British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/expat-package-comparable-%C2%A3120-000-yr-509749/)

typical Jan 29th 2008 4:28 pm

Re: Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr

Originally Posted by welrifai (Post 5854127)
As of right now, I'm basing it on INSEAD, ESADE and Oxford's Sa3id (for those of you who haven't learned this yet in Dubai, '3' is the 'throaty' Arabic vowel :-) ). They are 10-14 month programs. The US programs would be slightly higher costs and last a full 2 years.

I had initially planned on starting in the coming September, but I think the Dubai offer is too good to miss - even if I waited 2 years to start, I'd still be about a year under the average student age.

I never went back and calculated how much I spent at INSEAD. I don't think I want to. :)

The US programs give the chance to earn during their summer break, but then there's the opportunity cost of the extra time studying.

Wait two years to enter and you'd be one of the older Brits at INSEAD (as indeed I was), despite still being slightly younger than the average for the population as a whole.

welrifai Jan 29th 2008 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 5854314)
I never went back and calculated how much I spent at INSEAD. I don't think I want to. :)

The US programs give the chance to earn during their summer break, but then there's the opportunity cost of the extra time studying.

Wait two years to enter and you'd be one of the older Brits at INSEAD (as indeed I was), despite still being slightly younger than the average for the population as a whole.

Actually, I'm not a Brit... I'm a Lebanese who spent ages 15-25 in the US (yes, I have the Yank accent, sorry!) and the last year in London! INSEAD is my first choice!

typical Jan 29th 2008 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by welrifai (Post 5854335)
Actually, I'm not a Brit... I'm a Lebanese who spent ages 15-25 in the US (yes, I have the Yank accent, sorry!) and the last year in London! INSEAD is my first choice!

Fair enough. Good choice. :)

Cham128 Jan 29th 2008 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by welrifai (Post 5854335)

sho ya3ni INSEAD?

shiva Jan 29th 2008 6:57 pm

INSEAD are opening a "campus" in Abu Dhabi this year, whether its the usual UAE pants uni/scam I'm not sure? might be worth checking out though

welrifai Jan 29th 2008 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5854393)
sho ya3ni INSEAD?

Cham128, INSEAD is a business school, MBAs and PhDs. Inta min Cham, shu hal ism?

It's very possible they'd open a Abu Dhabi campus, likely it would not be for the MBAs, but rather that PhDs doing research... I'll check it out!

typical Jan 29th 2008 7:28 pm

The Centre for Executive Education and Research in AD has already opened. The clue to what it does is in the name ;)

No MBA degree from there.

jvr20 Jan 30th 2008 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5854393)
sho ya3ni INSEAD?

wallah, i must be learning subliminally!

Cham128 Jan 30th 2008 11:01 am

Originally Posted by welrifai (Post 5855022)
Cham128, INSEAD is a business school, MBAs and PhDs. Inta min Cham, shu hal ism?

It's very possible they'd open a Abu Dhabi campus, likely it would not be for the MBAs, but rather that PhDs doing research... I'll check it out!

ana inglizi bas, be7ki shway arabe... fosa wa lubnaani...

ismi? mish mittel sharm bi suriyya... lol cham pronounced Kaam.

ok i hadn't heard of INSEAD, i was looking at LSB as they've just opened a join london/dubai MBA course... only about 32k as well.

lol JVR i thought you were fluent already?

jvr20 Jan 30th 2008 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5858385)
ana inglizi bas, be7ki shway arabe... fosa wa lubnaani...

ismi? mish mittel sharm bi suriyya... lol cham pronounced Kaam.

ok i hadn't heard of INSEAD, i was looking at LSB as they've just opened a join london/dubai MBA course... only about 32k as well.

lol JVR i thought you were fluent already?

not at all - i was hoping before i got here that i'd pick it up, and i'm sure that if i had spent the last year in an actual Arabic speaking country, Jordan, Egypt etc, then I would be reasonably good by now... but I don't deal with any Arabs at work or in the evenings, so the only input i have is the voice-over woman on MBC/Dubai one :eek:

so my knowledge is restricted to things like, American Idol, at-talatah aal hadiyat-ashra' amasaa'n wa al-ashra' KSA, aala Dubai One, and suchlike :p

Cham128 Jan 30th 2008 11:25 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5858422)
not at all - i was hoping before i got here that i'd pick it up, and i'm sure that if i had spent the last year in an actual Arabic speaking country, Jordan, Egypt etc, then I would be reasonably good by now... but I don't deal with any Arabs at work or in the evenings, so the only input i have is the voice-over woman on MBC/Dubai one :eek:

so my knowledge is restricted to things like, American Idol, at-talatah aal hadiyat-ashra' amasaa'n wa al-ashra' KSA, aala Dubai One, and suchlike :p

lol, i tell ya what when i get out there i'll have to drag you out one night to meet some of my leb friends... although all they ever taught me was how to swear at people

expat.brat Jan 30th 2008 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5853649)
Jumeriah Beach Hotel's club costs 55k (maybe a bit more now) for a family, so for a single person would be a bit less, but I know the waiting list is long. Le Meridien Mina Seyahi's list is closed...Ritz Carlton Beach club is around 70k I think, it may be more, someone did tell me it was 90k but i'm not sure if this is correct...

MM, xx

what a rip off.

Madam Medusa Jan 30th 2008 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 5859346)
what a rip off.

tell me about it...

MM, xx