Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emerati (as in locals) Drivers

Emerati (as in locals) Drivers

Old Dec 18th 2005, 3:15 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emerati (as in locals) Drivers

OK,

This will probably not be a popular post (though CN will like it.....)

I think that we should excuse ALL Emerati's for their driving skills, after all we are all GUESTS in THEIR country and, as such should feel honoured to be allowed here. If their driving and other "customs" upset us, then we should obviously leave.

Too many times I have seen ungratefull imigrants (I think that sounds so much more demeaning than "ex-pats") complaining about the Father's and Mother's of this GREAT COUNTRY. Perhaps we should look at ourselves in the mirror and just accept that we are GUESTS and should treat the owners as we would if we were a GUEST in THEIR HOUSE.

Now, who wants to stick their head above the parapet and AGREE with me?
Old Dec 18th 2005, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Emerati (as in locals) Drivers

Originally Posted by MJC
OK,

I think that we should excuse ALL Emerati's for their driving skills, after all we are all GUESTS in THEIR country and, as such should feel honoured to be allowed here. If their driving and other "customs" upset us, then we should obviously leave.

Too many times I have seen ungratefull imigrants (I think that sounds so much more demeaning than "ex-pats") complaining about the Father's and Mother's of this GREAT COUNTRY. Perhaps we should look at ourselves in the mirror and just accept that we are GUESTS and should treat the owners as we would if we were a GUEST in THEIR HOUSE.

Hear Hear- BAN all Echos, Sunnys and Corollas. Only Landcruisers and such sized vehicles be allowed . Although Emaratis may drive Nissan Maximas - which is a favourite with them.

Love you avatar - is it a camel or a donkey or a cross breed ?
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:18 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emerati (as in locals) Drivers

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Hear Hear- BAN all Echos,

WHY?? ban Echo?
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:23 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
OK,

I know what you mean Mjc, but after i have travelled to other countries... i think everybody must be treated as equal here regardless from where they come from....

afterall without the expats this place is as good as desert.

But most of the time some expat act in this country its really appalling! esp. some the women from some Arab countries and western countries whom have no respect with the way they dress!

its seems as if they buy their cloths from Kids section.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:28 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasaNova
But most of the time some expat act in this country its really appalling! esp. some the women from some Arab countries and western countries whom have no respect with the way they dress!
Exactly, it's all about respecting your guests, and let me tell you, some of the sights at Wafi are truly disturbing - and that's just the men!!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MJC
Exactly, it's all about respecting your guests, and let me tell you, some of the sights at Wafi are truly disturbing - and that's just the men!!

i get disturbed in Mercato with girls ranging from age 10-15 with semi-naked clothes all in groups!

besides them are walking National Families (with daughters of same age) some men in Beards and women in conservative cloths.

I wonder what do they feel when they see that?

My girlfriend she is an European and she tells me that she feels disgusted! Imagine thats Coming from a liberal European!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:38 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Never been to Mercato, City Centre is bad enough...
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

If it's not an arab (possibly local, possibly not) weaving through dense traffic at twice the speed, it's a subcontinental expat turning left from the right lane... or taking the outside lane of a roundabout [i]without exiting[i]. Or maybe it's just a american/brit tourist driving backwards up SZR cause they missed their exit.

In short, yes most locals can't drive.. but neither can most other people here.
I will leave as soon as possible, I miss civilization.

Originally Posted by MJC
OK,

Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

As for the clothing - I agree with the above. You need to make an effort to understand and respect local sensibilities with regards to appearance.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
If it's not an arab (possibly local, possibly not) weaving through dense traffic at twice the speed, it's a subcontinental expat turning left from the right lane... or taking the outside lane of a roundabout [i]without exiting[i]. Or maybe it's just a american/brit tourist driving backwards up SZR cause they missed their exit.

In short, yes most locals can't drive.. but neither can most other people here.
I will leave as soon as possible, I miss civilization.
In terms of driving style, Abu Dhabi is a breeze compared to Jordan (and I was told by locals there that Amman was great compared to Cairo or Beirut). I was expecting full on driving mayhem here in Abu Dhabi when I started driving but its pretty okay (so far)...

Is this a Dubai thing?
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:42 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewpops
In terms of driving style, Abu Dhabi is a breeze compared to Jordan (and I was told by locals there that Amman was great compared to Cairo or Beirut). I was expecting full on driving mayhem here in Abu Dhabi when I started driving but its pretty okay (so far)...

Is this a Dubai thing?

Its is the same in Qatar :scared: :scared:
Old Dec 18th 2005, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

In Beirut,we dont stop at red lights,we dont drive between the lines,we dont let people cross.....End of story....