Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Are Emirates Going down the pan

Are Emirates Going down the pan

Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:43 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are Emirates Going down the pan

Just been back to the Uk for a few days and was shocked at Emirates service. Its atrocious. It was one of the best 5 years ago, average 2 years ago and now somewhere below that. With Virgin starting up next April to Dubai, I wonder how long it'll be before Emirates cuts back the on the UK routes?? Also KLM, Lufthansa...etc etc now offer a far superior service at a lesser cost....

wots the world coming to?

'Disgusted' of
Tunbridge Wells
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:09 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Emirates Going down the pan

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Just been back to the Uk for a few days and was shocked at Emirates service. Its atrocious. It was one of the best 5 years ago, average 2 years ago and now somewhere below that. With Virgin starting up next April to Dubai, I wonder how long it'll be before Emirates cuts back the on the UK routes?? Also KLM, Lufthansa...etc etc now offer a far superior service at a lesser cost....

'Disgusted' of
Tunbridge Wells
My flight home this year with Emirates could have been much better. The service standard has definately dropped that is for certain.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:38 pm
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

I had read somewhere in the News that some management member got sacked due to the declining level of service provided by EK.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:33 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

'Disgusted' of
Tunbridge Wells

Have to say that my flight over was one of the best I have had with Emirates in a LONNG time.....

I was extremely impressed with the staff attitude and the ultra modern, ultra luxurious 777 aircraft that is now used on the service to London.

And here I thought that they were back in form....
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

My trip back to NZ with emirates was an absolute shocker!
every step of the way there was a problem
inability to check in at start and at stopover locations
boarding passes didn't work (but everyone elses did)
having our seats changed about so that I wasn't sitting with my missus on a 14.5 hour flight to melbourne!
tv screens crashed 17 times on that leg alone. (thankfully the plane didn't)
staff take ages to come when you press the 'hey hostess - come here' button.

If only I had some sort of choice for my trip home this year....

IMO they are one of the worst i've travelled on. Give me Cathay Pacific, Qantas, air new zealand any day........even aeroflot would do!

Emirates needs to pull it's head in and stop riding it's reputation.

but don't get me started......
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:54 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Just FYI, have a look at the latest (out today) SKYTRAX AWARDS.

Skytrax Research of London, UK, conduct the world's largest passenger surveys, with global coverage meaning that more than 80 nationalities participate in different studies each year.

Listed below you will find the "Top 10" Award Categories for 2005.

Best Airlines
World's Top 10
1 Cathay Pacific
2 Qantas Airways
3 Emirates
4 Singapore Airlines
5 British Airways
6 Malaysia Airlines
7 Thai Airways
8 Qatar Airways
9 Asiana Airlines
10 ANA All Nippon Airways

Best Airports
World's Top 10
1 Hong Kong Int'l Airport
2 Singapore Changi Airport
3 Seoul Incheon Airport
4 Munich Airport
5 Kansai Airport
6 Dubai Airport
7 KLIA Kuala Lumpur
8 Amsterdam Schiphol
9 Copenhagen Airport
10 Sydney Airport

Best Cabin Staff
World's Top 10
1 Asiana Airlines
2 Thai Airways
3 Malaysia Airlines
4 Singapore Airlines
5 Qatar Airways
6 China Airlines
7 Air Tahiti Nui
8 Cathay Pacific
9 ANA All Nippon Airways
10 SriLankan Airlines

Best Inflight Entertainment
World's Top 10
1 Emirates
2 Singapore Airlines
3 Virgin Atlantic
4 Cathay Pacific
5 Malaysia Airlines
6 Qatar Airways
7 ANA All Nippon Airways
8 South African Airways
9 Continental Airlines
10 Swiss

Best First Class Lounges
World's Top 10
1 Cathay Pacific
2 Thai Airways
3 South African Airways
4 Asiana Airlines
5 Malaysia Airlines
6 Lufthansa
7 Singapore Airlines
8 Qatar Airways
9 Gulf Air
10 Swiss

Best Business Class Lounges
World's Top 10
1 Cathay Pacific
2 Virgin Atlantic
3 Gulf Air
4 Asiana Airlines
5 Swiss
6 Singapore Airlines
7 SAS Scandinavian
8 Malaysia Airlines
9 China Airlines
10 Qantas Airways

Best First Class Catering
World's Top 10
1 Gulf Air
2 Cathay Pacific
3 Swiss
4 Lufthansa
5 Emirates
6 Air France
7 Qatar Airways
8 Singapore Airlines
9 Thai Airways
10 Qantas Airways

Best Business Class Catering
World's Top 10
1 Gulf Air
2 Continental Airlines
3 bmi British Midland
4 Austrian
5 Qatar Airways
6 South African Airways
7 Qantas
8 Emirates
9 Malaysia Airlines
10 Royal Brunei Airlines

Best Economy Class Catering
World's Top 10
1 Thai Airways
2 Austrian
3 Saudi Arabian Airlines
4 Malaysia Airlines
5 Qantas
6 Gulf Air
7 SN Brussels Airlines
8 Qatar Airways
9 Swiss
10 Air France

Best Airline Alliance
World's Top 10
1 Star Alliance
2 Oneworld
3 SkyTeam

So there you go..... Not a word about EK and cabin staff eh?
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

NooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud of

'Disgusted' of
Tunbridge Wells
Agreed - I used to rate Emirates as one of the best - statistically it probably is but does having your name plastered all over EVERY sporting event in the world make you 'the best', i'm sure if PIA had done the same they would rank a little higher - but the service would still be sub standard. Maybe its because of the 'reputation' the cabin crew have (don't get me wrong - I have plenty of friends who fly) - maybe some think they are just 'too good' to be bothered servicing the people they are supposed to service. (am i being cheeky - oh well )
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:09 am
W10

Emirates cabin crew don't make the top 10

I have to say, I've switched to Qatar for trips back to the UK after my trip home. Utterly superb all round - who cares if I have to wait at Doha for an hour. Especially when it costs about 30% less than Emirates.

I also find that Emirates' cabins tend to look very shabby, very quickly. Presumably something to do with the light coloured fabrics they use?

Can't wait for Virgin to start operating next year though. It should shake things up a little.

Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:52 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

We're flying with Qatar back to the UK at Christmas, saved loads of DHS!!

My parent's are flying Emirates to visit us next week, I'll find out how they got on and update you all.

Z xx
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

I'll be flying to Canton,China with Air Kenya.....We will have a Rain Dance while on board and chase the devils away......
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:50 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Emirates cabin crew don't make the top 10

I have to say, I've switched to Qatar for trips back to the UK after my trip home. Utterly superb all round - who cares if I have to wait at Doha for an hour. Especially when it costs about 30% less than Emirates.

I also find that Emirates' cabins tend to look very shabby, very quickly. Presumably something to do with the light coloured fabrics they use?

Can't wait for Virgin to start operating next year though. It should shake things up a little.

Emirates cabin crew don't make the top 10 in what???
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:53 pm
W10

Originally Posted by shoushou
I'll be flying to Canton,China with Air Kenya.....We will have a Rain Dance while on board and chase the devils away......
I flew club class on Air Kenya (to Kenya amazingly) 2 years ago. They had a 160 or 170 degree near flat bed, with 72" seat pitch. Pretty nice.

However - flew back on BA Club World which beat the shit out of AK for comfort.

However, both of them are miles better than Emirates club class, which has to be the most overpriced pile of rubbish in the 'premium' sector.

Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:54 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I flew club class on Air Kenya (to Kenya amazingly) 2 years ago. They had a 160 or 170 degree near flat bed, with 72" seat pitch. Pretty nice.

However - flew back on BA Club World which beat the shit out of AK for comfort.

However, both of them are miles better than Emirates club class, which has to be the most overpriced pile of rubbish in the 'premium' sector.
Here here........
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:13 pm
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

I'm amazed at Emirates business class catering ranking lower than Gulf Air - I have always found its food loads better, in business and economy. Gulf Air may be best in First class due to the Sky Chef, but I haven't tried that yet (*empoverished sobbing of a "rear class" passenger*).

I have found Gulf Air service - in economy and business - far better than Emirates, though this is not to say that Emirates is universally bad. The main problems I have found are on the Dubai-Aus-NZ route, where Emirates seems to have many young, attractive girls chosen far more for their skirt value than their manners, patience, sense or competence.

A middle-aged, male associate was recently moaning about the bad service he got on Emirates. I pointed out this fact about the looks-based rather than talent-based recruitment, and how I personally preferred someone capable every time, regardless if they were pox-scarred and hunchbacked.

"Ah, but us blokes, we like a few attractive females around," he said.

What a fking moron. If you want an attractive *hostess*, go to Cyclones ffs. Don't moan about crappy service then still demand something that looks like a supermodel to be serving you with a smile in economy.

As a general rule, people used to succeeding on their looks rather than personality are going to be more arrogant, more lazy, and provide inferior service than the plainer Janes of this world.

Last edited by secretdubai; Oct 11th 2005 at 6:16 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:19 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by secretdubai
I'm amazed at Emirates business class catering ranking lower than Gulf Air - I have always found its food loads better, in business and economy. Gulf Air may be best in First class due to the Sky Chef, but I haven't tried that yet (*empoverished sobbing of a "rear class" passenger*).

I have found Gulf Air service - in economy and business - far better than Emirates, though this is not to say that Emirates is universally bad. The main problems I have found are on the Dubai-Aus-NZ route, where Emirates seems to have many young, attractive girls chosen far more for their skirt value than their manners, patience, sense or competence.

A middle-aged, male associate was recently moaning about the bad service he got on Emirates. I pointed out this fact about the looks-based rather than talent-based recruitment, and how I personally preferred someone capable every time, regardless if they were pox-scarred and hunchbacked.

"Ah, but us blokes, we like a few attractive females around," he said.

What a fking moron. If you want an attractive *hostess*, go to Cyclones ffs. Don't moan about crappy service then still demand something that looks like a supermodel to be serving you with a smile in economy.

As a general rule, people used to succeeding on their looks rather than personality are going to be more arrogant, more lazy, and provide inferior service than the plainer Janes of this world.
Well said, SD. My kind of gal!
Cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.