British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Family life Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/family-life-riyadh-596574/)

redpan Mar 10th 2009 9:03 am

Family life Riyadh

Hello.

My wife and I are currently considering a contract in Riyadh - we are both nurses. We worked in Riyadh in the mid to late 90's and an opportunity has come to return but this time we have 10 and 6 year old children, so I imagine life will be very different.

My question really is how is life out there for children. We will live on a compound, it will likely be Sedar or something of a similar standard. The children will hopefully attend the British school.

Currently we live in Australia (but are British), both children attend a good school and are happy there, our son plays football, cricket and swims, our daughter does gymnastics and swims, both enjoy being outside.

How is school / compound life for children, are their many sporting activities and are they easily accessible, do you feel safe with children outside the compounds??

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

nottmbantam Mar 10th 2009 11:38 am

Re: Family life Riyadh

Compound life is pretty safe generally speaking, as you may know from your previous 'tour of duty'. Most younger kids will probably really enjoy compound life, as they will have a whole range of facilities for them, where they can roam around til it gets dark in perfect safety, swimming pools, play grounds, bowling alleys are quite common on compounds. Older kids ( teenagers ) might struggle a little, but as yours are younger, they should really enjoy it.

Outside the compound is a no-no, its just the traffic and roads are not pedestrian friendly and I wouldn't like my kids if they are that age, wandering around off the compound, mainly due to the state of the roads ( and the lunatic driving - that's another story ).

I've spoken to many families who have young children here, and its an ideal environment for them, really is.

The British school is on the Al Hamra compound, so if they to go there, then ideally, try to get some acommodation there, and its a pretty central spot, easy for shoppping and its just off the main ring road.

Good luck.

lionheart Mar 10th 2009 12:17 pm

Your kids are much better off in Australia enjoying the big outdoors. If you had no kids, then I would say give Riyadh a go. With kids of that age, no...

rdan0209 Mar 10th 2009 4:40 pm

Guess I could add my 5p worth as my kids are the same age-kids enjoy the safe enviroment that the compounds offer and there's always activities for them. As long as they have friends, they'll be ok!
Swimming, riding bike, playgrounds, etc-there's also football, taekwando, art, etc offered depending on compound.
Coming from South Africa, you do miss the outdoors though-not as many sporting activities as back home (especially cricket) but the British school does have a much better sporting program(my kids are at the Multinational-hoping to switch).
Outside the compounds it's as nott said-not ideal. Every mall though has a playground. If you get to travel a bit (desert trips etc) it makes it more interesting.

redpan Mar 10th 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks for the replies so far - we are grateful of all opinions.

Nic1 Mar 12th 2009 6:44 am

I have two teenagers here, one loves it the other hates it. It is restrictive and abnormal. The schools are not that great tbh. After school activities at the British School are practically non-existent unless you are into swimming (they have quite a strong swim team apparently). The problems you encounter in the rest of the world with teenagers are the same here.

It is hard for the teenagers here to find anything to do to cover any community service type stuff they need to do (Duke of Edinburgh etc.). They are trying to set up a work experience thing at BISR for the GCSE students, but it is hard going - especially for the girls. Just a few things to think about if you are thinking of being here for some time as teenager-dom will come along quickly.

Choose your compound carefully - with children the age yours are I would say try and get into Al Hamra as the school is next door and they can walk/cycle to school, plus there are a huge number of children there at the school so they will be busy socially around the compound.

However, if I had a choice between Australia and Saudi I know where I would be.

N