Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emirates rd renamed after AD Crown Prince

Emirates rd renamed after AD Crown Prince

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:14 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emirates rd renamed after AD Crown Prince

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...i-crown-prince
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:36 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirates rd renamed after AD Crown Prince

Not sure it's wise naming another major road after one of the Zayed's. Not because they shouldn't be able to, but because SZR is commonly known as Sheikhy Z by some. Now it'll be a case of which one.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Not sure it's wise naming another major road after one of the Zayed's. Not because they shouldn't be able to, but because SZR is commonly known as Sheikhy Z by some. Now it'll be a case of which one.
My thoughts exactly. It's now foever going to be which Sheikh Zayed Road? I liked the name Emirates Road as it connects 3 emirates.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

I still remember when it was called the Ring Road.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:45 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
But it's being named after Shaikh Mohammed (bin Zayed) so where's the problem? It is now Shaikh Mohammed road - more like to get confused with our own MBR really. The Burj Khalifa is named after MBZ's brother, Khalifa bin Zayed, but nobody calls it the Burj Zayed... If you get confused, why not call it after MBZ's local nickname: bu Dhors (means missing teeth - i suggest to use carefully)

Much more interesting (at least to those few of us who seem to take any real interest in the inner workings of the country where we live) is the public acknowledgement of the Bu Fatimas on such a high profile naming. There must be some additional significance. MBZ supposedly lost some of his behind-the-scenes influence after the Dubai collapse (he was championing a similar model for AD) but he is clearly in charge of internal security and the driving force behind the Khufar army, the arrests of bloggers and "terrorist cells" and the silly Oman spying fiasco. My local sources are playing dumb so far but speculation about Khalifa's health must be inevitable again now? Anybody got any insights they are prepared to share fearlessly?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

There has been speculation about Khalifa's health for some time though. Apparently he's rarely seen in public these days and I'm sure we've all heard the various rumours. I suspect I was thinking along the same lines when the name change was announced.

On a similar topic, do posters refer to Diyafah Street or 2nd December Street?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:00 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
There has been speculation about Khalifa's health for some time though. Apparently he's rarely seen in public these days and I'm sure we've all heard the various rumours. I suspect I was thinking along the same lines when the name change was announced.

Al Diyafah street, always.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

Flag Pole Road
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
But it's being named after Shaikh Mohammed (bin Zayed) so where's the problem? It is now Shaikh Mohammed road - more like to get confused with our own MBR really. The Burj Khalifa is named after MBZ's brother, Khalifa bin Zayed, but nobody calls it the Burj Zayed... If you get confused, why not call it after MBZ's local nickname: bu Dhors (means missing teeth - i suggest to use carefully)

Much more interesting (at least to those few of us who seem to take any real interest in the inner workings of the country where we live) is the public acknowledgement of the Bu Fatimas on such a high profile naming. There must be some additional significance. MBZ supposedly lost some of his behind-the-scenes influence after the Dubai collapse (he was championing a similar model for AD) but he is clearly in charge of internal security and the driving force behind the Khufar army, the arrests of bloggers and "terrorist cells" and the silly Oman spying fiasco. My local sources are playing dumb so far but speculation about Khalifa's health must be inevitable again now? Anybody got any insights they are prepared to share fearlessly?
I suspect it is more that he paid for all the new interchanges
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I suspect it is more that he paid for all the new interchanges
But did he? I thought he was the one who had to tell MBR at the famous Mos' meeting in Dec 2009, this is all you're getting and don't you f**king dare ever to pull a stunt like that again...(the Nakheel default).

I was wondering where the RTA found the money to suddenly pick up the pace on the long-dragging works. I assumed it must have come mainly from the Salik deal. Did they really get more cash from AD?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:24 am

The speculation had eased off a lot in the past year though and remember him showing up bizarrely in Turkmenistan or wherever it was a few months ago. King Abdullah has seemed a much more likely candidate to go first...

I had totally forgotten about remnaming of Diyafah Street - it clearly never took. I suspect Emirates Road will remain known as such. Though I thought Burj Khalifa wouldn't stick either. Mind you, it was new at the time so not much established usage (other than the years it was being built).
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

But did he? I thought he was the one who had to tell MBR at the famous Mos' meeting in Dec 2009, this is all you're getting and don't you f**king dare ever to pull a stunt like that again...(the Nakheel default).

I was wondering where the RTA found the money to suddenly pick up the pace on the long-dragging works. I assumed it must have come mainly from the Salik deal. Did they really get more cash from AD?
You may well be right. I'm guessing.

The Sailk deal raised 800m in mid 2011 so maybe this has helped pay for the roads (a lot of work did seem to restart about then). I understand that the deal was done by the finance department and not the RTA though - so there is nothing to say where the money really went.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

who paid for all the fireworks I ask myself
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

from the Salik deal.
A bit like the UK MOD selling big chunks of land for average prices and then leasing it back from the buyers for 10 years at a total cost greater than the sale price?

Smart stuff.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
A bit like the UK MOD selling big chunks of land for average prices and then leasing it back from the buyers for 10 years at a total cost greater than the sale price?

Smart stuff.
why is that such a bad idea? You have a car loan, don't you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.