British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Etisalat woes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/etisalat-woes-685260/)

csdf Sep 14th 2010 4:32 am

Etisalat woes

Hi,

We applied for internet with Etisalat over two weeks ago having been told that it would be activated within 5 working days. Despite calling them every day, we've not had any contact with the mythical technician who's apparently required to activate things. We've even physically visited Etisalat offices and been personally assured that someone would call us within 24 hours.

Is there any leverage whatsoever we can apply to get this moved on, or is it just a matter of wait however long it takes until they get off their arses and sort it out? Given how little the customer service staff seem to be able to do, what's to stop it taking 6 months to activate?

Groan.

Meow Sep 14th 2010 9:24 am

Re: Etisalat woes

You could always ask someone who has links there & sorts out such problems every week....

Grace O Malley Sep 14th 2010 9:28 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8846531)
Hi,

We applied for internet with Etisalat over two weeks ago having been told that it would be activated within 5 working days. Despite calling them every day, we've not had any contact with the mythical technician who's apparently required to activate things. We've even physically visited Etisalat offices and been personally assured that someone would call us within 24 hours.

Is there any leverage whatsoever we can apply to get this moved on, or is it just a matter of wait however long it takes until they get off their arses and sort it out? Given how little the customer service staff seem to be able to do, what's to stop it taking 6 months to activate?

Groan.

Try the office by Spinney's Khaladiya, they are usually really good...

Millhouse Sep 14th 2010 4:45 pm

Just to annoy you... I signed up with Du on the Wed lunchtime before Eid and we were up and running by the following Sunday lunchtime.

I did have to sit in the customer service centre for 2 hours on the wed though...

rowell Sep 14th 2010 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8847866)
Just to annoy you... I signed up with Du on the Wed lunchtime before Eid and we were up and running by the following Sunday lunchtime.

I did have to sit in the customer service centre for 2 hours on the wed though...

From my experience Du and Etisalat are as bad as each other, every time yoy ring Du be prepared to make several phone calls and hang on at least 15 minutes each time before anyone even answers! I was on the phone an accumalitive 86 minutes in order to get the premiership football.

Millhouse Sep 14th 2010 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 8848013)
From my experience Du and Etisalat are as bad as each other, every time yoy ring Du be prepared to make several phone calls and hang on at least 15 minutes each time before anyone even answers! I was on the phone an accumalitive 86 minutes in order to get the premiership football.

I agree. I gave up and went in to visit. 2 hours at lunchtime during Ramadan. It wasn't my idea of fun.

flares Sep 15th 2010 1:55 am

Re: Etihad woes

bad customer service is a fact of life in UAE...even the companies who on the face of it look like a professional set up

for example six months ago I joined the business bit of Etihad Guest called Etihad Connect meaning our staff can accrue an additional 20% of their miles to a business account held by the co.

We've accrued a fair amount 22k which translates to about 750 dh in F+B vouchers which I would raffle between the contributors. Can I redeem them? Can I ****.

Tried online and the website falls over at the end of the process.

Two phone calls first one indian lady couldn't help me and put me on hold then said would call back after speaking to supervisor.

Second call the arab guy couldn't verify me as the co. po box they had did not match the one i gave him. Nice to be spoken to as if you are a conman.

BurpusMe Sep 15th 2010 4:38 am

Re: Etihad woes

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 8848815)
bad customer service is a fact of life in UAE...even the companies who on the face of it look like a professional set up

for example six months ago I joined the business bit of Etihad Guest called Etihad Connect meaning our staff can accrue an additional 20% of their miles to a business account held by the co.

We've accrued a fair amount 22k which translates to about 750 dh in F+B vouchers which I would raffle between the contributors. Can I redeem them? Can I ****.

Tried online and the website falls over at the end of the process.

Two phone calls first one indian lady couldn't help me and put me on hold then said would call back after speaking to supervisor.

Second call the arab guy couldn't verify me as the co. po box they had did not match the one i gave him. Nice to be spoken to as if you are a conman.

Try closing an account with either of them.

Even after paying my final settlement, and getting a signed/stamped form saying as much - Du emailed me another bill!!

Dozens of calls and emails eventually fixed it, but it shouldn't be necessary.
Apparently someone in the Du shop forgot to click a button on the computer.

Advice: save the paperwork.

/Rant

DustyBits Sep 15th 2010 5:18 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8846531)
Hi,

Groan.

Do what Mrs DB did when our E-vision stopped working and nobody came for 2 weeks.....

1. Go into E-vision HQ offices
2. Ask one of the helpdesk ladies very nicely if she can speak to a supervisor
3. Refuse to take a seat and walk up and down in loud clicky heels until aforementioned supervisor appears
4. Follow him into office and profusely apologise for troubling him (throw in a couple of choking sobs for good measure)
5. When he promises to phone the technical supervisor, thank him and then sit on his sofa with expectant smile.
6. When relevant phone call results in promise of technician visiting house within 1 hour, give more gushing thank you's and request his name and personal number for future reference.

Guess what.....technician was there within 1 hour!
Result.

Dont let their management hide behind poor training, laziness, crap planning and greed. Get in their face and they will do anything to get rid of you. And DONT take no for an answer.

DB

Meow Sep 15th 2010 6:40 am

As well as contacts at Etisalat, I have excellent contacts at Etihad and fix problems every week, but I guess too many people actually enjoy whining & complaining rather than getting a problem solved. :rolleyes:

Millsyisland Sep 16th 2010 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8849333)
As well as contacts at Etisalat, I have excellent contacts at Etihad and fix problems every week, but I guess too many people actually enjoy whining & complaining rather than getting a problem solved. :rolleyes:

Lucky you.

Meow Sep 16th 2010 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 8851878)
Lucky you.

*sigh* Fixing issues for other people is what I do, hence my offer. I write a newspaper column each week on this kind of thing.
-

seven seas Sep 16th 2010 11:14 am

Try getting a hotel to sell you a ticket to an event.

Or even funnier, Time Out !!