British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   English Premier League and Chamions League Matches (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/english-premier-league-chamions-league-matches-478538/)

ilmalti Sep 2nd 2007 3:54 pm

English Premier League and Chamions League Matches

I will be arriving in Abu Dhabi in the 1st week of October. Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere that shows matches from the English and Champions leagues? I do not really want to miss out on watching these games and was wondering if there is any place that one can go to to enjoy the games.
Another question if you would permit me. Is there a place where European expats hang around to chill in the evenings. I do not want to become a hermit in some flat for the duration of my stay.

The Dean Sep 2nd 2007 4:14 pm

Re: English Premier League and Chamions League Matches

Originally Posted by ilmalti (Post 5264109)
I will be arriving in Abu Dhabi in the 1st week of October. Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere that shows matches from the English and Champions leagues? I do not really want to miss out on watching these games and was wondering if there is any place that one can go to to enjoy the games.
Another question if you would permit me. Is there a place where European expats hang around to chill in the evenings. I do not want to become a hermit in some flat for the duration of my stay.

Lots of sports bars but beware - you will arrive in the middle of Ramadan so ask about availability. Ab Dab is stricter than Dubai in Ramadan.

Not much of an answer really - sorry.

oktoberon Sep 2nd 2007 4:29 pm

Stayed tuned buddy, anything happening, this is the place

Fairydust Sep 2nd 2007 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by oktoberon (Post 5264180)
Stayed tuned buddy, anything happening, this is the place

Premiership is on showtime not sure about champions league yet but good coverage of english football on showtime if thats your thing!!!

Inselaffen Sep 2nd 2007 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 5264533)
Premiership is on showtime not sure about champions league yet but good coverage of english football on showtime if thats your thing!!!

think champions league is on Orbit! but some bars will have it on DSTV from S.Africa! as all champions league games are night matches ramadan shouldnt be a problem!

Guess you wont be able to watch early kick-off Premier league matches in bars though!

Blue Cat Sep 3rd 2007 4:09 am

http://www.showtimearabia.com/premie...ult_en_gb.aspx

shakh your bootie Sep 3rd 2007 5:29 am

Hi Imalti

Unless they change things from last year (there seem to be minor variations on Ramadan regulations from year to year in AD), then you should find the sports bars open from 7:30 pm onwards during Ramadan. There is no restriction on showing live sports in public during Ramadan, so you should have no worries there. A number of bars show the UK matches - try the Tavern at the Sheraton, Heros at Crowne Plaza or the Sports Bar at Meridien Village.

For afternoon matches, you may find things trickier - try phoning around the hotels (many of them keep a coffee shop or bar discreetly open during the day, may be that they will show matches there???).

ilmalti Sep 3rd 2007 2:36 pm

Thanks for your help everyone. Hope will be able to meet up with other expats while over there.

Blue Cat Sep 3rd 2007 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ilmalti (Post 5267793)
Thanks for your help everyone. Hope will be able to meet up with other expats while over there.

our nights out are compulsory :)

shakh your bootie Sep 3rd 2007 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ilmalti (Post 5267793)

That's be great - we need to get the Abu Dhabi posters together. There seems to be more & more of us!