British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Emirates ID card deadline brought forward to 31/12 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/emirates-id-card-deadline-brought-forward-31-12-a-569018/)

IndieG Oct 24th 2008 8:03 am

Emirates ID card deadline brought forward to 31/12

by 2 years......... and everyone including kids has to get the id........

Half a million Emiratis and expatriate professionals have only two months to obtain a national ID card or they will lose access to health care and other government-related services, the Emirates Identity Authority (EIDA) disclosed yesterday.

The card will contain face and fingerprint scans and personal information, including passport and driving licence details, address, residency status and qualifications. Registering for it costs Dh100 (US$27) for adults and Dh50 for children.

Between 300,000 and 400,000 expatriate professionals across the UAE, including doctors, lawyers, teachers and engineers, are required to register for their biometric identity card by Dec 31 – not within two years, as was previously announced. In another change, all children need an ID card, not just those above 15.

There are also 200,000 Emiratis, out of about 835,000, who have yet to register for the programme and must do so by Dec 31. From Jan 1 onward, any Emirati citizen or expatriate deemed to have a “white-collar” profession by the EIDA who does not have a card will be denied access to any business involving a government department. That means they will be unable to visit a doctor, register a mobile phone, open a bank account, enrol their child in school or buy or rent property.

Expatriates have also been signing up for the cards for months now. But news that they only had two months – not two years – to obtain one came as a shock to some, who wondered why they were not given more notice.

The deadline was brought forward so that any problems with the system could be ironed out before the massive task of registering the estimated three million people designated as “blue collar” gets under way next year, said Thamer Rashed al Qasemi, the planning director of the project at EIDA.

Other than giving examples of professions that have been classified as white collar, Mr Qasemi could not explain how the categories have been defined. And although it has taken eight months to process more than 600,000 Emiratis and a small number of expatriates, he insisted the 28 EIDA centres were equipped to process half a million people in the next 10 weeks.

“Looking at the numbers that we have registered and our capabilities, we are able to register the categories we have called upon now,” he said. “In order for the ID card to be active and services activated, you need to have a good number of people registered. We are capable of handling this amount of people.”

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...424/0/BUSINESS

People were waiting for over 5 hours at the Karama centre to register...

Blue Cat Oct 24th 2008 8:33 am

Re: Emirates ID card deadline brought forward to 31/12

I am going to try the Al Barsha one ;)

IndieG Oct 24th 2008 8:51 am

I told hubby about getting this done........turns out he wasn't even aware of the ID thing:rolleyes:......think I'll end up paying a fine:frown:....

Confucius Oct 24th 2008 9:46 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 6905369)
I told hubby about getting this done........turns out he wasn't even aware of the ID thing:rolleyes:......think I'll end up paying a fine:frown:....

Some companies are doing it for their employees, but, the employee should do it for the rest of his family...Until 10 days ago, my company was one of these, lemme see next week if this has changed or not...

IndieG Oct 24th 2008 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6905474)
Some companies are doing it for their employees, but, the employee should do it for the rest of his family...Until 10 days ago, my company was one of these, lemme see next week if this has changed or not...

So I have to do it for my kids then...ooof, can't their schools do it for them?!

Jeeper Oct 24th 2008 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 6905524)
So I have to do it for my kids then...ooof, can't their schools do it for them?!

This is the first i've heard of any requirements on my part to get an id card....thought until now it was all just a 'planned' thing for some time in the future.:blink:

IndieG Oct 24th 2008 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 6906089)
This is the first i've heard of any requirements on my part to get an id card....thought until now it was all just a 'planned' thing for some time in the future.:blink:

lol Jeeper....happens when all you're doing is watching the Kiwi (.5575 at moment):D

NedKelly63 Oct 24th 2008 4:57 pm

Typical in this region,

A good idea poorly executed.

Confucius Oct 24th 2008 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 6905524)

Don't think so...Why not ask the company PRO, if you have access to the person who would be doing it for you or your husband...

IndieG Oct 24th 2008 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6907081)
Don't think so...Why not ask the company PRO, if you have access to the person who would be doing it for you or your husband...

Will check with HR....

Over 5,000 employees....thank God I'm not the PRO...lol

someone in al ain Oct 24th 2008 9:51 pm

Finished mine about a month ago :thumbsup:

MrsHaps Oct 25th 2008 10:11 am

Guys, my PRO (DIFC) told us we all have to do it individually, the company can not do it for us!?!

MacScot Oct 25th 2008 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6905333)
I am going to try the Al Barsha one ;)

..let us know how you get on and how long it took ! :)

Confucius Oct 25th 2008 10:20 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6908724)
Guys, my PRO (DIFC) told us we all have to do it individually, the company can not do it for us!?!

That's a shame...