Reload this Page >

Experiencing the Riyadh High Life

Experiencing the Riyadh High Life

Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:48 pm
QED
Just Joined

QED is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experiencing the Riyadh High Life

Just a quick hello to one and all from sunny Riyadh. Managed to arrive in Saudi for the start of Ramadan. I figure if I can survive the fast pace of Ramadan, then I should be able to manage the rest of the year!!!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiencing the Riyadh High Life

Hi, Welcome to Riyadh and of course welcome to the Board.

If you survive the traffic at night time during Ramadan, then you've cracked it. The slow pace during the day is just to lull you into a false sense of security...

Personally, I think night times during Ramadan are great!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Welcome.

I am also a newbie like you, just been here for a few months. Looks like more Brits are comming to Riyadh now.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

monkieie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by QED
Just a quick hello to one and all from sunny Riyadh. Managed to arrive in Saudi for the start of Ramadan. I figure if I can survive the fast pace of Ramadan, then I should be able to manage the rest of the year!!!
Welcome to Riydh mate. If you can survive this place during this horrible time of year then you can survive anywhere
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

di_hb is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Riyadh
If you are at a loose end and want to meet other expats join the Friday hash group. We walk in the desert every Friday. I an forward details if interested.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkieie
Welcome to Riydh mate. If you can survive this place during this horrible time of year then you can survive anywhere
I don't think it's horrible at all, I actually really enjoy Ramadan in Saudi, much prefer it to Ramadan in UK.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Riyadh-Newbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Hi, Welcome to Riyadh and of course welcome to the Board.

If you survive the traffic at night time during Ramadan, then you've cracked it. The slow pace during the day is just to lull you into a false sense of security...

Personally, I think night times during Ramadan are great!
Where do they all seem to be going at night? Rush hour here seem to start at 9:30ish. Is something going on at that time that I've not yet been initiated into?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Cloutman is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the Malls are still the big attraction. You can't move on the Olaya St by the Kingdom Tower after 10:00. Everyone's queuing to get into the Mall car park! It can be chaos - but intersting to see!
All the best!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

monkieie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Riyadh-Newbie
Where do they all seem to be going at night? Rush hour here seem to start at 9:30ish. Is something going on at that time that I've not yet been initiated into?
I've often wondered that myself. I mean, how much shopping does the average person need to do exactly? For my part I am glad when I can stay out of it.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

During Ramadan, as it is the holy month and very special for Muslims - hence why the majority of people here DON'T think its horrible - the night time prayers are extended.

Usually the night prayers are around 8pm ish now, but during Ramadan, these prayer are conducted as normal,but are immediately followed by another set of prayers which are said only during Ramadan, and these basically recite THe Holy Quran in its entirety . THese prayers are known as the Taraweeh prayers, and generally take up to about an hour. However, towards the end of Ramadan, these prayers shorten, as THe Holy Quran's last few chapters are very short.

So what you people will notice, (apart from the horrible time of year ) is that night life only gets going around 9.30 onwards AFTER the night time prayers and Taraweeh prayers have concluded, which is why people are generally in a rush to get wherever they need to get to. Bearing in mind most shops will lose around 2.00am, there actually isn't that much shopping time, if the shops don't open til 10.00pm.

I can't believe the attitude of some people, moaning on about a country you have chosen to come an live in and then make no effort to find out about its own culture and lifestyle. Sheesh. Head against brick wall. Get a grip.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Loulabelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to the original poster and welcome to Riyadh!

Things will quieten down when everyone goes back to school... but i do tend to avoid the malls after the Magrib Prayers (sunset) as it can get a bit busy and crazy...

Nicely said to the last poster