Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emirates desert driving school - contact details?

Emirates desert driving school - contact details?

Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:39 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emirates desert driving school - contact details?

I heard that there's a pretty good full-day desert driving course available, from a company called the Emirates Desert Driving school (or something like that). Does anyone have their contact details? Google doesn't seem to help much in this case.

EDIT - the Emirates Driving Institute offers a one-day course for AED 200 - anyone know if this could be the one I've heard about?

EDIT EDIT - it is!

Last edited by Eeyore; Mar 7th 2006 at 7:50 am.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:12 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirates desert driving school - contact details?

Originally Posted by GarethR
I heard that there's a pretty good full-day desert driving course available, from a company called the Emirates Desert Driving school (or something like that). Does anyone have their contact details? Google doesn't seem to help much in this case.

EDIT - the Emirates Driving Institute offers a one-day course for AED 200 - anyone know if this could be the one I've heard about?

EDIT EDIT - it is!
You really don't want to be doing that bud, if we can find someone else, I'll take you out - believe me you'll learn a lot more.

And we (as a club and individually) have pulled more stuck vehicles from so called driving/tour companies than you've had hot dinners.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:26 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT EDIT - it is!
Ok - now you've managed to answer your own question - can you share with us the contact details?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:44 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Ok - now you've managed to answer your own question - can you share with us the contact details?
Their website is here.

MJC - thanks for the offer, but I'm really keen to give the EDI course a crack; it comes very highly recommended, and I fancy having a blast around in a Landcruiser. If it turns out to be crap, you can take me out and say "I told you so" as often as you like
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:13 am
A slow driver!

lillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to behold

Their website is here.

MJC - thanks for the offer, but I'm really keen to give the EDI course a crack; it comes very highly recommended, and I fancy having a blast around in a Landcruiser. If it turns out to be crap, you can take me out and say "I told you so" as often as you like

That's the one we did. It's good for a basic understanding. Classroom session first thing is a bit dull but once you get out it's good fun. Their instructor was the guy we paid to come out with us privately which is also a good idea. TS has his number
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:17 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

when i was driving on top of the mountains of Koh samoui in old Suzuki which was even Right Handed (first time i drove or sat in a Car like that) and there were no road! muddy paths on the edges of the mountains!!! I must say Masha-Allah! I Drove so nicely and i helped some backpapcker and put them in the back of the Car!

Once I brought them down from the mountains! They were so Impressed That they Now want to Buy an Old Suzuki Vitara when they go back home to Europe.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:44 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to agree with MJC on this. Having nearly been killed by more than one of these muppets out in the sands as they drive like ****ing idiots and nearly driving into them as they stop for photos just over a blind crest!!! I'd be very very wary of them, not to mention pulling them out when they have no clue, no kit and only 1 vehicle full of bewildered and grateful tourists!!!!

your much better off going out with some experienced mates and one or more of the 4x4 clubs in town. if your getting passed your comfort zone tell them and slow it all down and ask for help.

if you search the web there are also some brilliant sites which have pretty much the combined experience of every 4x4er in the world on them, and this will beat hands down any classroom teaching by someone who gets paid to tell you stuff. frankly id be very surprised if in the classroom they really explained just how dangerous it can be!

on another note, anyone fancy a quick bimble out in the dunes on friday, 2 vehicles so far
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:36 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by shiva
I'd be very very wary of them, not to mention pulling them out when they have no clue, no kit and only 1 vehicle full of bewildered and grateful tourists!!!!
Many of the desert *tour* companies only seem to use one vehicle, but I've read a very positive write-up on one of the desert driving courses (I *think* it was the Emirates one) that goes out with two Landcruisers.

Plus, I believe that the course spends a lot of time deliberately getting you stuck so that they can teach you how to get unstuck, which seems like a good idea; I can imagine that the 4x4 clubs wouldn't bother with that.

your much better off going out with some experienced mates and one or more of the 4x4 clubs in town
I've spoken with members of one of the 4x4 clubs, and they seemed pretty dismissive of stock vehicles... I got the impression they were only interested in jacked-up Wranglers with JCB tyres that had several hundredweight of extra equipment riveted to the bonnet!

on another note, anyone fancy a quick bimble out in the dunes on friday, 2 vehicles so far
Yeah, we could be up for that... where you planning to go?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:06 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I've spoken with members of one of the 4x4 clubs, and they seemed pretty dismissive of stock vehicles... I got the impression they were only interested in jacked-up Wranglers with JCB tyres that had several hundredweight of extra equipment riveted to the bonnet!

Yeah, we could be up for that... where you planning to go?
try the other clubs, as some are a bit gung ho and this is a load of nonsense! stock vehicles just break more easily!

south of big red area known as the pyramids (or area 53), between the hatta road and the al ain roads, PM me if your interested
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:26 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by shiva
stock vehicles just break more easily!
Especially Pajeros, so I've heard...
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:40 am
**** it we'll do it live

Especially Pajeros, so I've heard...
hhmmm apparently the bumpers are a bit too easliy damaged