British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Employment Questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/employment-questions-481967/)

DibDab Sep 18th 2007 3:29 pm

Employment Questions

I am a Brit moving out to Dubai with my husband in the next couple of weeks. I will obviously be on his Visa and am currently investigating employment opportunities. I am currently working as a Publishing Support Manager for a large Publishing company in Amsterdam but previously to that was working in the Theatre in London. I would like to go back to working in the Arts or possibly conference/events/hospitality. Would anyone have any advice/leads or useful contacts.
Thanks

Bob Sep 18th 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Employment Questions

welcome to BE.

As for your question, I wouldn't really know, though browse through the wiki to see if there are any agencies in the list that might be of use :)

beebee Sep 18th 2007 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by DibDab (Post 5326124)
I am a Brit moving out to Dubai with my husband in the next couple of weeks. I will obviously be on his Visa and am currently investigating employment opportunities. I am currently working as a Publishing Support Manager for a large Publishing company in Amsterdam but previously to that was working in the Theatre in London. I would like to go back to working in the Arts or possibly conference/events/hospitality. Would anyone have any advice/leads or useful contacts.
Thanks

If you are coming here anyway then explore the opportunities when you get here... sorry can't be of more help as the usual helpers are missing...

Inselaffen Sep 18th 2007 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 5327371)
If you are coming here anyway then explore the opportunities when you get here... sorry can't be of more help as the usual helpers are missing...

Im here :mad::curse:

beebee Sep 18th 2007 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5327375)
Im here :mad::curse:

Ins.. you are my hero :wub:

Cham128 Sep 18th 2007 11:11 pm

actually yeah it does seem a little weird... everyone's dissappeared off the boards

Blue Cat Sep 19th 2007 2:56 pm

I'am back :)

IndieG Sep 19th 2007 3:02 pm

Not exactly missing, but in bed at 1:20am:lol:

shakh your bootie Sep 19th 2007 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by DibDab (Post 5326124)
Thanks

There is a growing Arts scene over here, with many more venues due to open up (albeit in Abu Dhabi on the Saddiyat Island project - Louvre, Guggenheim, several new theatres etc). There is publishing, too, but mainly in the magazine sector - a friend of mine got a job as a staff writer just by calling up & asking. Events, corporate horse brutality & conferencing is a big business here, too - worth looking into.

Cham128 Sep 19th 2007 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5329976)
I'am back :)

back? where did you go in the first place? lol

IndieG Sep 19th 2007 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5330220)
back? where did you go in the first place? lol

She was stuck in sweet jam;)

Cham128 Sep 19th 2007 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5330226)
She was stuck in sweet jam;)

ahh yes... i'm still having major probs with that jam... i thought everything was ok but it doesn't seem to want to agree with me

shakh your bootie Sep 19th 2007 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5330246)
ahh yes... i'm still having major probs with that jam... i thought everything was ok but it doesn't seem to want to agree with me

ditto... just as well, i waste enough time on here as it is...

Cham128 Sep 19th 2007 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5330254)
ditto... just as well, i waste enough time on here as it is...

its not wasted time... just better use of it than what you're actually getting paid for lol

shakh your bootie Sep 19th 2007 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5330262)
its not wasted time... just better use of it than what you're actually getting paid for lol

:rofl:

Mate, it's 8:10 pm. They stopped paying me to be here at 3:30PM!!!

If i wasn't switching to BE between my proper work, I woulda been out of here ages ago!

Anyway, I can hear a steak & a glass of wine calling. Time to make like a fuse....

l8r