has gone up considerably in Sharjah in the last 18 months, there’s no rent cap, although it is admittedly still cheaper that Dubai. However, you do get what you pay for, apartments in Sharjah may be cheap but few are cheerful. Also, being one of very few western expats may not be everyone’s cup of tea, particular a young white women who’d experience lots of starring at best, some unwelcome advances and even some groping in underpasses and busy area is far from unknown

Originally Posted by mentalist
Al Hamra is nice but a very long drive from Sharjah. Try Al Nahda or Al Qusais, both on the Sharjah-Dubai border, if you just want a basic apartment.
These would be good lower cost options, along with Al Mamzar and possibly Mirdiff. But, you have plenty of choice depending on what you want (and budget) – i.e. to be close to more lively ex-pat areas/bars/malls etc. or to be in the cheaper and more culturally diverse areas.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:06 pm
am0
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies

Mirdiff looks like a good option. Does it have a expat communuity? what about sports / football clubs?

am0
Old Jun 25th 2014, 4:41 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by am0
Thanks for the replies

Mirdiff looks like a good option. Does it have a expat communuity? what about sports / football clubs?

am0
Pretty much all of Dubai has an expat community what with expats making up 85% of the population.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 7:11 pm
am0
Just Joined

I was thinking more along the lines of British expats. Where in Dubai/Sharjah would I be able to meet British expats?

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2014, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by am0
I was thinking more along the lines of British expats. Where in Dubai/Sharjah would I be able to meet British expats?

Thanks
A lot of UK expats who work at the airport live in Mirdiff, but its a pretty mixed community nationality wise. It’s a slightly older part of the city, and not been developed as an ‘gated community’ like many other areas, which I prefer in many ways.

From Mirdiff you’re a 10 min cab ride away from Le Meridan Village (a little restaurant/bar complex) which usually has a decent sprinkling of UK expats, particularly in Dubliner bars. There’s a running club in Mirdiff, can’t remember the name of it, but their a plenty of UK expats involved. If you put yourself out and about (sports clubs, events, activities etc etc) you’ll have no trouble meeting people. All the expats have been in the same boat so are generally pretty quick to welcome newbies into the fold.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 8:00 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by am0

Thanks

I have to ask. Why move out of the UK of you only want to meet Brits when abroad?

Loads of Brits in Dubai, far fewer in Sharjah.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 8:54 am
am0
Just Joined

Making friends would be easy - regardless of background but a good balance of backgrounds would be nice - South Asian, Emirati, Arab and UK expat. Meeting South Asian and Emirati would be easy but uncertain on where I would meet Uk Expats.

am0
Old Jun 26th 2014, 9:48 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by am0
Making friends would be easy - regardless of background but a good balance of backgrounds would be nice - South Asian, Emirati, Arab and UK expat. Meeting South Asian and Emirati would be easy but uncertain on where I would meet Uk Expats.

am0

Meeting Emiratis in Dubai is not so easy, unless you plan to strike up friendships when visiting a government office. As I said Brits are all over in Dubai. You'll find us in bars, cafes, restaurants, gyms, sports clubs etc.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:18 am
am0
Just Joined

Many thanks

am0
Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:20 am
am0
Just Joined

Hi Meow

I think ive just been to your Blog?????

Do you any advice on pensions in the UAE?

am0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.