Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Entry ban to UAE for all African nationalities?

Entry ban to UAE for all African nationalities?

Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entry ban to UAE for all African nationalities?

I’ve recently been offered (and accepted) a job with a company based in Abu Dhabi and my contract is due to commence August 1st.

I’m a British national and my wife and daughter are both Nigerian passport holders.

Last week, the company sent me through a letter of sponsorship and associated documents to take to the UAE embassy in London, to make visitor visa applications for my wife and daughter. Last Thursday, when we reached the UAE embassy, I gave the application form, all of our passports and the sponsorship documents to the consular officer at the visa window. Having taken a brief look, within 30 seconds, the officer returned everything and said that the embassy “is only issuing diplomatic visas” and we should apply for a travel document through Eithad or through a hotel. This is all contrary to the information posted on the UAE London embassy website.

I then called the Etihad office in London and was told that they (Etihad) no longer issue travel documents since they “could not guarantee they would be ready in time for the travel date”. They referred us back to the UAE embassy!

Neither the embassy or Etihad made any mention of a ban on entry to the UAE for Nigerians (or any other African nationality for that matter).

I received a call today from the MD of the company, informing me that they had been in contact with the immigration authorities in Abu Dhabi, who had told them that there was an “unofficial” ban on visas or travel documents for all African nationalities.

This all seems a complete nonsense to me, one of my wife’s friends in Lagos was issued with a UAE travel document less than a week ago and the daily Emirates flight from Lagos to Dubai is running as full as it usually is.

Can anyone confirm a blanket ban on African nationalities travelling to the UAE?

Are there any alternative solutions whereby my family can join me in Abu Dhabi?

Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry ban to UAE for all African nationalities?

I had heard this, its due to a couple of UAE nationals being found dead from an overdose in the home of an african and one catching aids from a Kenyan national based in Dubai (this is from memory so may not be exactly correct but was something along these lines), it didn't make headline news but I have a friend in HR who informed me of the ban. No idea how you can get around it I'm afraid.

Good luck!

Kittycat
x

PS I was also told that no visas would be renewed

Last edited by kittycat1; Jul 25th 2010 at 7:11 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

just found this link might be worth getting in touch with the guy.

http://africannewslive.com/?p=3930
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kitty xx

Just been on the phone again to both Emirates and Etihad. Both confirm no ban on Africans. As your previous post, the Arabs don't like Niggas. Which we knew already from our year and a half in Libya.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:09 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

..and also in Kuwait for all Africans, white or black had to take aids tests at a higher frequency than other nationals - white or black. It is not to do with colour!

..and Britain has an unannounced ban on single male travellers under 35 y.o. from W Africa so it is not just UAE.