Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Email provider with decent file sizes ?

Email provider with decent file sizes ?

Old May 24th 2004, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Email provider with decent file sizes ?

I am looking for an email account that I can use to receive files larger than 2MB. Any recommendations ?
Old May 24th 2004, 2:28 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Email provider with decent file sizes ?

Originally posted by BenandPam
I am looking for an email account that I can use to receive files larger than 2MB. Any recommendations ?
Yahoo, they give you 4mb which is much better than Hotmails 2MB.
Old May 24th 2004, 6:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

or subscribe to this website and have an email address like @britishexpats.com with 25mb of space.
Old May 24th 2004, 11:52 pm
mickj

Try google for a 1GB space, heard about that a while ago !

Old May 25th 2004, 10:39 pm
WBB

Originally posted by mickj
it is not yet available.

Old May 25th 2004, 11:55 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Can't go wrong with FastMail.

Their free 'guest' account gives you:
10 MB storage space
40 MB bw/month
IMAP/Web access
45 day no activity period

www.fastmail.fm
Old May 29th 2004, 1:34 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mickj
Its an interesting concept, heres the homepage:

https://gmail.google.com/

James
Old May 30th 2004, 3:22 pm
heading to Ohio

widge is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounded good to me but somehow the thought of my e-mails knowingly being searched even if it is automated gives me the creeps ................ and not just me by the look of this report from The Mecury News

"You know all those privacy red flags that went up when Google announced its upcoming free email service? Well, the California Senate got in the act today by approving a bill that would limit the use of information the service would compile.

``Gmail'' will give users a gigabyte of storage but attaches ads for products related to what's being discussed in the e-mail.

Technology that allows e-mail content to be scanned could allow companies to ``use our e-mails to create profiles on us, based on our most personal and intimate thoughts,'' said the bill's author, Sen. Liz Figueroa, D-Sunol.

Google had opposed an early version of the bill that banned the practice of scanning e-mails without consent from both the sender and recipient. But recent amendments have shifted Google to a neutral position, company spokesman David Krane said.

Company officials will keep working with Figueroa, Krane said, ``to craft a bill that both enhances user privacy protections in the law while allowing for always improving and changing Internet services that benefit consumers.''

The The bill allows the e-mails to be scanned for marketing purposes, but prohibits companies from compiling the information into a database. It also bans companies from selling or sharing the information it gleans to third parties. "

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...8776318.htm?1c
Old May 30th 2004, 7:30 pm
mickj

1GB is a whole lot of space for emails, most people are going to be using this for sending files and other large stuff over the net, and its only a matter of time before the copyright police and others like the RIAA, lobby for it to be shutdown.

If you think your mails are not being scanned now, think again, but like you said, the thoughts of it being searched, gives me the creeps too.

I will say if you get an important email, download and encrypt it using a 128 AES program, there is a whole bunch of them out there.

Originally posted by widge
It sounded good to me but somehow the thought of my e-mails knowingly being searched even if it is automated gives me the creeps ................ and not just me by the look of this report from The Mecury News

"You know all those privacy red flags that went up when Google announced its upcoming free email service? Well, the California Senate got in the act today by approving a bill that would limit the use of information the service would compile.

``Gmail'' will give users a gigabyte of storage but attaches ads for products related to what's being discussed in the e-mail.

Technology that allows e-mail content to be scanned could allow companies to ``use our e-mails to create profiles on us, based on our most personal and intimate thoughts,'' said the bill's author, Sen. Liz Figueroa, D-Sunol.

Google had opposed an early version of the bill that banned the practice of scanning e-mails without consent from both the sender and recipient. But recent amendments have shifted Google to a neutral position, company spokesman David Krane said.

Company officials will keep working with Figueroa, Krane said, ``to craft a bill that both enhances user privacy protections in the law while allowing for always improving and changing Internet services that benefit consumers.''

The The bill allows the e-mails to be scanned for marketing purposes, but prohibits companies from compiling the information into a database. It also bans companies from selling or sharing the information it gleans to third parties. "

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...8776318.htm?1c