Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Exciting historical information you need to know about shipping manure:

Exciting historical information you need to know about shipping manure:

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 5:26 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exciting historical information you need to know about shipping manure:

In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship. It was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and

did) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks, and the first time someone came below at night, with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term, "Ship High In Transit" on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T," which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

TS
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 5:56 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exciting historical information you need to know about shipping manure:

Interesting!! but never really thought of it as a word I must find out what the historical meaning was!!
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:14 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exciting historical information you need to know about shipping manure:

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Interesting!! but never really thought of it as a word I must find out what the historical meaning was!!
Don't U have an enquiring mind ?
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:09 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Don't U have an enquiring mind ?
So I'm told!!!!!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:12 am
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Fairydust
So I'm told!!!!!!!
Ok then - do you know where the expression "As the crow flies" comes from.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:27 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T," which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

TS
Now thats what i call getting educated......and they say that the internet is full of S.H.I.T! hahahahahahahahaha......I cudnt resist that one!

No seriously........gr8 read. I think!
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:38 am
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Face81
Now thats what i call getting educated......and they say that the internet is full of S.H.I.T! hahahahahahahahaha......I cudnt resist that one!

No seriously........gr8 read. I think!
More to come later
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:57 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

More to come later
Good!.......getting this odd feeling of being watched now..........cant explain it....... its such an odd feeling. LOL
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 9:01 am
Premium Member

Good!.......getting this odd feeling of being watched now..........cant explain it....... its such an odd feeling. LOL
The hairs on the back of yr neck are standing up !!
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 2:26 pm
The Oracle

The hairs on the back of yr neck are standing up !!
how did u know that? :scared:

its that eye, isnt it? admit it! hahahaha
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 4:18 pm
Premium Member

how did u know that? :scared:

its that eye, isnt it? admit it! hahahaha
the eye of sauron !! Nothing gets past other than a couple of hobbits and Gollum!
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 4:55 pm
The Oracle

the eye of sauron !! Nothing gets past other than a couple of hobbits and Gollum!
wot about Gandalf? Yoda is Gandalf in the Middle Kingdom! And since I am Yoda, I need to pass......

stop staring!!!!! :scared:
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 4:58 pm
Premium Member

wot about Gandalf? Yoda is Gandalf in the Middle Kingdom! And since I am Yoda, I need to pass......

stop staring!!!!! :scared:
Ok - tomorrow
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 5:06 pm
The Oracle

Ok - tomorrow
1 more day of lazy eye, huh?lol
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 5:17 pm
Premium Member

1 more day of lazy eye, huh?lol
there u go - hope that's stopped yr shakes.

The new one illustrates how hard it is trying to keepup with the threads in here.

TS