Expat Tax!!!!!!!

Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:25 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Tax!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by TA5
I still don't get how you are figuring i'm getting taxed on this, my salary is below $80,000. Do you think i call up the IRS and tell them all the other money i'm receiving indirectly? NO WAY. As far as they are concerned I'm earning $75000.

The only money we can get taxed on is money we bring back to the US. Up to $80,000 is tax free. I don't see how you think i get taxed on my benefits over here. They aren't even in my name for the most part (my apt is, but the car isn't).
i think i might see what you are getting at, you are figuring that i receive my salary plus all this extra money myself as payment. I receive my salary monthly, all the other stuff is provided for me in the name of the company. My apartment was paid for when i got here, my car was given to me, I am reimbursed for all my travel expenses, gas, pretty much everything except for food. I'm not actually 'given' the cash up front for these things, but the benefit is that i have no limit on them.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:54 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
i think i might see what you are getting at, you are figuring that i receive my salary plus all this extra money myself as payment. I receive my salary monthly, all the other stuff is provided for me in the name of the company. My apartment was paid for when i got here, my car was given to me, I am reimbursed for all my travel expenses, gas, pretty much everything except for food. I'm not actually 'given' the cash up front for these things, but the benefit is that i have no limit on them.

Aha I see, yes well that makes sense now. Sorry I was just trying to make sure I had understood you correctly....thanks for being so patient

Having said that, regardless of whether your house, car etc are under company name you are still liable and they 'should' be included!!!! IF you get found out and are an American Citizen you will get charged on returning to the US. If you do not return to the US your passport will not be renewed until you pay, whether it be 5 years or 25 years.

I know an American citizen living in Dubai has been audited twice by the IRS.

Be careful.

Last edited by Jellybean; Nov 11th 2004 at 11:14 am.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:15 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jellybean
Aha I see, yes well that makes sense now. Sorry I was just trying to make sure I had understood you correctly....thanks for being so patient

Having said that, regardless of whether your house, car etc are under company name you are still liable and they 'should' be included!!!! IF you get found out and are an American Citizen you will get charged on returning to the US. If you do not return to the US your passport will not be renewed until you pay, whether it be 5 years or 25 years.

I know an American citizen living in Dubai has been audited twice by the IRS.

Be careful.

Sorry I am not enjoying this, I find the whole tax thing frightening :scared:
Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Sorry I am not enjoying this, I find the whole tax thing frightening :scared:

What is your profession JB? You seem to have a fair bit of knowledge or is it just personal experience.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
What is your profession JB? You seem to have a fair bit of knowledge or is it just personal experience.
No thankfully not from personal experience. Inland revenue yes

I just want to be as prepared for whatever is thrown at us expats. It's taken a long time coming...but it is and it will hit hard. Not a lot we can do about it.

I don't think getting stressed about it or harping on about what is right or wrong is worth it. I have seen both sides and it's a fine line overall. I don't want to get into a discussion about that :scared: but I do find interesting what people try and do get away with. Don't worry, I haven't worked for IR for many years lol.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

I just want to be as prepared for whatever is thrown at us expats. It's taken a long time coming...but it is and it will hit hard. Not a lot we can do about it.

I don't think getting stressed about it or harping on about what is right or wrong is worth it. I have seen both sides and it's a fine line overall. I don't want to get into a discussion about that :scared: but I do find interesting what people try and do get away with. Don't worry, I haven't worked for IR for many years lol.

Ahh, I knew it. I'm not worried but had a vibe.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Do you think employers here might raise salaries to offset taxes, JB?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
Do you think employers here might raise salaries to offset taxes, JB?

Well as you well know employers can only do what they can do, if they can't then they won't. It comes down to profit margins at the end of the day. I think...in my opinion that certain industries will cope ok....profit margins are good and there are ways of getting around certain issues like companies buying properties rather than supplying accommodation. Employees paying minimal rents etc.... yes always ways of getting around problems.

Now being an expat myself brings a whole new view of things. It really is too early to tell, like with most changes, things may go AWOL for a while then settle down. The problem is that you will always be looked upon as a freeloader until it is seen that you are paying your way.

Looking a long way ahead of course, what benefits the UK in penalising the UK expats working abroad, who are probably afterall benefitting the UK in many ways.

Ahhh I could go round in circles really. Best thing is not to worry too much until something happens...remember expats are survivors that's why we are here.

Sorry long winded reply but I do a PT when on tax issues
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:36 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

I dont wish to start a debate on this, but personally i am loathed to pay UK tax if i am not in the UK. What benefit do i get apart from a UK passport (which any asylum seeker can get these days)

I would rather pay good money for private healthcare than pay good money for a bad one.

I would rather pay a private pension than a state one which will not pay out anything at the end of its term.

I would rather pay for my children to go to private school than state.

I think its utter BS to pay taxes for services you dont want or use.

Would you pay someone else's finance on a car for them to drive?...uhh nope.

then why should i pay for Chavs and asylum seekers to sit at home and watch tv all day ??

I have no desire to subsidise someone else's lifestyle.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I dont wish to start a debate on this, but personally i am loathed to pay UK tax if i am not in the UK. What benefit do i get apart from a UK passport (which any asylum seeker can get these days)

I would rather pay good money for private healthcare than pay good money for a bad one.

I would rather pay a private pension than a state one which will not pay out anything at the end of its term.

then why should i pay for Chavs and asylum seekers to sit at home and watch tv all day ??

I agree JD and they haven't been subsidising somebody else lifestyle for many years up until now....and, dare I say it not even now. But I see where you are coming from, it's hard to explain and fully understand being an expat. It is truely frustrating when nobody really nows all the ins and outs and probably never will.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:49 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

I agree JD and they haven't been subsidising somebody else lifestyle for many years up until now....and, dare I say it not even now. But I see where you are coming from, it's hard to explain and fully understand being an expat. It is truely frustrating when nobody really nows all the ins and outs and probably never will.
Having already been investigated by the SCO (Special Compliancy Office) I have a deep loathing for the Inland Robbery....sorry i meant Revenue.

Thanks for the Karma BTW JB xxxx
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

That sums my feelings for this nicely, I expect when (surely it's not a matter of if anymore???) this expat tax comes through, there will be a jump in the number of calls to the embassy enquiring about renouncing citizenships!!!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:52 pm
Banned

Having already been investigated by the SCO (Special Compliancy Office) I have a deep loathing for the Inland Robbery....sorry i meant Revenue.

Thanks for the Karma BTW JB xxxx

You r welcome JD I am in the same boat and I will fight the bastards 'til the death
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:54 pm
Banned

That sums my feelings for this nicely, I expect when (surely it's not a matter of if anymore???) this expat tax comes through, there will be a jump in the number of calls to the embassy enquiring about renouncing citizenships!!!

Exactly and that would be very sad...I am still very patriotic....sad cow. BUT there will be a lot of people going that way. Still keep in mind how we compare to other countries....just a thought.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:56 pm
Up in the air

Definately....need to find myself a bride from a low taxation country with no information exchange.!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.