Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Exporting a car from AD to Bahrain

Exporting a car from AD to Bahrain

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exporting a car from AD to Bahrain

I have used the search function but not come up with any results so wonder if anyone can help

Has anyone exported a car from AD to Bahrain and know the process for getting export plates and arranging transport ?

Does anyone know the names of any reliable car transport companies ?
Driving it back is not an option as once my Bh RP is in the passport, it then has to go off back to the UK for my 6 month Saudi visa which is another month away

And also if it will be a problem as I am no longer a resident there, my AD RP was cancelled when I left ?

Got let down at the last minute so many times trying to sell it that I just paid off the loan and left it there outside a friends to avoid future immigration issues and the fact I wasnt willing to sell a 12 month old car for 25% of its purchase price !!

Any information gladly received either on this post or by PM

Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting a car from AD to Bahrain

In case anyone wants to know the process
1. Turn up Muroor at 7 am before everyone else rocks up at 7.30 and park in front of the inspection bays
2. Pay your inspection fee inside the main building and hand over slip to the inspector
3. 60 seconds later after a look see he will hand over the inspection pass cert
4. park up round the corner and remove number plates
5. Get a numbered ticket from the 2 guys at the desk by the entance
6. Go next door and get export insurance (150 aed for 4 days)
7. Hand over insurance, passport showing residency, number platesinspection cert, bank clearance cert, AD driving licence and export fee
8 She issues export certificate
9. Drive around the corner to the number plate factory and hand over export cert and number plate fee
10. Ten minutes later take new plates to the guy at the end of the factory who will drill and fit them for you for 10 aed.
Total time at Murroor 2.5 hours start to finish
11. Drive to dealer and hand over copy of passport, export certificate, etc and come back in 3 days to collect your import duty paid document

Things that can really screw you up
1. Not having a valid AD residency stamp. Mine was cancelled when I left and they refused to accept my Bahraini residency
2. Not having AD driving licence with you. I had brought my Bahraini licence by mistake but they insisted on seeing the AD licence. No idea why
3. Make sure you have enough dirhams as no cards were taken. If you have no fines then 1000 aed will cover the lot
4. You can argue the point that export insurance is not needed but it is to make things run smoothly and I gave up in the end as it is only 150 aed.
5. They dont check for Salik as I think I have a fine outstanding but that may change I guess at some point
6. Check on the AD police website for outstanding fines against your vehicle before you go as there can be nasty surprises

I sold the car to a Saudi in the end and he argued all the above in my favor but the level of shouting was unbelievable. Got a good price so very happy indeed.

As for transport costs, these vary widely. Most of the big removal companies will only ship by sea to avoid hassles in Saudi. You can budget on minimum 800 Bhd after haggling but they cannot de-register your car for you. They can however re-register your car for you in Bahrain if you have your CPR and are willing to pay them for the pleasure. I have details of a decent guy who I trust and who owns one of the famous moving companies if you need it.

You can get a Bahraini to drive your car for you across Saudi but the risk is on you and if it gets stopped at a customs post then its just tough titties on you. Price is around 300 Bhd all in.

If you have a Saudi visa then you can do the drive yourself for the cost of fuel but the above risks still stand

Due to the low cost of cars in AD and relatively high in Bahrain, it still makes financial sense to buy low and ship it as the process form that point of view is relatively straight forward. Its the seller or exporter, in this case me, who has to have everything right.

Am now renting cars quite happily with no risk in Bahrain and will continue to do so.
If you want more information just PM and I will be happy to expand on the above
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

re salik fines, in ad when you register or whatever with your car, they are not bothered about the salik fines.... they are in dubai. if you have a dubai visa etc and need to re-register there then you would need to pay these off too!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 5:40 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh

You can get a Bahraini to drive your car for you across Saudi but the risk is on you and if it gets stopped at a customs post then its just tough titties on you. Price is around 300 Bhd all in.

If you have a Saudi visa then you can do the drive yourself for the cost of fuel but the above risks still stand
I have been thinking about getting a car in AD/Dubai and registering it in either Saudi or Bahrain. I have a Saudi iqama so I could pick it up myself, but curious what the risks are that I would have to take...From what I've heard in the past it is simply a case of paying one of the many agents that exist approx SR3,000 (=BD300).
Old Mar 20th 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have a multiple entry saudi visa so actually entering the magic kingdom and driving through in itself is not a problem however if they find or think they find an issue with your paperwork (all in Arabic) then they can just leave you with a vehicle stuck in Saudi. There is a Lexus belonging to a friend stuck in Saudi right now because of a documentation issue with customs.
As it says in the thread, many people have no problems. I just couldnt be arsed risking anything else going wrong with a process that had gone horribly wrong from start to finish.
Get the paperwork right and it should be a breeze ..... and cars in the UAE are generally dirt cheap
Old Mar 20th 2010, 6:50 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Right. I see. So I better take an Arabic speaker along for the ride if I ever go though with it. And if the sh*t hits the fan it's time to call in favours. It's incredible how much indirect wasta you can acquire over time in Saudi.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

To be honest, thats the route I would take and then it should be a walk in the park even if there are paper work issues as they can be sorted by him.

For what it will cost in Marlboro, food and a night on the lash in Warbler; I reckon it would still be a bargain considering how much you will save on the price of the car

Or just hope that your paperwork is ok and that you dont meet any awkward officials
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:51 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Warbler eh? I still find that place oddly quaint with the statues, streetlights and all that. And I'm not convinced I like the thin layer of grease which seems to cover the entire joint. Good place to watch football with a few pints though.