Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Exchange rates - GBP to Qatar Riyals...

Exchange rates - GBP to Qatar Riyals...

Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Ukeuro75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchange rates - GBP to Qatar Riyals...

Hi, I am currently planning to come to Qatar, and it strikes me that my salary could potentially, significantly fluctuate in line with the exchange rate, by upto a few hundred pounds (eg. if exchange rate was £1 - QR 5.9 as opposed to £1 = QR 6.9 for example). I don't really understand how exchange rates work, but I'm worried incase my salary goes down month by month. Having not worked overseas before, I was just wondering how other people managed or dealt with this, or am I worrying unecessarily? Maybe its just a risk I should take? Many thanks in anticipation.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:57 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rates - GBP to Qatar Riyals...

Originally Posted by Ukeuro75
Hi, I am currently planning to come to Qatar, and it strikes me that my salary could potentially, significantly fluctuate in line with the exchange rate, by upto a few hundred pounds (eg. if exchange rate was £1 - QR 5.9 as opposed to £1 = QR 6.9 for example). I don't really understand how exchange rates work, but I'm worried incase my salary goes down month by month. Having not worked overseas before, I was just wondering how other people managed or dealt with this, or am I worrying unecessarily? Maybe its just a risk I should take? Many thanks in anticipation.
To be honest, once you're here, you'll soon stop thinking in pounds – unless you have investments/debt back in the UK.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Exchange rates are simple. if the pound drops you will get more pounds and if it rises you will get less. There is no method of dealing with this.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:33 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukeuro75
Ask for half your salary in Riyals and the other half in Pounds (converted to Riyals at the prevailing exchange rate on your pay day), sorted. My last employer did this and it is fair to both parties.

Over the past two years, the Pound-Riyal exchange rate has fluctuated from about 5.5 to 6.1 with about 5.8 the average.

[J]
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Ask for half your salary in Riyals and the other half in Pounds (converted to Riyals at the prevailing exchange rate on your pay day), sorted. My last employer did this and it is fair to both parties.
[J]
How is this any fairer than just getting your salary in Riyals?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:15 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

When I worked for Emirates we had exchange rate protection, that worked something like if the pound dropped below a certain point we got a subsidy to take your salary up to that figure.

Guessing that doesn't happen these days.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:40 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
How is this any fairer than just getting your salary in Riyals?
You would essentially be hedging your bets as whichever way the exchange wy moves you'd both win and lose.

The fact is that if you work out of the UK and want to send monies back you will be subject to exchange rate fluctuations. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's all part and parcel of expat life. You become very aware of exchange rates and the best time to move monies. (You can save on currency transfers by using an exchange house and let me know if you want info on that.)
Old Sep 19th 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Meow
You would essentially be hedging your bets as whichever way the exchange wy moves you'd both win and lose.

The fact is that if you work out of the UK and want to send monies back you will be subject to exchange rate fluctuations. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's all part and parcel of expat life. You become very aware of exchange rates and the best time to move monies. (You can save on currency transfers by using an exchange house and let me know if you want info on that.)
But there is no hedging as the OP said the exchange rate used was the one at the date of payday - i.e. changes every month. Therefore it makes no difference if he got all his dough in Riyals as essentially he is just making a conversion into sterling every month at the then prevailing rate. It would only work if salary was fixed at time of employment - i.e. x riyals and y sterling which isn't what he said (at least not the way I read it).

On another note, I have just signed up for Moneycorp only to be told I still have to make an international transfer of Riyals into their account in the UK to then have the sterling conversaion which to my mind kind of defeats the object... Smart currency have local banks (e.g. in UAE) in which you deposit funds which then they credit you in the UK (thereby avoiding bank charges and offering a better rate). May sound like penny pinching but paying 15 or 20 quid every month on bank transfers adds up over a year...

Other than moneycorp, is there any other (decent) exchange houses that do Riyals into Sterling?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

I use an FX company who have a riyal account in London, so I can send money back with no charges and wait until the exchange rate moves in my favour. Only at that time do I incur a management charge.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

How do u get your Riyals into the a/c in London with no charges?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

How do u get your Riyals into the a/c in London with no charges?
The bank sent it and they never levied a charge, different matter when I used to send riyals which where exchanged to pounds though!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:53 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

But there is no hedging as the OP said the exchange rate used was the one at the date of payday - i.e. changes every month. Therefore it makes no difference if he got all his dough in Riyals as essentially he is just making a conversion into sterling every month at the then prevailing rate. It would only work if salary was fixed at time of employment - i.e. x riyals and y sterling which isn't what he said (at least not the way I read it).

On another note, I have just signed up for Moneycorp only to be told I still have to make an international transfer of Riyals into their account in the UK to then have the sterling conversaion which to my mind kind of defeats the object... Smart currency have local banks (e.g. in UAE) in which you deposit funds which then they credit you in the UK (thereby avoiding bank charges and offering a better rate). May sound like penny pinching but paying 15 or 20 quid every month on bank transfers adds up over a year...

Other than moneycorp, is there any other (decent) exchange houses that do Riyals into Sterling?
Yes it is, you are betting both ways, that is essentially hedging your bets.

Yes, per my previous post, I can recommend an exchange house if you contact me. No fees and better rates as banks make their money on the exchange rate.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Maser - pls can you ping me the deets of the FX company. I must say I'm not even practising what I preach at the moment, mainly through apathy, but I am just pinging cashola through QNB First. Rates are actually good (for a bank) and my a/c manager does the transfers so I don't pay fees.

A lot of FX companies are a pain in the ass.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:15 am
Bored liberal

So don't take the professional recommendation from someone who deals with one daily and knows what they are talking about...
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Too many people consider the transaction fees - that is not important (unless your sending small amounts)

When dealing with large amounts there are 2 options i use:

A much easier option to avoid all the hassles is to buy a forward rate contract - with this i know exactly what i am going to recieve from my KWD account - irrespective of what the currency is doing

If you dont need the money you can set yourself a limit to buy/sell the currency - it is a waiting game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.