Exchange rate

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:25 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate

5% better than random walk is pretty damn impressive.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:26 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
I've been employed in the foreign exchange markets for over thirty years. I am widely consulted for radio shows, magazine articles, etc, and often speak at seminars and conferences on the topic.......

In short, I am regarded as something of an expert.

And I can state proudly and unequivocally that, when I make exchange rate predictions, I get it right about 55 pct of the time...............
So what is your prediction, then?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
He is 55% sure that he doesn't know.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Short-term: No idea.

Long-term (say, two years): The GBP goes down the toilet..........

The combination of spending cuts, deficit reduction, and delayed recovery will see investors taking their GBP-denominated stuff to other markets.

Mind you, long-term I'm always USD-bullish these days, so it won't just be the GBP that suffers.

I'm not in the "The US is debasing its currency" school of thought. I look more often at the sheer size of the US capital markets and feel that it's the only place big enough to absorb any spare cash (i.e. trillions) that might be sloshing around looking for a place to go...........
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
5% better than the random walk mate. Well done.

*EDIT> I'm not being sarcastic
surely it's 10% better than the random walk?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:27 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to sign a new contract in the next month or so and I have an option to be paid in dollars, sterling or euro. (euro being my home currency).

Contract is negotiated in dollars then converted to the one I chose at the rate of the day.
Last time I did this I chose dollars (it was at 1.45 to the euro) and over the year it dropped to around 1.20 so it was worth a couple of grand extra every month.
Its back to this level again, this time I don't feel like the dollar is undervalued but I am puzzled how with all the European bailouts the euro hasn't weakened against it.
So chose dollars and hope for a drop or fix the rate at 1.45 into euro? Its for roughly the next year and a half.

thoughts?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by weasel central
I am going to sign a new contract in the next month or so and I have an option to be paid in dollars, sterling or euro. (euro being my home currency).

Contract is negotiated in dollars then converted to the one I chose at the rate of the day.
Last time I did this I chose dollars (it was at 1.45 to the euro) and over the year it dropped to around 1.20 so it was worth a couple of grand extra every month.
Its back to this level again, this time I don't feel like the dollar is undervalued but I am puzzled how with all the European bailouts the euro hasn't weakened against it.
So chose dollars and hope for a drop or fix the rate at 1.45 into euro? Its for roughly the next year and a half.

thoughts?
I would say the Euro will weaken considerably in the coming months against the dollar. If I had the choice today of currency to be paid in for the next year and a half, I would pick USD.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mogs
I would say the Euro will weaken considerably in the coming months against the dollar. If I had the choice today of currency to be paid in for the next year and a half, I would pick USD.
Thats my feeling but I am surprised why its holding at 1.45 right now, there seems no reason for it, unless people are just as afraid of the dollar.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Thats my feeling but I am surprised why its holding at 1.45 right now, there seems no reason for it, unless people are just as afraid of the dollar.
Probably because the US is on the verge of possibly having their credit rating downgraded by Moody's - however I think the Eurozone have considerably bigger problems than the US.

The Gulf of Mexico is coming back to life which will bolster the US economy this year - which should help the dollar strength.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:40 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogs
The Gulf of Mexico is coming back to life which will bolster the US economy this year - which should help the dollar strength.
Except the dollar is currently climbing based on US economy weakness

See: random walk.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by typical
Except the dollar is currently climbing based on US economy weakness

See: random walk.
predictions? go on then..
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone want to borrow my crystal ball?

I have one in my office. Bought it at a junk shop as so many clients ask me to predict the movements of markets...
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:01 am
Not an evil hypnotist

predictions? go on then..
Given my track record, the exact opposite of every decision I make.

My currency strategy would be so much easier if I knew which currency I'd be spending most in 3 years...

Seriously, I predict the pound, euro and dollar will all fall against the loonie and aussie dollar. How they will be relative to each other, I have absolutely no clue.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
Anyone want to borrow my crystal ball?

I have one in my office. Bought it at a junk shop as so many clients ask me to predict the movements of markets...
well I am interested in the thought process, over the last 5 or so years it has peaked and troughed between an average of 1.5 and 1.2, not that historical issues have any future bearing. So my guess is to consider this a peak, just on this abitrary fact.

I used to do a lot of spread betting on FX, very short term stuff, so I understand the random nature of it, but I'd like to hear from financial types who normally try to justify the decision based on some sort of logic rather than admitting the markets are just gambling.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so basically just send meoney home as noone has a clue then....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.