Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Etihad bus (EY5103)

The Etihad bus (EY5103)

Old Mar 16th 2012, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Etihad bus (EY5103)

I've just realised that an Etihad flight booked from Dubai (via the bus to Abu Dhabi) is cheaper than the same flight departing from Abu Dhabi.

If I book the 'Dubai' flight - do I have to take the bus? or can I just drive down? (my preference)
Old Mar 16th 2012, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Etihad bus (EY5103)

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I've just realised that an Etihad flight booked from Dubai (via the bus to Abu Dhabi) is cheaper than the same flight departing from Abu Dhabi.

If I book the 'Dubai' flight - do I have to take the bus? or can I just drive down? (my preference)
You must take the bus - bizarrely, it actually counts as a 'connecting flight' (hence the flight number). If you don't take the bus, you haven't checked in....... seat cancelled.

Last edited by The Dean; Mar 16th 2012 at 6:59 am. Reason: .
Old Mar 16th 2012, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
You must take the bus - bizarrely, it actually counts as a 'connecting flight' (hence the flight number). If you don't take the bus, you haven't checked in....... seat cancelled.
Thanks - sadly not exactly what I wanted to hear, but best be forewarned and all that!
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:54 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You absolutely sure? I flew on Emirates last year, and had a reservation on the Emirates bus from AD to DXB (which has a flight-type number), and asked Emirates if I had to use it and I seem to remember (not 100% sure) that it was optional. I used it in the end, and it was tolerable. Trouble is with asking there's no certainty that you'll get the right answer...
Old Mar 16th 2012, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

I've flown twice with Etihad and both times they sent a nice car to take me to Abu Dhabi, so no you don't have to take the bus.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 1:47 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

I cant imagine this is mandatory. I recently flew Emirates and had the bus booked to travel to Abu Dhabi from Dubai. However the Emirates flight was delayed and once I got through the efficient passport control at Dubai the last bus had left. The Emirates desk was very unhelpful and so I had to get a 400Aed taxi instead (was 2:30am in the morning)
Old Mar 16th 2012, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jackwow
I've flown twice with Etihad and both times they sent a nice car to take me to Abu Dhabi, so no you don't have to take the bus.
I'm paying - hence it's an economy ticket!

I have decided to pay the extra 60 AED / person for the pleasure of driving to AD and paying for parking at the airport... I can't be arsed with taking a bus from marina mall at 5.30am with a 4 year old...

Last edited by Millhouse; Mar 16th 2012 at 4:32 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

smallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to all

Family fly via emirates to meet me during the kids vacations. The proper check in is done in Abu Dhabi so I reckon it wouldn't matter if you travelled to AUH by an alternate mode.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm paying - hence it's an economy ticket!
I was paying too.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

@ Jackwow - I imagine that was a business class flight you were booked on? They will do that for you - the key issue is that you cannot just 'do nothing'. The way round it would simply be to book your journey to start from Ab Dab.

@ Fossildog - no - of course it doesn't matter at the end of a flight

Anyway - if you are booked to start in Dubai and don't tell them you're not using the bus - your flight will be cancelled.