Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Etiquette on meeting royalty...

Etiquette on meeting royalty...

Old Aug 24th 2008, 12:17 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Etiquette on meeting royalty...

Oh crap....

I've just learned that I have to meet Sheikha Latifa (Sheikh Mohammad's daughter) in a business meeting...

How the hell am I meant to act??? (I will have trouble just not passing out or being sick....) Probably best not to mention the Olympics....

Kinda nervous about this!

Any advice?
Old Aug 24th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Just Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really nice
Default Re: Etiquette on meeting royalty...

I work for a Sheikh, it's no big deal, just be polite, don't ask direct questions and speak when spoken to. Easy.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't consume a bottle of whisky to ease the nerves as you just might throw up over her...and don't kiss her either
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:30 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I wouldn't consume a bottle of whisky to ease the nerves as you just might throw up over her...and don't kiss her either
no tongues???

Seriously - how do I address her? Your Highness? Do I bow like a bowing thing on bowing Tuesday? If she offers her had to shake do I shake it (I'm guessing yes). Do I ask after her parents, are they keeping well etc
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Simply call her Sheikha or Sheika Latifa. I would not offer you hand to shake unless she offers hers, then follow her lead and shake. Don't be intimated (sounds laughable I know), they are real people and generally the higher "up" the chain they are, the more relaxed they are about being treated as royalty.

It is considered polite to ask about her family but only if you are acquainted them, if not you can ask generally as in "I hope your family are well" but I wouldn't ask for individuals unless you know them personally.

This of course is IMHO of course, but this has been my experience when meeting royalty here in Bahrain.. I made a tw*t of myself the first time as I didn't know who was on the phone and was having a few choice words at my hubby at the time, went down a treat I'm sure!!
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Ask her if she is related to Queen Latifah, I'm sure she's never heard that one before.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 3:01 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

if she offers to shake your hand you accept, otherwise it is very formal, and could you do me a favour and ask her to ask her Father why he shut the Country Club down

Old Aug 24th 2008, 4:17 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Oh crap....

I've just learned that I have to meet Sheikha Latifa (Sheikh Mohammad's daughter) in a business meeting...

How the hell am I meant to act??? (I will have trouble just not passing out or being sick....) Probably best not to mention the Olympics....

Kinda nervous about this!

Any advice?
Hi A,

I've worked for royalty in AD in the past. Just be polite and natural. And for god sake just act normal. Answer if asked a question. If there's one thing these people hate is a bad case of the nerves and the 24/7/365 days a year of ass licking. And if she waves her royal title towards you? Don't call her Sheikha what ever you do, that's a king size insult. She's not that bad of a person, believe me, and will know in a fraction of a second if you're honestly just trying to be polite.

Last edited by Dutchie; Aug 24th 2008 at 4:39 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me i'd talk to her like any other person.....what makes her any different to anyone else I meet in normal life. She's a human born into privilege but that doesn't make her superior.

Say g'day, how's it hanging....you'll be fine.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 5:41 pm