Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Explorer: Residence Guide to Abu Dhabi (2009)

Explorer: Residence Guide to Abu Dhabi (2009)

Old Aug 4th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice
Default Explorer: Residence Guide to Abu Dhabi (2009)

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of using the "Explorer: Residence Guide to Abu Dhabi" - it came on 1st July 2009.

Anyway, in my recent visit to AD I spent some time reading through the 2006 edition, which is scarily out of date. Just by my small amount of general knowledge which I've picked up from you friendly bunch, I could tell I needed to read a more updated one.

Have any of you had any experience of reading the 2009 edition? The reason I ask is because I'll be living in Abu Dhabi for 3 to 6 months (which is where most of my paperwork/driving licence/health checks) are all going to be done. I may then be looking to live from Dubai. I understand some rules are different, etc... but will the majority of information (such as registrations/licencing) that I read up on in the Abu Dhabi guide be applicable in Dubai?

Cheers
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:23 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Explorer: Residence Guide to Abu Dhabi (2009)

Originally Posted by Amnesia180
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of using the "Explorer: Residence Guide to Abu Dhabi" - it came on 1st July 2009.

Anyway, in my recent visit to AD I spent some time reading through the 2006 edition, which is scarily out of date. Just by my small amount of general knowledge which I've picked up from you friendly bunch, I could tell I needed to read a more updated one.

Have any of you had any experience of reading the 2009 edition? The reason I ask is because I'll be living in Abu Dhabi for 3 to 6 months (which is where most of my paperwork/driving licence/health checks) are all going to be done. I may then be looking to live from Dubai. I understand some rules are different, etc... but will the majority of information (such as registrations/licencing) that I read up on in the Abu Dhabi guide be applicable in Dubai?

Cheers
some of it will, some won't, what more can I say?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
some of it will, some won't, what more can I say?
I'll just buy AD one for now and then the Dubai one when needed!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I'll just buy AD one for now and then the Dubai one when needed!
we often get them donated to the book sale, if one comes in I will keep it for you
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

we often get them donated to the book sale, if one comes in I will keep it for you
Thank you, that'd be great (I'll give it back once finished).
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:55 pm
Concierge

Thank you, that'd be great (I'll give it back once finished).
you probably won't need one, there isn't much you can't find out about Dubai by posting on here
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

you probably won't need one, there isn't much you can't find out about Dubai by posting on here
Very good point, I've already found out so much about Dubai from reading the threads here.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I attempted to assist making the 2009 more current, not sure if they took anything on board though. I told them to lurk in here
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sarahb79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benzonar
I attempted to assist making the 2009 more current, not sure if they took anything on board though. I told them to lurk in here
I've got the AD one which is 2007 and the Dubai one which is 2009. most of the legal stuff is the same in both books, just obviously more up to date in newer book. I didn't think they were bringing out a new version of the AD one this year.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sarahb79
I've got the AD one which is 2007 and the Dubai one which is 2009. most of the legal stuff is the same in both books, just obviously more up to date in newer book. I didn't think they were bringing out a new version of the AD one this year.
Hey there. Thanks for the info.

Yes, there is a new one this year - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abu-Dhabi-Co...9459034&sr=8-2 . (Released 1st July 2009).
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hey there. Thanks for the info.

Yes, there is a new one this year - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abu-Dhabi-Co...9459034&sr=8-2 . (Released 1st July 2009).
Cheers for that. Typical though, friends bought me old version for my birthday in May and now have quandry of do i get the newer version. hmm
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sarahb79
Cheers for that. Typical though, friends bought me old version for my birthday in May and now have quandry of do i get the newer version. hmm
Well, if there is anything specific that you would like to know/compare - you can just ask. I don't mind having a quick look for you.

I can't imagine there being too much different from 2008-2009, can there?!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Well, if there is anything specific that you would like to know/compare - you can just ask. I don't mind having a quick look for you.

I can't imagine there being too much different from 2008-2009, can there?!
Hopefully not too different and mainly the leagal stuff is covered in the Dubai one and it appears to be the same information.