Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

royal45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fal Compound

Hi,

Anybody know in Fal compound is a good place to live? thanks for your reply
Old Mar 18th 2010, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fal Compound

Not sure, but, I hear it's pretty much a mixed bag of different nationalities. My dental hygienist (filipina) lives there and tells of strange happenings.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

samSG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by royal45
Hi,

my co offered to put me up there and i went to take a look. the apartments reminded me more of a dormitory. i heard that on weekends it becomes little beirut.

i know for a fact that some cabin crew were stationed there and the pool became a good place to hang out. nonetheless it drew the ire of some concerned arab wives living there and they complained to the airline's ceo. last i heard this airline's cabin crew aren't staying there anymore.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Don't they have a
"singles" and a family" pool? :/
Old Mar 18th 2010, 3:19 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I lived there for about 6 months in 2002 before being moved to Al Hamra.

I actually liked it a lot, despite it being older and architecturally less 'sophisticated'.

It was nice and open and had enough facilities. There is an outdoor and an indoor pool, plus a nice restaurant from what I remember.

One guy even had a proper bar built into his living room where he plied his trade in home made amber nectar.

I believe a friend of mine eventually bought it off him and moved it lock stock and barrel, to Al Hamra
Old Mar 20th 2010, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Raynman has a spectacular aura aboutRaynman has a spectacular aura aboutRaynman has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

My wife and I recently left FAL compound, I had been three for 6 months in a studio apartment and they promised me I would be in an apartment by the time my wife joined me three months later. Needless to say when she arrived there was nothing available and after three months of endless promises we moved out.

As per other comments, yes they do have "single" and family" outdoor pools but no one seems to mind whichever pool anyone wishes to use. It is not so much "little Beirut" but more like "Lebanon revisited".

It is very much like school dormitories, I understand that it was originally built to house students at the local "Imam" university.

There are signs everywhere stating that you are not allowed to wear the thobe and abaya inside the compound but this is completely ignored and many women go around completely covered and no one says a thing.

The adverts for the compound do look good and they sell it as a "western compound" but it is purely in name only.

To be fair the facilities are good, yes there is an indoor pool, sauna, jacuzzi etc. In addition to the usual gym, video library and book library. There is a supermarket, hairdresser (or Barber if you prefer), limousine service and pizza shop on the compound.

The accommodation itself is dated but no worse that many other places and if you can survive in "Lebanon" then it will be fine. My wife and I know many Lebanese and they have always been the most friendly and hospitable people you could wish to meet but on Fal, maybe because there are so many single men on the compound a "Good Morning" was often met with a grunt or completely ignored.

Whether you are single or have a family you may have to just get on and do your own thing but if you are looking for the social life and to make many friends this will depend on whether you can break down the Beirut Barrier that is FAL compound.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Is it still managed by that big American guy with the big moustache?
Old Mar 20th 2010, 6:37 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Colonel Sanders?

I am surprised to read some of the earlier comments. Sounds like it has become more de-westernised since I was there (almost 7 years ago).
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Raynman has a spectacular aura aboutRaynman has a spectacular aura aboutRaynman has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by The Dean
Is it still managed by that big American guy with the big moustache?
No, it is under Lebanese management, hence the current scenario.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raynman
My wife and I recently left FAL compound, I had been three for 6 months in a studio apartment and they promised me I would be in an apartment by the time my wife joined me three months later. Needless to say when she arrived there was nothing available and after three months of endless promises we moved out.

As per other comments, yes they do have "single" and family" outdoor pools but no one seems to mind whichever pool anyone wishes to use. It is not so much "little Beirut" but more like "Lebanon revisited".

It is very much like school dormitories, I understand that it was originally built to house students at the local "Imam" university.

There are signs everywhere stating that you are not allowed to wear the thobe and abaya inside the compound but this is completely ignored and many women go around completely covered and no one says a thing.

The adverts for the compound do look good and they sell it as a "western compound" but it is purely in name only.

To be fair the facilities are good, yes there is an indoor pool, sauna, jacuzzi etc. In addition to the usual gym, video library and book library. There is a supermarket, hairdresser (or Barber if you prefer), limousine service and pizza shop on the compound.

The accommodation itself is dated but no worse that many other places and if you can survive in "Lebanon" then it will be fine. My wife and I know many Lebanese and they have always been the most friendly and hospitable people you could wish to meet but on Fal, maybe because there are so many single men on the compound a "Good Morning" was often met with a grunt or completely ignored.

Whether you are single or have a family you may have to just get on and do your own thing but if you are looking for the social life and to make many friends this will depend on whether you can break down the Beirut Barrier that is FAL compound.

Never went to that compound, but what the OP said is exactly what I had been told.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

off my list