Exporting car from the UAE to the UK

Exporting car from the UAE to the UK

Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:32 pm
dub
Forum Regular

dub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exporting car from the UAE to the UK

hi

I'm in the process of buying a car in Dubai. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to stretch to something nice but like many people I'm not sure how long I'm going to be here. Could be 1 year it could be 5! Just taking things as they come.

Common sense tells me I should get something mid-range but if I got a pricey motor would it be easy/pricey to export to the UK when I leave these shores? I'm assuming the duty I'd have to pay in the UK would make it prohibitively expensive?

I've had a look at previous car related threads but can't seem to find the answer. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting car from the UAE to the UK

Originally Posted by dub
hi

I'm in the process of buying a car in Dubai. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to stretch to something nice but like many people I'm not sure how long I'm going to be here. Could be 1 year it could be 5! Just taking things as they come.

Common sense tells me I should get something mid-range but if I got a pricey motor would it be easy/pricey to export to the UK when I leave these shores? I'm assuming the duty I'd have to pay in the UK would make it prohibitively expensive?

I've had a look at previous car related threads but can't seem to find the answer. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.
would be a waste of money. You'd have to pay duty and hipping and then you'd be lumbered with a left hand drive car in the UK which would have a low resale value.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:39 pm

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
would be a waste of money. You'd have to pay duty and hipping and then you'd be lumbered with a left hand drive car in the UK which would have a low resale value.
Not necessarily, if you buy the right model, ie a yank motor that isn't imported to the UK, you could drive it for a year or two, import it back and still make a profit. Also, Lhd is only a problem if it's a car that is sold as a UK model, a Hummer for example is only brought over in very limited numbers and as they start at under 20K here, you'd have no rpoblem selling it for a tidy profit back home.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear
Not necessarily, if you buy the right model, ie a yank motor that isn't imported to the UK, you could drive it for a year or two, import it back and still make a profit. Also, Lhd is only a problem if it's a car that is sold as a UK model, a Hummer for example is only brought over in very limited numbers and as they start at under 20K here, you'd have no rpoblem selling it for a tidy profit back home.
after getting all the lights (rear indicators etc) changed!
even then it base price here is more than buying the same car in the US and the Ocean Freight will be a lot more.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
after getting all the lights (rear indicators etc) changed!
even then it base price here is more than buying the same car in the US and the Ocean Freight will be a lot more.
I've been quoted 4000Dhm to take a car back through a friend. To Transport a car back from the states, you're looking at 1500 sterling plus. Light conversions are easy if you go through the right company in the UK. The only other issue would be getting a Mph Speedo. Still works out cheaper than buying in the US. For instance, you can buy a Charger Hemi here for 115,000Dhm(17K sterling). There is a 2006 model Hemi for sale in the UK at the moment for 26,500 Sterling. You work out 2 years motoring, 4000Dhm freight costs, factor 2K sterling to convert to UK spec and you've effecticely driven for nothing for 2 years and may make a profit. The most you would get knocked from Rhd to Lhd on one of these is a couple of K.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:53 pm

Just found a 2 year old Lhd Hummer H3 in the UK for 21,000 Sterling. You can buy a new one for that here. Again, I rest my case!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:57 pm

Or a 2007 Lhd H3 with 4000 miles for 34K! How much more is that than here?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:01 pm

Have a look at the price of 2 and 3 year old Mustangs in the UK, all Lhd, it'll make you feel better!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it does mean having to own a Hummer though! Chavtastic!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:04 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

my dad brought back an Audi A6 - fully loaded model. Paid about half what it would cost in the UK, had to change over the lights, petrol filler nozzle, pay the duty and off he went.

In all he was up about 15,000 pounds even after he paid the duty and having a leftie car is no problem - I always used his car when we were back in the UK. The high spec he got on the car you couldnt even order in the UK and the Audi dealership drooled over it for years!

he sold it this year. Got 2k less than a right hand drive model so I think that with the original money he saved plus the much higher spec he got he did well and had a car he loved for 7 years.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:08 pm

Your right, you don't have to buy a Hummer, but if you buy the right car, you can effectively have free motoring for a couple of years in something a little bit different and possibly make a profit. I had a Lhd BMW M5 in the UK, had no problems driving or registering it. Drove it for a while sold it for more than comparative UK Rhd models because of the condition. People may take the piss out of your Mustang, but if you take it back, you won't lose. There are enthusiasts who will buy that sort of thing in the UK for a premium regardless of Petrol and tax prices.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:09 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

You'd have to pay duty and shipping
You can actually avoid the duty and VAT as long as you provide proof that you have owned the car for at least 6 months outside the EU, and keep it for at least one year after bringing it into the UK.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear
Your right, you don't have to buy a Hummer, but if you buy the right car, you can effectively have free motoring for a couple of years in something a little bit different and possibly make a profit. I had a Lhd BMW M5 in the UK, had no problems driving or registering it. Drove it for a while sold it for more than comparative UK Rhd models because of the condition. People may take the piss out of your Mustang, but if you take it back, you won't lose. There are enthusiasts who will buy that sort of thing in the UK for a premium regardless of Petrol and tax prices.
only problem with that plan is that there is no f##king way I'm moving back to the UK. I doubt i'll be in Dubai too long but after that I plan to head to Singapore or Hong Kong. Where I'll probably end up driving a bloody yaris!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:09 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dub
hi

I've been looking into this too.

I'm thinking of buying a Porsche Cayman S (mid life crisis - WTF). I've been told that I need to own it and drive it in Dubai for at least 6 months before I think about shipping it back to the UK.

When you do ship it back - it is then classed as 'Household Goods' and doesn't attract import duty. The thinking behind this is that you are not importing the car to sell on - it is something you have owned and used in UAE.

The catch is that when back in the UK, you can't sell the car within the 1st 12 months.

As mentioned previosuly, there will be issues with lights (need to be changed).

Depending on the type of car you buy, there may also be issues with the fuel system (The Porsche dealer here reckons that the Caymen would need some work done in this area when back in the UK. ). I'm not convinced about this, as 95 and 98 RON petrol are available both here and in the UK.

Maybe it's something to do with differences in fuel additives. Does anyone know?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by NedKelly63
I've been looking into this too.

I'm thinking of buying a Porsche Cayman S (mid life crisis - WTF). I've been told that I need to own it and drive it in Dubai for at least 6 months before I think about shipping it back to the UK.

When you do ship it back - it is then classed as 'Household Goods' and doesn't attract import duty. The thinking behind this is that you are not importing the car to sell on - it is something you have owned and used in UAE.

The catch is that when back in the UK, you can't sell the car within the 1st 12 months.

As mentioned previosuly, there will be issues with lights (need to be changed).

Depending on the type of car you buy, there may also be issues with the fuel system (The Porsche dealer here reckons that the Caymen would need some work done in this area when back in the UK. ). I'm not convinced about this, as 95 and 98 RON petrol are available both here and in the UK.

Maybe it's something to do with differences in fuel additives. Does anyone know?
I did hear an issue to do with cars a few years ago where the emmissions systems were different. Although this was a South African car that didn't have a cat. Best thing to do would be to contact Porsche GB in Reading or even Stuttgart and ask if there are any differences. I don't think there will be in fairness, and lets face it, the fuel in the UK will be better quality not worse, so shouldn't be an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.