Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Family friendly Riyadh compounds+anyone has a house to rent?

Family friendly Riyadh compounds+anyone has a house to rent?

Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:22 am
Just Joined

FlorenceZebedee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family friendly Riyadh compounds+anyone has a house to rent?

I am new to this forum but have been reading with interest the many postings relating to life in Riyadh and in particular the shortage of accommodation. We are a British/Canadian family with 3 children moving from London to Riyadh March/April time subject to us finding accommodation.

Can anyone recommend which are the best family friendly compounds in Riyadh? Kingdom seems to come up a lot as a popular compound, are there any others?

And does anyone know of a 4/5 bedroom house which is available from March around the 180k mark (which we hope is a reasonably generous budget???)? Failing that, what is the best way to go about finding accommodation, estate agents? relocation experts? Any pointers greatly appreciated.

My husband is in Riyadh for the next week and is trying to line something up... a bit ambitious probably but worth a try.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family friendly Riyadh compounds+anyone has a house to rent?

Originally Posted by FlorenceZebedee
I am new to this forum but have been reading with interest the many postings relating to life in Riyadh and in particular the shortage of accommodation. We are a British/Canadian family with 3 children moving from London to Riyadh March/April time subject to us finding accommodation.

Can anyone recommend which are the best family friendly compounds in Riyadh? Kingdom seems to come up a lot as a popular compound, are there any others?

And does anyone know of a 4/5 bedroom house which is available from March around the 180k mark (which we hope is a reasonably generous budget???)? Failing that, what is the best way to go about finding accommodation, estate agents? relocation experts? Any pointers greatly appreciated.

My husband is in Riyadh for the next week and is trying to line something up... a bit ambitious probably but worth a try.
florence, I think the only chance you really have is for your employer to find accom for you.
We have , just recently, turned down a job in Riyadh due to non adequate housing. A good compound is, IMHO, make or break in Riyadh.
I know that all the good compounds have long waiting lists, and some big companies can't get people in due to housing shortages in the big compounds.
sorry, but this is the info that I have.
XXXXX
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lady Lou is right - if your husband is in Riyadh get him to go to the compounds and talk to the management - if he has cash or a cheque with him it will help him possibl jump the queue.

Good luck
N
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

lambs_tail is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's worth contacting the compounds again because I have heard that people are losing their jobs here due to the recession abroad and therefore are moving back home.

This is quite a good link to the compounds here...

http://www.britishcommunityservices....compounds.html
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:01 am
Just Joined

wimbledon is an unknown quantity at this point

i m in the same situation too. see my other postings. have job, registered son in school. compounds situation unclear to dicey. I m there in a couple weeks as well. Probably going to walk in there with cash in hand and see what happens. We are looking at Kingdom/Eid/Arizona. Otherwise, good chance i m going to have to quit job shortly thereafter I start or communte.
Housing availibility/rents seems out of line with macro economy. Think that is what is going to help me out ultimately
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:04 am
Just Joined

do you have any feedback how he got along? fine regards wimbledon
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi Wimbledon, my husband only found the one house which was 3 times our budget (circa 400k a year). So that didn't work out too well. His employer has now offered to look for a place for us. They did find one on the Grenada compound but it wasn't suitable (a bit run down and we were hoping to be on a predominantly western compound). So overall not going too well! Fingers crossed we find something before we get there in April. We are also on the waiting list at the British school so no house and no school, wow what an adventure!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

got school sorted. son has swedish passport so have school. the house is major prob...thanks for the info
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

did your son get into the British School?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

did your son get into the British School?
the swedish school accepted him at 3yrs. so was not eligbile for the british school yet.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

flectcher is an unknown quantity at this point

if you dont mind me asking, how much are you paying? and what ages does the british school start?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

lambs_tail is an unknown quantity at this point

The British School has a website that tells you the age ranges and charges per term. Go to "Admissions" and then to "fee structure". britishschoolriyadh.com
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by flectcher
if you dont mind me asking, how much are you paying? and what ages does the british school start?
i think 4 and unsure of billing at this moment. 17,500 sr seems to come to mind
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

For the British School kids have to be 3 or above on Sept 1st of year of joining. They go into FS1 at 3, then move up accordingly.

N
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

I have put my children down for the British school and they are on a waiting list. It's not clear at this stage when they will actually get in, so I'm bracing myself for some home schooling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.