Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Etihad vs BA vs Qatar

Etihad vs BA vs Qatar

Old Sep 19th 2013, 5:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Etihad vs BA vs Qatar

Originally Posted by mikewot
Rare for me to completely agree with Scamps but my experience of BA was exactly the same and I was premium economy.
It's one of those things though isn't it, can only go on what you've experienced. My Sister flies loads with work and religiously uses BA because she loves them.

That being said (about BA), my last Emirates flight resulted in me being bumped off it (but we did get free flights so no bother) and I've had one experience of horrific hosties who were just *****. BUT, you can't win 'em all.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Flew BA from DXB to LHR last Friday night on Premium Economy/World Traveller Plus as it was only an extra 200dibs each, the only times I’d done so in the past was on free upgrades. At that price I’d use it all the time, it gives an extra bag allowance (which meant I could take the golf clubs back – and they remembered them) throughout all associated flights, including my internal ones and the return although I was on regular economy for that.

Personally I use whichever of BA, KLM or Lufthansa, is cheaper for a flight home, and in that order of preference if prices are similar. Ok, Emirates is better but the prices are usually 1.5 or 2 times as much, and which the seats, entertainment and food are better I think they have the worst level of service.

As an aside does anyone have a list of destinations that can be flown to directly from Dubai and AD?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

BA are shocking.

Been flying Etihad recently and they're good. Pretty much same same as Emirates without thinking their shit don't stink. Also AD airport is a lot better than Dubai in terms of nonballacheness.

Flying Virgin in a few weeks. Last time I used them it was good, although since then I have heard some horror stories.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

When I checked both BA and Etihad about 3 weeks ago for flights to the UK over the Christmas period, BA economy were a little more expensive than Etihad economy, and both had very little availability left. But I was surprised, as was said earlier, how much little extra BA charge for premium economy.

Though the online reviews seem a bit mixed, and I have not used them myself, a friend has used Gulf Air a few times Abu Dhabi to London, with a short stop over at Bahrain - they are a lot cheaper than both BA and Etihad, and one time, when his daughter fell ill during a flight, they were unbelievably helpful about sorting out medical care in Bahrain, rearranging her flights, etc - he couldn't sing their praises more highly for that.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Pick the cheapest option and suffer it , it's a 7 hour flight .

Ive spent more time on the bog after a night out !
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Pick the cheapest option and suffer it , it's a 7 hour flight .

Ive spent more time on the bog after a night out !
Why suffer?

It's 'only' 7 hours but that's long enough for me to not really enjoy it. I'd rather spend a bit more and be comfortable and have a range of shit to watch than be uncomfortable, bored and hating it.

**** that shit.

Anyway, what are most of you bellends moaning about, you all get flights or flight allowances? Pay up you bastards.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Why suffer?

It's 'only' 7 hours but that's long enough for me to not really enjoy it. I'd rather spend a bit more and be comfortable and have a range of shit to watch than be uncomfortable, bored and hating it.

**** that shit.

Anyway, what are most of you bellends moaning about, you all get flights or flight allowances? Pay up you bastards.
Get on , buckle up and drop a Valium , you could be flying home in a Stuka and you would'nt know the difference
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:13 am
Account Closed

Get on , buckle up and drop a Valium , you could be flying home in a Stuka and you would'nt know the difference
You make a good point.

I don't dislike flying I just get restless, bored and uncomfortable regardless. Making it as painless as possible is worth the cash for me.

Valium - not gone that far yet but if I was going longer than 9/10 hours I would.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Rhino1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hahah - totally agreed.
On the note of BA, I just got off the phone to them here in the Abu Dhabi and they said that 80-90% of their aircrafts have all been upgraded B777-200 with all the new WTP and WT classes so the flight should be 'pleasent'

Only god knows if you will end up on the remaining 10% that havent.
I know for certain those planes are horrid, food horrid and seats horrid!
I wish I could use my travel allowance but I used it in July!

I normally use Etihad but no way am I paying them 5700-6200 a ticket on economy, 10,000 will take you business class on BA!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:26 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I always found a skinful at the Irish Bar at the airport followed by a few wines on the plane and I'm asleep before the Black sea, then wake up for a quick snifter an hour or so before landing.

Whilst asleep i probably snore and dribble a lot - best not sit near me...
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

What's all this about economy or world traveller (plus) etc?

Is that the bit behind the curtain I've heard about?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
What's all this about economy or world traveller (plus) etc?

Is that the bit behind the curtain I've heard about?
Twat.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Twat.
Er, my comment was what we'd call a 'joke'.

Great retort though, well done.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
Er, my comment was what we'd call a 'joke'.

Great retort though, well done.
This is awkward, I meant that in a light-hearted fashion.

Friendship beer?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

This is awkward, I meant that in a light-hearted fashion.

Friendship beer?
Sure, let's have a virtual hug too (or is that taking it a bit far?)

If you can make it to the Du Forum in Abu Dhabi tonight I'll buy you a real beer, with 'Delilah' or 'Sex Bomb' in the background..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.