British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Is it enough??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/enough-762333/)

LMMB2012 Jun 20th 2012 4:02 pm

Is it enough???

Hello

My husband has potentially been offered a job with Qatar Airways and would be working within a fairly senior role at the new airport...I think Grade 10 the package although not confirmed would be 40/45000 per month an allowance for education we have three children and an allowance for housing. What should we expect, what to look out for etc etc any feedback would be appreciated we are from the UK.

Could we live and save on that amount?

auzdafluff Jun 20th 2012 5:35 pm

Re: Is it enough???

Originally Posted by LMMB2012 (Post 10129473)
Hello

My husband has potentially been offered a job with Qatar Airways and would be working within a fairly senior role at the new airport...I think Grade 10 the package although not confirmed would be 40/45000 per month an allowance for education we have three children and an allowance for housing. What should we expect, what to look out for etc etc any feedback would be appreciated we are from the UK.

Could we live and save on that amount?

I don't live in Qatar myself, but I think the main issue with education over there isn't so much the allowances, but the severe lack of places.

LMMB2012 Jun 20th 2012 6:06 pm

Yes it appears to be very difficult to gain a school place. I have researched this and if we make the move I would be keen On Park House or British Montessori ( although believe the list for there is now closed). I know that Sherbourne have places in Year 6 however this appears to be far more expensive than other schools.

Alexa Jun 20th 2012 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by LMMB2012 (Post 10129652)
Yes it appears to be very difficult to gain a school place. I have researched this and if we make the move I would be keen On Park House or British Montessori ( although believe the list for there is now closed). I know that Sherbourne have places in Year 6 however this appears to be far more expensive than other schools.

Sorry to say, but from what I hear, both schools are crap..no experience myself though. If you want good, go to DESS, Compass , Doha College or ASD.
If money is an issue, sorry to say, if you value your kids education, you are pretty much screwed.
On the other hand, it also depends on what kind of standard you expect.

For more info on this, go to www.expatwoman.com
The Qatar branch.

LMMB2012 Jun 20th 2012 6:56 pm

Thank you for your replies with regards to schools I take on board what people are saying.

What about salary 0f 40,000/45,000 QR per month does that sound any good he has been told education and housing allowances will be provoded.

Many Thanks

Oyibopeppeh Jun 20th 2012 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by LMMB2012 (Post 10129733)

What about salary 0f 40,000/45,000 QR per month does that sound any good he has been told education and housing allowances will be provoded.

Being "told" something and seeing it materialize are two different things. He should get it confirmed in writing and preferably in a contract of employment.

If the 40/45K is net salary, that's pretty good.

LMMB2012 Jun 20th 2012 7:56 pm

Thank you for replies..yes would ensure all was in writing before signing.

Mogs Jun 21st 2012 5:57 am

Originally Posted by LMMB2012 (Post 10129733)
Thank you for your replies with regards to schools I take on board what people are saying.

Many Thanks

As a base salary excluding housing and education yes it is good

mentalist Jun 21st 2012 6:42 am

You need them to confirm in writing exactly how much the housing and education allowances will be.

co durham boy Jun 21st 2012 10:54 am

"Does this sound enough money? 40000/45000qr per month and an education allowance and housing allowance will obviously get any offers confirmed in writing. Also wanted to ask this forum in particular as have also posted on some other ones where answers appear to be rather sarcastic to say the least. How do people in particular from the UK compare schools to UK state system I realise difficulty of gaining places but once you do how would you say they are in comparison. Know it is difficult to say as each individual school will be different but do you find your children happy at school and achieving as much as they did at home. I would very much appreciate any shared experiences. Thank you "

I think she means us as in sarcastic......

Kix Jun 21st 2012 11:06 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10130843)
"Does this sound enough money? 40000/45000qr per month and an education allowance and housing allowance will obviously get any offers confirmed in writing. Also wanted to ask this forum in particular as have also posted on some other ones where answers appear to be rather sarcastic to say the least. How do people in particular from the UK compare schools to UK state system I realise difficulty of gaining places but once you do how would you say they are in comparison. Know it is difficult to say as each individual school will be different but do you find your children happy at school and achieving as much as they did at home. I would very much appreciate any shared experiences. Thank you "

I think she means us as in sarcastic......

It got better...

I know what you mean about sarcastic responses - some forums are more caustic than others - this one seems to be nice and friendly though so I've given up with one or two of the others
EW friendly???? PMSL, there's mostly jumped up busybodies on there than like nothing better than pushing their noses into other peoples business...

co durham boy Jun 21st 2012 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10130856)
It got better...

EW friendly???? PMSL, there's mostly jumped up busybodies on there than like nothing better than pushing their noses into other peoples business...

Mate , they're the most naive bunch of people on the planet , the shit that goes on that forum is amazing

They're so far out of touch it's unreal , most of them probably need a good shagging as their husbands are usually hanging out the back of the maid !

Living the dream as they say............

Alexa Jun 21st 2012 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10130886)
Mate , they're the most naive bunch of people on the planet , the shit that goes on that forum is amazing

They're so far out of touch it's unreal , most of them probably need a good shagging as their husbands are usually hanging out the back of the maid !

Living the dream as they say............

Actually the EW Doha forum is VERY different from the Dubai one....

co durham boy Jun 22nd 2012 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10131040)
Actually the EW Doha forum is VERY different from the Dubai one....

More anal...;)

LMMB2012 Jun 22nd 2012 1:26 pm

I wonder why if some people dislike the "other" forum that they bother taking the time to read it!!!