British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/expat-package-comparable-%C2%A3120-000-yr-509749/)

welrifai Jan 29th 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5853551)
i always wondered why that set of traffic lights is there... maybe it's to pick out who the tourists are...

the one thing better than the driving though is the parking... it's impressive!

as for korean crap... let me know when mercedes start offering a 7 year warranty!

I think that set of lights was the very first one in Lebanon - at least from my recollection...

MataHari Jan 29th 2008 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5853451)
what's wrong with American Junk?
have been quite happy with mine despite the huge lack of power!

I agree...
driving both a Porsche 911 and the American junk Charger RT I can assure everyone that they are both soooooo fun to drive....

Madam Medusa Jan 29th 2008 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by welrifai (Post 5853106)
Ahh - I also wanted to get some info on private beach clubs...

Jumeriah Beach Hotel's club costs 55k (maybe a bit more now) for a family, so for a single person would be a bit less, but I know the waiting list is long. Le Meridien Mina Seyahi's list is closed...Ritz Carlton Beach club is around 70k I think, it may be more, someone did tell me it was 90k but i'm not sure if this is correct...At the other end of the scale are Oasis Beach Club and Dubai Marine and Beach Resort...both much cheaper and neither has a waiting list...

MM, xx

MataHari Jan 29th 2008 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by welrifai (Post 5853466)
Clearly people assumed that I was mentioning the Boxster as the epitomy of a sports car - in reality, I was mentioning it (I said Porsche Boxster or similar) so that there would be some idea of the lifestyle I want - comfortable without being flashy... so I could get help on deciding how much I need to be offered! I'm not trying to spend all of my money on my car, but I don't want to drive something cheap either. Maybe in 10 years I'd consider driving a supercar, but I generally think guys in their mid-twenties driving around in Ferraris look like jackasses :-)

just ignore the negative crowd... buy whatever you like

welrifai Jan 29th 2008 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5853649)
Jumeriah Beach Hotel's club costs 55k (maybe a bit more now) for a family, so for a single person would be a bit less, but I know the waiting list is long. Le Meridien Mina Seyahi's list is closed...Ritz Carlton Beach club is around 70k I think, it may be more, someone did tell me it was 90k but i'm not sure if this is correct...At the other end of the scale are Oasis Beach Club and Dubai Marine and Beach Resort...both much cheaper and neither has a waiting list...

MM, xx

So it's probably something like £5,000/year membership for an individual I'm guessing... you still have to pay for dinner and drinks there, right? That price seems kinda high - maybe I'll skip it... I have a membership at the Swiss Re building (Gherkin building) bar at the top floor for £1,500/yr!

Border Reiver Jan 29th 2008 1:51 pm

Beach clubs are very expensive, and getting more so every year. See if your employer has a corporate deal going with any. They are really only good value for money if you are there all day every weekend. And yes, you still have to pay for drinks and food, although most give a discount for members.

If it is mainly a gym you are after there are better and cheaper alternatives and most buildings/complexes have one anyway.

welrifai Jan 29th 2008 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 5853712)
Beach clubs are very expensive, and getting more so every year. See if your employer has a corporate deal going with any. They are really only good value for money if you are there all day every weekend. And yes, you still have to pay for drinks and food, although most give a discount for members.

If it is mainly a gym you are after there are better and cheaper alternatives and most buildings/complexes have one anyway.

I was thinking of it as a socializing spot and a good way to meet people in Dubai, but at that rate, I can go pick up dozens of the Russian girls discussed earlier in this thread... ha-ha!

I just got confirmation about 5 minutes ago - Dubai is 100% for certain now, so this is no longer a theoretical exercise, I'll be there in 6 weeks!

MataHari Jan 29th 2008 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by welrifai (Post 5853728)
I was thinking of it as a socializing spot and a good way to meet people in Dubai, but at that rate, I can go pick up dozens of the Russian girls discussed earlier in this thread... ha-ha!

I just got confirmation about 5 minutes ago - Dubai is 100% for certain now, so this is no longer a theoretical exercise, I'll be there in 6 weeks!

beach clubs always strike me as a bit boring...same faces every week...

congratulations by the way...

welrifai Jan 29th 2008 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5853737)

OK - so what ARE the good spots?

Madam Medusa Jan 29th 2008 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5853737)

noooo...cos they are in hotels...always plenty of new faces and opportunities for people watching...

MM, xx

pinebluffvariant Jan 29th 2008 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by welrifai (Post 5853748)
OK - so what ARE the good spots?

Being a big clubbing fan, I am inclined to the peppermint club, I have heard good stuff about it? Can anyone comment?

typical Jan 29th 2008 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5852213)
I have an MBA and it didn't do me alot of good...

My MBA did me a world of good... after all, I'm in Riyadh, aren't I? :D

£35k seems optimistic though...

welrifai Jan 29th 2008 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 5853831)
My MBA did me a world of good... after all, I'm in Riyadh, aren't I? :D

£35k seems optimistic though...

£35k? for what?

typical Jan 29th 2008 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by welrifai (Post 5853985)
£35k? for what?

Ah, my misreading. Yes, £60k seems rather more like it for a decent MBA. Depending where you go and the lifestyle you live, of course :)

welrifai Jan 29th 2008 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 5854101)
Ah, my misreading. Yes, £60k seems rather more like it for a decent MBA. Depending where you go and the lifestyle you live, of course :)

As of right now, I'm basing it on INSEAD, ESADE and Oxford's Sa3id (for those of you who haven't learned this yet in Dubai, '3' is the 'throaty' Arabic vowel :-) ). They are 10-14 month programs. The US programs would be slightly higher costs and last a full 2 years.

I had initially planned on starting in the coming September, but I think the Dubai offer is too good to miss - even if I waited 2 years to start, I'd still be about a year under the average student age.