Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

England v Brazil match

England v Brazil match

Old Nov 7th 2009, 7:27 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all
Default Re: England v Brazil match

Now we've got the tickets sorted, the flights booked and the hotel booked........what is the procedure for visas?

We are both English with UK passports travelling from Bahrain on Gulf Air.

Can we get them on arrival and if so how?

I just saw this on the "OnlineQatar" site whilst looking for visa info

"Visitors on tourist visas must fly in using Qatar Airways."

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

You pay at immigration at Doha airport - I can't remember how much though.

You don't have to fly with Qatar airways, I fly Emirates when going to Qatar.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Kiara is an unknown quantity at this point

Tourist Visa 100 QAR (approx 16 GPB). Pay by credit card at visa gate is best. Prob UK notes taken too, not sure.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by admon
pants on fire.
Tickets still available online right now.
My pants are always on fire Mister

ok ok so as of 2pm today there are 17 tickets in A16 still available, and about 300 right up the back behind the goal, which is pretty slim pickings in a stadium of 50,000. Next time i'll be sure to say 99.366% sold out

I HAD 2 surplus tickets in good position, but don't worry, I've already passed them on at cost
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiara
My pants are always on fire Mister

ok ok so as of 2pm today there are 17 tickets in A16 still available, and about 300 right up the back behind the goal, which is pretty slim pickings in a stadium of 50,000. Next time i'll be sure to say 99.366% sold out

I HAD 2 surplus tickets in good position, but don't worry, I've already passed them on at cost
Don't get your knockers in a twist with me.
At the time of your post there was still over 5000 tickets left. Which would have made it under 90%.
If you are going to be pedantic, at least get your facts straight.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by admon
Don't get your knockers in a twist with me.
At the time of your post there was still over 5000 tickets left. Which would have made it under 90%.
If you are going to be pedantic, at least get your facts straight.
I love a man telling me to get MY facts straight. Did you count more than 5000 tickets? I can just see you checking the 17 right now, oops they're gone. Maybe someone read my last post and snapped em up.

You are right, next time I won't be so pedantic and shall just refer to it as "sold out". Right after attempting to tie my knockers in a twist, which is very unlikely by the way.

Has it occurred to you that "sold out" was a calculated comment on 5th Nov based on rate of sale of available tickets? By your own admission (two posts before that) they were selling fast, and it seems my prediction is about to be fulfilled and the match will in fact be sold out. Maybe I can foresee the future?

"I hereby predict that Admon is going to post another reply attempting to prove that Kiara was at least 10% wrong."

So there you go, prove me wrong, big guy.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eylesda
Kiara, what tickets do you have? I got 2 behind goal at QR 100 and at that price am a bit sceptical.
Hi Eylesda, what do you mean by sceptical? Tickets in east stand were only 150QAR. I agree that behind the goal may not be such a good position, but mostly you (and kids) coming for the experience right? So any tickets are good. If your coming from Bahrain, and spending money on plane tickets, then 100 or 150 is very little for tickets. I'm not convinced that the 500 or 700 tickets offer relatively better value, but would be a significant cost for full family.

I hope you all enjoy the game.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:34 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Hi Kiara,

Did'nt mean to ruffle any feathers, by sceptical I meant that the tickets are so reasonably priced and for a sell out match of some of the best players in the world that I had my doubts as to the seat location.

Of course I'm comparing with European prices.

You are right, I am taking my son for the experience and QR 100 is nothing compared with the cost of the flights and hotel. I will be looking for better tickets when I get there Saturday mid day so if anyone has a couple for sale then pls let me know.

My son has been reading on various blogs about some expected violence between rival mobs of fans. Let's hope this is just rumour.

And, yes, we will enjoy the game and the time spent together.

Cheers.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiara
I love a man telling me to get MY facts straight. Did you count more than 5000 tickets? I can just see you checking the 17 right now, oops they're gone. Maybe someone read my last post and snapped em up.

You are right, next time I won't be so pedantic and shall just refer to it as "sold out". Right after attempting to tie my knockers in a twist, which is very unlikely by the way.

Has it occurred to you that "sold out" was a calculated comment on 5th Nov based on rate of sale of available tickets? By your own admission (two posts before that) they were selling fast, and it seems my prediction is about to be fulfilled and the match will in fact be sold out. Maybe I can foresee the future?

"I hereby predict that Admon is going to post another reply attempting to prove that Kiara was at least 10% wrong."

So there you go, prove me wrong, big guy.
At the time of your 'sold out' post 5th November, there were more than 5000 seats still available. You stated ''the match is sold out''.
Not ''its going to be'' or ''its likely to be''

Typical bloody woman, lets forget about the facts and create some gossip.
Stop being a plank.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

I will be very surprised if there is any violence. Unlike Bahrain, the police in Qatar take a complete zero tolerance to violence, profanities and being drunk in public. Unless (by some stroke of the Devil) they decide to serve alcohol in a restricted area outside the stadium (why???), I just can't see how people will be able to drink, and get to the game drunk. It's going to take hours to get there in a car, and by then you would be sober. You can go early and get there in 30 min, but the result is the same by game time.

English fans need to be aware of being in a Muslim country, which prohibits being drunk in public. The pseudo-standard response from the police is ONE MONTH IN JAIL followed by immediate deportation. Forget trial and defence, if you are drunk in public you go to straight jail (deliberately using US spelling to avoid football pun). Unless, again, the police decide to take a liberal view on this one night, and I can't see why they would given that many locals will be there too, and families like yours.

I doubt you'll be able to swap your ticket. All mine are gone, but there are still some on Qatar Living – classifieds, at a premium. Contrary to various rants above, the match really is sold out now. (see proof here admon) http://buy.tickethour.com/qfa-ww/showProductList.html, so good luck and I hope you don’t get screwed. How many do you need? I know many people with tickets and they may have some spare, but really I think you are best to just go with the tickets you have.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

crw1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just on the visa point. You pay for it at the desk when you go through passport control. You need to pay by creditcard. It is 100 QAR. Just for information you will not be able to pay by Amex- just in case that was your only creditcard!

If you travel with just cash you will not be able to pay at the desk, instead you will be sent to a cashiers where you can buy an e-payment card which permits you to load cash on and then pay using the card at passport control- believe me this is a pain having forgotton my credit card once when travelling through!

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

crw1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry a quick follow up on the airline point made above. There is no issue in terms of getting a visit visa if you have flown with an airline other than Qatar Airways. I have travelled to Qatar on 36 occassions in the last 18 months and most occassions I have flown with Emirates.

Regards

Chris
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Worth checking Air Arabia and Fly Dubai ticket prices, usually 600-900AED Vs 1200-1500 for Qatar Air and Emirates. Personally I like Sharjah airport caus I can get through in 10 min both ways.

Tip - get yourself a Diners Club card for free entry to Business lounge at Sharjah, 1st Class lounge at Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain + many others. Between that an HSBC Platinum card, most airports will have one lounge that you can go into for free. Qatar airport has three lounges but one needs to have an American Express card to get in or Qatar Privilege Silver.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:25 am
Banned

Just back from Qatar and what a fantastic experience it was.

Very well organized, the traffic police cordoned off the area so pedestrian access only, ques well behaved, zero trouble.

The Villagio mall is right beside the stadium which filled in some time at possibly the worst chinese restaurant on the planet,
so bad it was funny in a Faulty Towers sort of way.

There were a lot of empty seats in the more expensive section of the stadium which was explained as the ticket being
bought by firms as give aways to clients who never used them. Shame really.

Anyway hat's off to Qatar.

Oh, and we lost......
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Qataruser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eylesda
Just back from Qatar and what a fantastic experience it was.

Very well organized, the traffic police cordoned off the area so pedestrian access only, ques well behaved, zero trouble.

The Villagio mall is right beside the stadium which filled in some time at possibly the worst chinese restaurant on the planet,
so bad it was funny in a Faulty Towers sort of way.

There were a lot of empty seats in the more expensive section of the stadium which was explained as the ticket being
bought by firms as give aways to clients who never used them. Shame really.

Anyway hat's off to Qatar.

Oh, and we lost......
ha ha hah ha ha I really don't know how that Chinese place is still open. It's simply the worst food in the World. I gurarantee you will NOT FIND WORSE FOOD anywhere in the world.