British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Fal compound in Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/fal-compound-riyadh-604202/)

may11 Apr 18th 2009 10:31 pm

Fal compound in Riyadh

hi we have been offered Fal compound in Riyadh, does anyone know what its like?? thanks

TGFKASE Apr 18th 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Fal compound in Riyadh

Originally Posted by may11 (Post 7491890)
hi we have been offered Fal compound in Riyadh, does anyone know what its like?? thanks

From what I here about Saudi, being offered a villa without looking for one yourself is pretty good going..

still.unsure Apr 19th 2009 5:15 am

can't say i've visited fal, but from a number of comments from expats that i know have either lived there or visited the resounding opinion has been "it's alright, nothing flash, but it's a compound."

strongly suggest you go and have a look for yourself. people make a compound and it's always good to get a feel for the atmosphere first hand.

(and yes, as TGF says, a villa in a compound can be as rare as rocking horse shit at the moment...)

andrewpops Apr 19th 2009 6:56 am

I stayed there in 2004 for about six weeks on and off - okay compound, had a pool, gym, tennis and squash courts. They also had a shop and restaurant on compound. Villas were okay, medium sized. Not a lot of western expats on the compound when I was there.

coffindodger Apr 19th 2009 7:05 am

Some usefull info here i hope for you.

Fal Compound
Location: Going towards the airport, pass exits 8A&B by going under the bridge and get off the motorway at the next turn off (by the Riyadh College of Dentistry and Pharmacy); then following the road around to the right, pass by the Fal compound (which is situated on your left) for about half kilometre. Do a U-turn to come back to Fal compound.
Contact person for enquiries: Bassam Jarrar, Compound manager
Telephones249 0091 X4047 /248 5847 X4047 / 248 3761
Email: [email protected]

still.unsure Apr 19th 2009 7:24 am

Originally Posted by andrewpops (Post 7492584)
I stayed there in 2004 for about six weeks on and off - okay compound, had a pool, gym, tennis and squash courts. They also had a shop and restaurant on compound. Villas were okay, medium sized. Not a lot of western expats on the compound when I was there.

there was a website i stumbled upon once when research the magic kingdom that had a breakdown of all the compounds and the percentage occupancy by nationality. bloody interesting read, wish i could find the damn thing again...

Nic1 Apr 19th 2009 2:49 pm

Lots of Lebanese, lots of Lebanese type events and entertainment, bit of a party compound with a Lebanese bias. Know people who live there and they love it.

N

coffindodger Apr 19th 2009 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7492622)
there was a website i stumbled upon once when research the magic kingdom that had a breakdown of all the compounds and the percentage occupancy by nationality. bloody interesting read, wish i could find the damn thing again...

I Think it was the British Community services web site.
The chap that used to run it passed away recently.
Shame it was a very good site lots of good infoas well.

The Dean Apr 19th 2009 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Nic1 (Post 7493498)
Lots of Lebanese, lots of Lebanese type events and entertainment, bit of a party compound with a Lebanese bias. Know people who live there and they love it.

N

I agree, only I'd stress the Lebanese bit even more..............

Nic1 Apr 19th 2009 4:52 pm

Give me a clue . . . who is it ?

N

Alexa Apr 19th 2009 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7493636)

Fal had a pretty crappy reputation when I lived in Riyadh...but that was 4 years ago...things may have changed......

still.unsure Apr 20th 2009 5:53 am

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 7493568)
I Think it was the British Community services web site.
The chap that used to run it passed away recently.
Shame it was a very good site lots of good infoas well.

ah, that's it... bugger, forgot to get that before it was pulled down...

may11 Apr 20th 2009 8:50 am

Thanks guys for all your help,

I cant seem to get on the website for Fal!! does anyone know if it has a nursery?? activity for children?

jeaniep Apr 20th 2009 10:53 am

Hi May 11, are you in Riyadh yet? or are you find a compound yet?? I was in Riyadh 5 years ago and Fal doesn't have anice reputation then.. I have a 3 years old girl and we plan to go there sometime this year ,hope we pump in at some point...

rdan0209 Apr 20th 2009 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7493636)

Was there the past weekend for a "night market",,,,looked like Little Beirut!
Have more apartment like housing-lots of facilities though.