British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   FA Cup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/fa-cup-591615/)

Spugsy Feb 16th 2009 11:33 am

Re: FA Cup

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7289974)
oh you mean Al Jazeera, not Cov!

So what will happen to McCaffrey then?

Did we send you down in 77? To be honest we must have done that to many a club over the years, oh the heady days of a Div 1/Premiership relegation scrap...

We were the 4th longest serving club in the top league until our demise into obscurity...

christ McCaffrey is a bell-end.

Sandboy Feb 16th 2009 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7289974)
Did we send you down in 77? To be honest we must have done that to many a club over the years, oh the heady days of a Div 1/Premiership relegation scrap...

not that I'm bitter or owt you understand :D but I cried myself to sleep that night in 1977

Perhaps the most infamous incident involving Sunderland and Coventry came in 1977…but the two teams weren’t even playing each other at the time. Coventry were due to play Bristol City at Highfield Road and Sunderland were away at Everton. Jimmy Hill delayed the kickoff at Highfield Road by fifteen minutes as many Bristol supporters were delayed by traffic. With five minutes to go and Coventry holding Bristol to a 2-2 scoreline, word reached them that Sunderland were losing at Everton (they eventually lost 2-0) and the score was displayed on the Coventry scoreboards, so that both sets of players were aware. RTG’s away match reports-meister Herts takes up the story: “When they realised they only needed a draw to both stay up the two teams spent 15 minutes kicking back and forward to each other, condemning Sunderland to relegation with Stoke and Spurs. Coventry finished 19th of 22 and Bristol City 18th. A Football League inquiry was held but Jimmy Hill, who was in a senior postiion at the Football League did not stand to one side while the inquiry was held - instead he made sure he was in a position to interfere the whole way through. Coventry were asked to try not to do it again (yeah, right) but the result stood.

“20 years later when we were top-flight relegation rivals once again, this time us at Wimbledon and Coventry at Spurs (if we both got the same result SAFC stayed up but our defeat meant they knew they could stay uip by getting a result) somehow 15,000 SAFC supporters managed to make it down to South London for a 3.00 kick-off while 3,000 Coventry supportes faced such appalling traffic delays in getting to North London (I assume all us SAFC supporters flew to Gatwick otherwise we would have been using the same roads) that their kick-off was delayed by 15 minutes again. Once again we went down.”

nottmbantam Feb 16th 2009 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7289592)
serious get a dodgy card, I've got one, cost me £50 for a years worth of Al Jazeerah channels.

We don't have a set top box or anything, the channels are piped straight in via the tv ariel, all free courteousy of the compound we're on - so nowhere to put any card of any description!

Sky Blue Feb 17th 2009 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7290192)
not that I'm bitter or owt you understand :D but I cried myself to sleep that night in 1977

Perhaps the most infamous incident involving Sunderland and Coventry came in 1977…but the two teams weren’t even playing each other at the time. Coventry were due to play Bristol City at Highfield Road and Sunderland were away at Everton. Jimmy Hill delayed the kickoff at Highfield Road by fifteen minutes as many Bristol supporters were delayed by traffic. With five minutes to go and Coventry holding Bristol to a 2-2 scoreline, word reached them that Sunderland were losing at Everton (they eventually lost 2-0) and the score was displayed on the Coventry scoreboards, so that both sets of players were aware. RTG’s away match reports-meister Herts takes up the story: “When they realised they only needed a draw to both stay up the two teams spent 15 minutes kicking back and forward to each other, condemning Sunderland to relegation with Stoke and Spurs. Coventry finished 19th of 22 and Bristol City 18th. A Football League inquiry was held but Jimmy Hill, who was in a senior postiion at the Football League did not stand to one side while the inquiry was held - instead he made sure he was in a position to interfere the whole way through. Coventry were asked to try not to do it again (yeah, right) but the result stood.

“20 years later when we were top-flight relegation rivals once again, this time us at Wimbledon and Coventry at Spurs (if we both got the same result SAFC stayed up but our defeat meant they knew they could stay uip by getting a result) somehow 15,000 SAFC supporters managed to make it down to South London for a 3.00 kick-off while 3,000 Coventry supportes faced such appalling traffic delays in getting to North London (I assume all us SAFC supporters flew to Gatwick otherwise we would have been using the same roads) that their kick-off was delayed by 15 minutes again. Once again we went down.”

Yeah but we beat Spurs 2-1 and put you down, dont think that the delay had enything to do with a late kick off, I was living about 15 mins from WHL at the time and terrible transport around there ;) We knew how to stay up thats all and we sent a fair fwe teams down, Notts County in 92 rings true as well, last day, we lost and they lost fortunately we stayed up...

Good Old Jimmy H, the guy did wonders at HR, took us into the top flight and Europe...

Superdarts Mar 1st 2009 10:55 am

Just called the sports bar downtown and they are not showing the Cup Final today – anybody know anywhere showing it?

jrudofsky Mar 1st 2009 11:57 am

I'm meeting some mates at the Locker Room in the Golden Tulip (Al Barsha) as they believe it's on there?!

Superdarts Mar 1st 2009 12:12 pm

Seemingly on Aljazeera +3 and +4, Double Deckers is close to me but nobody answering the phone, ill have a walk down when I get home anyways.

benzonar Mar 1st 2009 2:18 pm

Well hacked off, for some reason my Al Jazeera card has decided to stop working after only 9 months.

Thieving barstewards! :curse: