Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr

Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr

Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

pinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nice
Default Re: Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr

Originally Posted by welrifai
You're gonna have to work on your sales pitch :-).
How about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEUS:IT&ih=004

Lucky for you it did not meet its reserve
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:18 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

what do you recommend for Dubai?
something with an ac that would stop global warming in its tracks.....even then it will barely work in summer.

whatever you do dont get a soft top convertable, you'll melt and when a landcruiser tries to drive over you you'll wish you'd bought the hardtop
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

It is too hot to put the roof down for about 4 months of the year, depending on how brave you are. Something with a detachable (Porsche) or folding (SLK) hard top makes the summers a bit more bearable.

You will get an SLK 350 for a lot less than £40,000 here.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:20 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Buy that Porsche and enjoy it.

Tall Poppy Syndrome is one of the things you'll be leaving behind.
but a boxter hardly qualifies does it
Forum Regular

pinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nice

Originally Posted by seven seas
Buy that Porsche and enjoy it.

Tall Poppy Syndrome is one of the things you'll be leaving behind.
Anything less than the 911 turbo is not worth touching! And the SLK is as equally girly as the boxter! Go for the SL55.
Forum Regular

welrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nice

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
In terms of money in the bank at the end of the month (net) you need to be getting (about) 40,000Dhs a month to be on the equivalent of £120,000. However, the cost of living here is a lot less than London (but rising fast)- especially anything to do with cars. Have a look at http://www.grapeshisa.com for a clue on costs.

Rent is paid in advance, either 6 or 12 months is normal depending on how well you negotiate. Have a look at Dubai Marina and JBR (Jumeirah Beach Residence) which are both near DIC/DMC. A one bedroom flat should cost you around 100,000Dhs to 120,000Dhs a year.

£40,000, or about 25,000Dhs a month isn't going to be enough.
I'm not expecting to match my UK income, which would be about 40k Dhs per month as you said (taking into account that I pay an enormous level of tax in the UK, and won't pay any in Dubai). Further, I'm actually not a UK national so I'm not concerned with saving enough money to return to London and buy a Knightsbridge flat (I'm a Lebanese national who's been living in the US and UK for the last 10 years). I will be receiving an expat package, as the company is relocating me from London to Dubai for what they estimate is 2-3 years.

I get the impression this lifestyle is going to require an income of 30,000 Dhs/month or about £50,000/yr. Does that sound about right? Maybe even a bit more...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:22 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Sl 55 second hand to give you an idea of price

http://motors.souq.com/item.php?id=2...sort_type=desc
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

welrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nice

I'm not expecting to match my UK income, which would be about 40k Dhs per month as you said (taking into account that I pay an enormous level of tax in the UK, and won't pay any in Dubai). Further, I'm actually not a UK national so I'm not concerned with saving enough money to return to London and buy a Knightsbridge flat (I'm a Lebanese national who's been living in the US and UK for the last 10 years). I will be receiving an expat package, as the company is relocating me from London to Dubai for what they estimate is 2-3 years.

I get the impression this lifestyle is going to require an income of 30,000 Dhs/month or about £50,000/yr. Does that sound about right? Maybe even a bit more...
I had to look up "Tall Poppy Syndrome" on wikipedia! This is not about social status, this is about wanting to have a fun car before I'm married with kids :-) and have a wife that makes me trade it in for an SUV!!!

Our "websense" software in my office blocked that ebay auction - what was it for???
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

40,000Dhs a month is 480,000 a year, which is about £65,000, which is about what you will be earning now after tax, if my maths is right. Actually you are probably earning a bit more but remember to factor in stuff like the congestion charge, council tax and all the other fun stuff. We have taxes in Dubai as well but you don't find out about them until after you arrive....

30,000 Dhs a month is probably the minimum you will need and 40,000 Dhs is nearer the mark, especially if you expect to save anything at all. Some entertainment here is very expensive (eg alcohol) and some is very cheap (eg Russian hookers). Depends how often you want to go out and where you want to go. And what (and who) you want to do when you get there.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

....I've seen lots of Toyota Camry's for sale on the notice boards.....

Seriously, from what I've heard, cars are a lot cheaper out there ( anything from 15% to 25% cheaper ) , so something that costs £35k out there, would be £40k+ here, so you may well then have a slightly bigger choice.

How much is a Bugatti Veyron out in Dubai?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

I had to look up "Tall Poppy Syndrome" on wikipedia! This is not about social status, this is about wanting to have a fun car before I'm married with kids :-) and have a wife that makes me trade it in for an SUV!!!

Our "websense" software in my office blocked that ebay auction - what was it for???
The auction was for my car - a proper sales pitch! Shame you are missing it.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pinebluffvariant
The auction was for my car - a proper sales pitch! Shame you are missing it.
Border,

You bring up a good point - I understand that I'll be hit with all kinds of hidden fees and taxes after arrival - any idea what they'll cost per year and what some of them are?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
....I've seen lots of Toyota Camry's for sale on the notice boards.....

Seriously, from what I've heard, cars are a lot cheaper out there ( anything from 15% to 25% cheaper ) , so something that costs £35k out there, would be £40k+ here, so you may well then have a slightly bigger choice.

How much is a Bugatti Veyron out in Dubai?
No problem at all, I'll be looking into those Bugatti Veyrons more closely, maybe if I can switch trades a bit and get into international arms dealing... human traffiking, or blood diamonds.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to all

I think being an international arms traders carries a lot of credibility, but most of that would be lost if you turned up for a trade in your boxster.

It would be like Keith Moon throwing an ipod out of his hotel window. Yes it does the job but it just isn't good enough.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Get into all three plus drugs and prostitution, and you'll be in a Veyron before the month is out.....

None of this namby pamby risk analysis stuff.

I've got websense at work too, its really frustrating, all the eBay sites are filtered plus games and all the 'fun' stuff :-(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.