Face Time

Old Oct 19th 2017, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

mrkjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Face Time

I'm due to start a job in UAE after an absence of 10 yrs from the ME. I now see that there are Apple Stores and prices look good compared to UK. Is Face Time still banned in UAE and hardware blocked from products sold there?
Old Oct 19th 2017, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Face Time

Originally Posted by mrkjd
I'm due to start a job in UAE after an absence of 10 yrs from the ME. I now see that there are Apple Stores and prices look good compared to UK. Is Face Time still banned in UAE and hardware blocked from products sold there?
It's not banned but the majority of the phones you buy here don't have it installed. That said my iphone before this my current one I bought here and that had it installed. If you search around some of the smaller stores you can find them with Facetime.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

So if I buy a macbook or iPhone from the Apple Store in Dubai / Abu Dhabi it won't have Face Time but I can easily add it when back in UK (or using a VPN)? I seem to remember a couple of years ago that the phones were hard-wired not to have FT and it couldn't be easily overcome.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 11:04 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

So if I buy a macbook or iPhone from the Apple Store in Dubai / Abu Dhabi it won't have Face Time but I can easily add it when back in UK (or using a VPN)? I seem to remember a couple of years ago that the phones were hard-wired not to have FT and it couldn't be easily overcome.
My wife tried to install Facetime when back in the UK a couple of years ago and it didn't work.

But from souq.com and you get the Apple products with Facetime (and generally cheaper than the Apple store.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I am aware you cannot add it if it isn't there.... I'm sure some geek could but.....
Old Oct 19th 2017, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for responses so far. Pity UAE Apple products remain partially crippled in this way even from their own stores in country. FT is important for me as Friends & Family use it. Unfortunately I will be based in the field so don't have an UAE address for Souq.com. Was hoping to buy from a retail shop therefore. Are Apple Laptops equally difficult to retro load FaceTime?
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why wait, buy it in UK, get a VAT receipt, claim the 20% VAT back when you leave the country, price is then likely similar.

Or...

Wait until you're in country, take a long weekend, hop over to Bangkok, buy it there, do other stuff, return. Cheaper than UAE and you get a holiday.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

I claimed the VAT back on a laptop years ago when I was resident in Saudi but unfortunately the contract in UAE won’t last long enough for me to gain non residency from the UK and I am on rotation back to the UK so can’t claim back VAT. The wife would probably have some misgivings if I flew the other way to BKK for a few days as well!
Old Oct 19th 2017, 6:55 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

We've bought Apple iPhones SE from Virgin Superstore in Mall of the Emirates in Dubai and have also bought iPad Mini 4 and iPad Pro 10.5" from Virgin Superstore in City Centre Mall in Muscat and they all have Facetime.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

You may have been lucky with those Virgin purchases as there seem to be plenty of disgruntled tourists online who’s Dubai shopping experience is to end up with a hobbled phone. Anybody know a reliable electronics store in AD that does Apple gray imports?
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

buy the phone from outside the UAE and you'll get FT with it.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mission
buy the phone from outside the UAE and you'll get FT with it.
Not exactly helpful
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not exactly helpful
Well seriously, what are you looking for exactly? Someone to go into every shop in the UAE, esquire for you and report back? You asked and were advised..... I even told you that some shops do and some don't, you need to shop around.

Asking the same question again and again and expecting a different answer is.....
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Well seriously, what are you looking for exactly? Someone to go into every shop in the UAE, esquire for you and report back? You asked and were advised..... I even told you that some shops do and some don't
Very silly reply. “Esquire for me”? Maybe you should have a nice lie down and sleep it off. Nothing to see here jam & mission ..... now move along please
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Can the mods lock this thread now before it attracts more idiocy? Thanks to all who took the time to usefully contribute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.