Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Originally Posted by The Dean
......... and the opinions of anyone who hates New York can safely be ignored......... wonderful city, with a real buzz and a unique character. It's my second favourite US city, after the stunningly beautiful San Francisco........
Dean

Sorry just personal taste - having lived and worked in NY its not for me.

"My God - next you'll be telling me you studied under David Molian!!!???"

Nope did study under David Myddleton - i do not meet/know of David Molian
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:21 am
Banned

AlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to all

My God - next you'll be telling me you studied under David Molian!!!???

Milton Keynes has no soul and no character - a bit like the 'town' in The Truman Show.
Springs?Meadows?Arabian Ranches? They always made me think of "The Truman Show", their best thing by far is the smile of the security baba at the bar!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:32 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

......... and the opinions of anyone who hates New York can safely be ignored......... wonderful city, with a real buzz and a unique character. It's my second favourite US city, after the stunningly beautiful San Francisco........
amen! the old ferry terminal on a nice august day, the sights are stunning!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Thanks all for your responses.

Come on Milton Keynes is not that bad.

Anyway, I gave the company who offered the job to me and they are happy to take me on board, pending references.

So I think if all goes well, its bye bye Dubai.

I think time in UK will give me the chance to take stock of things and decide where else in the Gulf I can go without being ripped off. Yes Kuwait does seem to be coming up.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

happy man is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny
Just got back from a leaving do at the Emirates Towers for a colleague of mine, he is going back to the UK due to rising costs in Dubai. In fact he was the 3rd Brit I have come to know who has decided to leave Dubai in the space of 7 weeks.

Apparently 60% of his salary (30K) was going on rental expenses. He has been offered a role back in Birmingham and with the same rate as Dubai. However he says what he will pay on Tax and NI back home is less than what he pays for rent in Dubai and will still leave him better off than getting a Tax free salary and paying the ridiculous rent for a small apartment.

He obviously has his own place in UK but even if he did not he would still be £4000 better off P/A.

The way things are going, I am also thinking of making a move back home to good old Milton Keynes. Had an offer last week but declined. However after doing some rough calculations I would be saving a total of £5000 P/A in addition to the existing disposable income here in Dubai. The downside is the weather which I am quite happy to put up with rather than trying to battle basic rising living expenses in here.

I am I doing the right thing?
Did you mean that he is paying 30k per month (360K annually) for a small apartment? How come?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:55 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy man
Did you mean that he is paying 30k per month (360K annually) for a small apartment? How come?
I presumed that was pounds per year rather than dhs per month...
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto

Agree you cant possibly compare NY to Dubai
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Dean

Sorry just personal taste - having lived and worked in NY its not for me.

"My God - next you'll be telling me you studied under David Molian!!!???"

Nope did study under David Myddleton - i do not meet/know of David Molian
NY and Dubai seriously no comparison
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

I read it as salary of AED 30k/month, with 60% of this on rent.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

Well well well ... at least some of you are waking up.

I did say some months back to leave asap and get a job before recession bites.

To recap I had an offer of $400000 in AD all up mid year but after seeing the place (the pits IMO), and discovering that a woeful sand blasted unit/terrace in the desert would cost about $150k pa I couldnt leave fast enough.

Ive worked every day since and this week I started a new gig in syd on $440k. I moved to a lovely renovated federation cottage 2 mins from train for $30k per annum. Half of that is tax deductible as are many other expenses. My savings are earning 7.5% per annum and any $$$ i might be behind get me value like roads, transport, town planning, welfare, a justice system, and other 1st world basics.

Or just keep on suffering as a second class citizen a best and slave to the arabs at worst.

The choice is yours.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
I read it as salary of AED 30k/month, with 60% of this on rent.
Thats correct.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mantronic
Well well well ... at least some of you are waking up.

I did say some months back to leave asap and get a job before recession bites.

To recap I had an offer of $400000 in AD all up mid year but after seeing the place (the pits IMO), and discovering that a woeful sand blasted unit/terrace in the desert would cost about $150k pa I couldnt leave fast enough.

Ive worked every day since and this week I started a new gig in syd on $440k. I moved to a lovely renovated federation cottage 2 mins from train for $30k per annum. Half of that is tax deductible as are many other expenses. My savings are earning 7.5% per annum and any $$$ i might be behind get me value like roads, transport, town planning, welfare, a justice system, and other 1st world basics.

Or just keep on suffering as a second class citizen a best and slave to the arabs at worst.

The choice is yours.
Agree with you 100%.

I think it is time to wake up from the Dubai dream and get packing before its too late.

The locals or landlords are getting richer while we pay rents and get poorer.

By the way, my references were ok and I gracefullly handed my notice of resignation an hour ago.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you 100%.

I think it is time to wake up from the Dubai dream and get packing before its too late.

The locals or landlords are getting richer while we pay rents and get poorer.

By the way, my references were ok and I gracefullly handed my notice of resignation in an hour ago.
you have resigned?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you have resigned?
Thats right dear.

Off back to sunny Milton Keynes in 4 weeks.

It comes at a perfect time as my rent period finishes in 3 weeks.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Thats right dear.

Off back to sunny Milton Keynes in 4 weeks.

It comes at a perfect time as my rent period finishes in 3 weeks.
So you're going back to Milton Keynes and Mantronic is already back in Sydney??

That's like getting off the iceberg (as it feels a bit too cold) and jumping onto a passing ship..... called the Titanic..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.