British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Eye Test for Driving Licence.....? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/eye-test-driving-licence-552127/)

MrsHaps Jul 30th 2008 5:08 am

Eye Test for Driving Licence.....?

Does anyone know the recommended list of Opticians to obtain your UAE driving licence. Ive been trying all morning to find them and i am getting no where!!!

jrudofsky Jul 30th 2008 5:27 am

Re: Eye Test for Driving Licence.....?

Where are you? I think most do it. There is one in Jumeirah in the same place as the driving licence place?

MrsHaps Jul 30th 2008 5:29 am

Originally Posted by jrudofsky (Post 6626663)
Where are you? I think most do it. There is one in Jumeirah in the same place as the driving licence place?

Still surrounded by songs in Ajman at the mo but i start work on Sunday so i am trying to get the eye test done now so i only have to take a couple of hours off work to get the licence! That is where my boss has told me to go but to get an eye test done first. I was going to go to the small mall here and just ask if they are approved opticians?

Bonny Boy Jul 30th 2008 5:33 am

For various and complicated reasons I have in the past 6 months had a driving licence issued from both Dubai and Sharjah, and in both instances the eye sight test was done at the licence issuing office.

This did not add much to the overall processing time.

MataHari Jul 30th 2008 5:35 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6626668)
Still surrounded by songs in Ajman at the mo but i start work on Sunday so i am trying to get the eye test done now so i only have to take a couple of hours off work to get the licence! That is where my boss has told me to go but to get an eye test done first. I was going to go to the small mall here and just ask if they are approved opticians?

I have gone along with a few people to get their license and they just did the test there...the one on SZR near the Garden Centre, there is a little building outside that you go to first where they type up your application, there is a guy there that sits with his feet on his desk ..he'll just sit there talking to his collegues, not paying attention to you at all while he ask you to read out stuff and thats the eyetest done...

MrsHaps Jul 30th 2008 5:41 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6626688)
I have gone along with a few people to get their license and they just did the test there...the one on SZR near the Garden Centre, there is a little building outside that you go to first where they type up your application, there is a guy there that sits with his feet on his desk ..he'll just sit there talking to his collegues, not paying attention to you at all while he ask you to read out stuff and thats the eyetest done...

Wow they are so thorough here...!

Ive found info from the actual website that says an optician... thats it, maybe they dont have approved and i have been sent on another wild goose chase!! Becoming a regular thing now!

MataHari Jul 30th 2008 5:44 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6626699)
Wow they are so thorough here...!

Ive found info from the actual website that says an optician... thats it, maybe they dont have approved and i have been sent on another wild goose chase!! Becoming a regular thing now!

I have no idea if there is a difference in the rules for a temp license or a permanent one...the times that I have taken people have all been temps...but then again when I went for my permanent one, I never had a test at an optician, but that is a few years back so god knows what the rules are like now...(I realise this really is not helping you at all, lol)

Bonny Boy Jul 30th 2008 5:48 am

I got a temp licence for Dubai, and the eye sight test was done at the licence office. But then my RP was done for Sharjah, and the RP and driving licence have to match (apparently), so I went to Sharjah for my permanent licence, and again the eye sight test was done at the licence office.

MataHari Jul 30th 2008 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 6626712)
I got a temp licence for Dubai, and the eye sight test was done at the licence office. But then my RP was done for Sharjah, and the RP and driving licence have to match (apparently), so I went to Sharjah for my permanent licence, and again the eye sight test was done at the licence office.

well...looks like Mrs Haps needs to go and find out herself and report back so we all know what the rules are...lol
I personally would just go to the license place and see what they say...

MrsHaps Jul 30th 2008 5:59 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6626721)
well...looks like Mrs Haps needs to go and find out herself and report back so we all know what the rules are...lol
I personally would just go to the license place and see what they say...

Aye well there lies the problem, i can get to Dubai but can i sh!t get back...!!! doesnt matter how many maps i follow or BIG road signs i still get lost as soon as i hit Sharjah and i dont think my butt can take another 3 hours of driving and off roading - Baring in mind i have a little Mazda rental car!!

I think i will just bite the bullet and go to the driving place in Dubai once my passport has come back, i believe it is open from 7.30am, i dont start work until 9.00am. I will park my car at work then get a taxi there and back, i should be back for 9.00am. Its only 10 minutes down the road!!

Thanks anyway though, i will try and find out the laws once this is done next week!

MataHari Jul 30th 2008 6:02 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6626728)
Aye well there lies the problem, i can get to Dubai but can i sh!t get back...!!! doesnt matter how many maps i follow or BIG road signs i still get lost as soon as i hit Sharjah and i dont think my butt can take another 3 hours of driving and off roading - Baring in mind i have a little Mazda rental car!!

I think i will just bite the bullet and go to the driving place in Dubai once my passport has come back, i believe it is open from 7.30am, i dont start work until 9.00am. I will park my car at work then get a taxi there and back, i should be back for 9.00am. Its only 10 minutes down the road!!

Thanks anyway though, i will try and find out the laws once this is done next week!

yeah..you need to take your pasport with you...and your license, and a few pics...
good luck!

TGFKASE Jul 30th 2008 7:00 am

Dubai no longer issue temp driving licences... Tried to get for OH last week....

Have to wait for the residence visa to be processed before applying for full DL. Of, course that means I have to fork out for her rental for a longer period of time now..!!!

MataHari Jul 30th 2008 7:01 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 6626828)
Dubai no longer issue temp driving licences... Tried to get for OH last week....

Have to wait for the residence visa to be processed before applying for full DL. Of, course that means I have to fork out for her rental for a longer period of time now..!!!

you have got to be kidding....what kind of stupid thing is that...