Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

families evicted from upscale villas in dubai

families evicted from upscale villas in dubai

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:45 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: families evicted from upscale villas in dubai

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
It's the most stupid system on the planet...

Rents go up - the majority of the population cannot afford so they drift towards sharing with friends and family or letting out the spare room to help.

Then the government says no no no not allowed, forbidden, haram or whatever and evict people (and in some cases put them in jail or deport them for just trying to live within their means).

So basically the UAE will become a country where everyone needs to earn AED45,000 a month and have a housing allowance of AED200,000 plus have all their school fees and travel expenses taken care of. There will be no middle class at all and lower classes will be restricted to male only reservations in the middle of nowhere.

If this continues their economy will collapse within 10 years when expats coin on en masse they cannot live here unless they find a massive salary and aren't single men. And companies won't sit back and keep paying out more and more housing allowance without passing that on to their customers so basic goods and services become more expensive until only CEOs and senior oil people can afford to live here and everyone else commutes from Oman

It's already cheaper for some businesses to be based in the UK even with tax now because of the cost of housing and commute times. What does the government here think it is doing? It's dusty and hot here...add expensive to the mix (which also includes lack of freedom and deadly driving) and suddenly travel agents in Europe will be telling people the only place worth visiting in the middle east is Israel...oh wait, they are already telling people that!

N.
Phew, Im safe for a few years.....
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:03 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
a developer in dubai has started to build low cost accommodation which will be around the half a mill mark when finished, but this will be apartments i believe.

so it wont be ready for at least 4 yrs then and it still misses the point that if people have to share to be able to afford rent then they sure as hell arent going to be able to buy a house
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:11 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

a developer in dubai has started to build low cost accommodation which will be around the half a mill mark when finished, but this will be apartments i believe.
Is this the Hydra village they mention in the article? All sold off-plan over 2 years ago (so God only knows how much they are selling for now!!!) and they havent even started building them??
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

but fancy paying for your property for 2 years already and even if they built now thats what another 2 years, so paying a mortgage and rent etc for 4 years
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i have heard people say stay away from hydra village....
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:34 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

but fancy paying for your property for 2 years already and even if they built now thats what another 2 years, so paying a mortgage and rent etc for 4 years
pmsl thats happened to thousands of people already here, JBR, Jumeirah Village, etc etc etc

The best one is Damacs development in the waterfront which after 2yrs and never having broken ground has now been cancelled
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

company provided property, most people that i know have to find the property themselves and pay within their lump sum, the only co's that i know have them is the likes of etihad which of course is a local company. obviously its been mentioned about the rent cap saying that people cannot move because they cant afford to, but remember that you are lucky that the landlord is abiding by the law of 5% this year, who knows what they may decide it will be next year, because things may change, ie you may have to move because they move in a labour camp next door, like we did, and you may have to move if the landlord decides he wants his property back to live in, so nobody is 'safe', old tenants may be put in the exactly same position as new tenants.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

oh yes know about damac, but some of jumeirah village triangle is nearly finished...! after quite a sort space of time compared to others and apparently they look quite good, so my 'sources' say, for 'this build quality of course'.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:38 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by shiva
pmsl thats happened to thousands of people already here, JBR, Jumeirah Village, etc etc etc

The best one is Damacs development in the waterfront which after 2yrs and never having broken ground has now been cancelled
Did I also not hear that Damac have agreed to refund based on the original sale price? If that is not the Number One Reason for not buying a flipped off-plan property in Dubai (and lets face it, 99.99999% of resale property available out there is exactly that!!!) then I don't know what is....

Unless you are abso-******'-lutely, 110%, no doubt about it, like taking candy from a baby, guaranteed to sell it on again at another vastly over-inflated price for what you are actually getting for your money, that is!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

oh yes i think you heard right, you do have to have some luck if you decide to 'join in' because anything can happen. Where in the world do you give the developer all your money before they have even started to dig a hole
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Nav_72 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar issue as well - the Co i am looking to work for wont up the Core Allowance - which leaves me stranded as rental is sooo high i cannot afford to come out there. If i was single, yes no probs, then i can survive, however with a family of 3 kids and 2 adults - its impossible to sustain any kind of quality of living when you are left with "pittance" at the end of the month after topping up schooling and housing .....

So agreed with norm 100% i'm almost on the verge of turning my back on UAE now as i cant sustain living costs. I know there are also a few other Ex-Pats who are working for the same co - who are also thinking of leaving as its just tooo darn expensive.

Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:21 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Nav_72
I have a similar issue as well - the Co i am looking to work for wont up the Core Allowance - which leaves me stranded as rental is sooo high i cannot afford to come out there. If i was single, yes no probs, then i can survive, however with a family of 3 kids and 2 adults - its impossible to sustain any kind of quality of living when you are left with "pittance" at the end of the month after topping up schooling and housing .....

So agreed with norm 100% i'm almost on the verge of turning my back on UAE now as i cant sustain living costs. I know there are also a few other Ex-Pats who are working for the same co - who are also thinking of leaving as its just tooo darn expensive.

Join the throngs, mate....

My personal feeling is that there are a chosen few who are attempting to fleece as much out of all expats (no matter where they come from) before the whole place goes tits-up and prices itself out completely....
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Join the throngs, mate....

My personal feeling is that there are a chosen few who are attempting to fleece as much out of all expats (no matter where they come from) before the whole place goes tits-up and prices itself out completely....
I think the next 6 months will be a very very important time. If the AD govt does not step in then there wont be many expats moving to AD due to the high costs. The expats that are already there, if are in Rental accommodation owned by banks - will be ok - those with rental owned by Arab landlords are a bit more vulnerable.

Things can quite easily go tits up as employers cannot afford to pay staff such huge sums of money where it breaks their business model. If employers do go all ends to pay high prices for staff, it will be putting a strain on the company finances - the balance sheets will look horrid !!!!!. The Company will have to be forced to look for cheaper employment and as such the saying goes - pay peanuts get monkies....... The company then breaches a whole load of SLAs - get penalized, loose contracts and goes tits up - and all staff are let go....

How long can these price increases be sustained before people start heading out of AD in buses...... who knows - remember its not just the upper end of the scale that matters - the poorer cheap laborers are also a vital component to ensuring AD is run properly. The street cleaners, the people in the malls - shop workers, etc - i hate to say this - but i dont think AD can sustain this for very long......

It certainly has priced family oriented people such as me out of the market.......
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree about the rising cost of living in the UAE, and yet look at the number of threads on here from people who are asking about the best way to get a job here. People do evidently still want to come.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Yes they do - I guess a lot of good things have been said abt UAE in general - it is a great place to visit and lots to do for families, however living and visiting are 2 diff things.

I guess the common theme here abt anyone wanting to come to UAE is "how much does it cost to get a place?" - year ago - ppl would have said - o no probs 130K AED for a 3 bed - that fine.......

12 months on........ 220+ in Dubai and 250+ in AD - has prolly raised their eyebrows a bit and made them think twice..... 3times..... etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.