Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr

Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr

Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

welrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nice
Default Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr

After having been in the UK for the last 14 months (and the US prior to that), it is likely that I'm moving to Dubai in March.

I'm trying to find out what income I would need to maintain my current standard of living. I am single 26 year old male and will be taking a regional management position for a Silicon Valley company.

Current situation in London, England
=====================================
Income: £120,000/year
Housing: 1 bedroom flat in Islington
Automobile: None
Savings: £20,000 (only 3 years out of Uni...)

Desired situation in Dubai
=====================================
Housing: 1 bedroom flat in Jumeirah Palms, or somewhere walking distance to the shore. Should have a pool and gym. Close to Dubai Internet City, where I'll be working.
Automobile: A nice new convertible!

Can you give me some idea what this type of lifestyle requires in terms of income? Is it true that rents are usually paid up front for the year? Are flats rented with/without furniture? Can you think of any "surprise" expenses I will incur that aren't typical in the UK or US?

Drop me an email at welrifai [at] gmail [dot] com.

I've seen numbers that suggest that I could enjoy this lifestyle on £40,000/yr... is that true? Should I expect my package to pay housing, auto, and health care?

Thanks!

Wael

Last edited by welrifai; Jan 28th 2008 at 1:31 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to all
Default Re: Expat package comparable to £120,000/yr

I was enjoying reading your thread until you said you were going to get a Boxter. Now I just can't take you seriously...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

welrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nicewelrifai is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mr Moleskins
I was enjoying reading your thread until you said you were going to get a Boxter. Now I just can't take you seriously...
I can't be splashing out on a Lambo or a Mas :-). I'm 26, and need to save £60,000 for my MBA in the next 18 months :-). Boxster is a bit fun (if a bit girly), without breaking the bank! What would you buy on £35,000?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

hahahaha...you just took the words right out of my mouth...

MM, xx
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by welrifai
I can't be splashing out on a Lambo or a Mas :-). I'm 26, and need to save £60,000 for my MBA in the next 18 months :-). Boxster is a bit fun (if a bit girly), without breaking the bank! What would you buy on £35,000?
and don't tell me a BMW/Merc... I couldn't be a more stereotypical Lebanese expatriate after having lived in Europe if I had a BMW or Merc.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

There you go - Now it's just a convertible... not a Boxster.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Three years out of university and earning GBP120K per year? Not another Nick Leeson or the latest French version are you?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionheart
Three years out of university and earning GBP120K per year? Not another Nick Leeson or the latest French version are you?
Nope - I'm on the other side! I design risk analysis systems that PREVENT that from happening!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

pinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nicepinebluffvariant is just really nice

There you go - Now it's just a convertible... not a Boxster.
How about you buy my Golf? on I'm selling it due to my move to Dubai. I'm sure you can afford to ship it over.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22889778@N04/

3.2 litre, 4wd, can do some boxter bashing with this one. Granted its not a covertible...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pinebluffvariant
How about you buy my Golf? on I'm selling it due to my move to Dubai. I'm sure you can afford to ship it over.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22889778@N04/

3.2 litre, 4wd, can do some boxter bashing with this one. Granted its not a covertible...
You're gonna have to work on your sales pitch :-).
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to all

Has to be a convert?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of money in the bank at the end of the month (net) you need to be getting (about) 40,000Dhs a month to be on the equivalent of £120,000. However, the cost of living here is a lot less than London (but rising fast)- especially anything to do with cars. Have a look at http://www.grapeshisa.com for a clue on costs.

Rent is paid in advance, either 6 or 12 months is normal depending on how well you negotiate. Have a look at Dubai Marina and JBR (Jumeirah Beach Residence) which are both near DIC/DMC. A one bedroom flat should cost you around 100,000Dhs to 120,000Dhs a year.

£40,000, or about 25,000Dhs a month isn't going to be enough.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

And by the way, welcome to the bored.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Has to be a convert?
I'd prefer a convertible... is Dubai too hot for them in the summer? I like the SLKs, but a well equipped model is going to run £40k+. Why, what do you recommend for Dubai?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Buy that Porsche and enjoy it.

Tall Poppy Syndrome is one of the things you'll be leaving behind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.