Reload this Page >

Electric outlets / plugs

Electric outlets / plugs

Old Jul 24th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Electric outlets / plugs

Hey there,

I was wondering if the info I received is true. Do they have the same electric outlets in Dubai as in Great Britain? Most of our electrical stuff is American, so I would have to get an adapter and converter to the British System? I also have some Austrian electronics (I am originally from there) and I believe the system there is different than in GB... Let me know what you recommend.

Thank you.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:31 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electric outlets / plugs

Originally Posted by alexalexa
Hey there,

I was wondering if the info I received is true. Do they have the same electric outlets in Dubai as in Great Britain? Most of our electrical stuff is American, so I would have to get an adapter and converter to the British System? I also have some Austrian electronics (I am originally from there) and I believe the system there is different than in GB... Let me know what you recommend.

Thank you.
Dubai same as UK...American and Austrian plugs won't work. You will need adapters or if coming here to stay replace your plugs with UAE ones.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MacScot
Dubai same as UK...American and Austrian plugs won't work. You will need adapters or if coming here to stay replace your plugs with UAE ones.
Thanks for your answer. How can one replace a plug? How much does that cost? Is that the usual way? I always thought an adapter is the best way....
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:57 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexalexa
Thanks for your answer. How can one replace a plug? How much does that cost? Is that the usual way? I always thought an adapter is the best way....
I see from your other post that you are coming to Dubai in September. I've been here for 2 years and am still using adapters for some items (e.g., computers). However, I have just started changing plugs on some everyday electrical equipment...it's just case of undoing the wires from the old plug and rewiring to the new local plug. You have to make sure the correct wires go to the correct terminals. If you are unsure get an electrician to do it.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MacScot
I see from your other post that you are coming to Dubai in September. I've been here for 2 years and am still using adapters for some items (e.g., computers). However, I have just started changing plugs on some everyday electrical equipment...it's just case of undoing the wires from the old plug and rewiring to the new local plug. You have to make sure the correct wires go to the correct terminals. If you are unsure get an electrician to do it.
I'll use my husband Just want to avoid burning down a whole apartment complex by using american products which have a different voltage...