Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Eid Vacation, where should I go?

Eid Vacation, where should I go?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:23 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eid Vacation, where should I go?

So i was talking to my boss back in the states last night, and he said "listen, you've got 4 days to do whatever, get out and go somewhere, fly up to europe or something"

so i decided that wouldn't be a bad idea, but i'm trying to figure out where to go. I don't know if i'll actually go, the nice weather here and my newfound sport of kiteboarding would keep me well occupied, but as I won't have this opportunity again for a while i figure i might as well make use of it.

If it were later in the year i'd fly to munich, take a bus to inssbruck, and go skiing, but i don't thinks there is a whole lot of snow up there yet.

so my options, as i see them are

London - Visit college buddy (expat working at Goldman)
Madrid / Segovia - I'm fluent in spanish and i love spain, plus i could see the family i lived with for a few summers. maybe catch a Real Madrid game
France - ha, just kidding
Germany - I figure a good beer couldn't hurt, but the cold is putting a damper on my desire to go up there.
Switzerland - Could hit up interlaken for a few days, but that would be a long trip

Does anybody know if someone flies direct DXB-Madrid. That is pretty much the one i'm focused on, but the only way i've found to get there is LH through Frankfurt, which is a sort of roundabout way to get there.

Money is not really an object, as long as its under AED 4000 for the ticket.

My other option is to go camping with friends in Fujairah or Oman, which would include kiteboarding.

edit, i know this may sound stupid and alot of money for a short trip, but i work 6 day 80 hour work weeks the rest of the year, so getting 4 days off is a big deal to me
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:57 am
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all
Default Re: Eid Vacation, where should I go?

Czech Republic.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:01 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

If you're really feeling adventurous you could go to Iran, North of Tehran there is some great skiing on slopes built before the revvo which are quiet and well run.
Otherwise you could go to south Iran to the island of Kish where there would be some wicked kite surfing.
If you're into photography as well then they are both great things to do.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:04 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
and Switzerland - Could hit up interlaken for a few days, but that would be a long trip
Does anybody know if someone flies direct DXB-Madrid. That is pretty much the one i'm focused on, but the only way i've found to get there is LH through Frankfurt, which is a sort of roundabout way to get there.

Money is not really an object, as long as its under AED 4000 for the ticket.

My other option is to go camping with friends in Fujairah or Oman, which would include kiteboarding.

edit, i know this may sound stupid and alot of money for a short trip, but i work 6 day 80 hour work weeks the rest of the year, so getting 4 days off is a big deal to me
Interlaken is a Beautiful place, the views are spectacular!!!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:10 am
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

OK, I assumed you wouldn't want to go to a Middle Eastern country, but since you mentioned it, how about Lebanon?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:17 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

While you're in that part of the world you may as well visit it! No point in going to places near where you are going to end up (if that makes sense!). I also did a great trip from Dubai to Kenya/Tanzani/Zanzibar from Dxb.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:21 am
a stranger in this town

iconoclast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sighs for IRAN

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Otherwise you could go to south Iran to the island of Kish where there would be some wicked kite surfing.
i heared it's so beautiful and everything but then there is a beach for men and another for women so that they can't mix or see each other...but i think they still need a third beach for the kids and they can advertize that one family can enjoy three beaches at the same time!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice
Default Re: sighs for IRAN

Originally Posted by iconoclast
i heared it's so beautiful and everything but then there is a beach for men and another for women so that they can't mix or see each other...but i think they still need a third beach for the kids and they can advertize that one family can enjoy three beaches at the same time!

There is a mixed beach on Kish Island but you have to be foreign passport holder. I was in Kish about 4 years ago and found it dead boring but then it might have improved since. Plenty of visa runners roaming the streets.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
Czech Republic.

Very nice and cultural indeed but same sort of weather like in Germany. If you like a lot of walking, lots of car free zones. Watch out for thieves though, especially in the underground!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Interlaken is a Beautiful place, the views are spectacular!!!

Best time of the year to go there. Very beautiful in autmn if it happens to be sunny but that's the gamble.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
If you're really feeling adventurous you could go to Iran, North of Tehran there is some great skiing on slopes built before the revvo which are quiet and well run.
If you're into photography as well then they are both great things to do.

Sorry, but no visa's being issued before Eid. Morning!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:21 am
Remember

Default Re: sighs for IRAN

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
There is a mixed beach on Kish Island but you have to be foreign passport holder. I was in Kish about 4 years ago and found it dead boring but then it might have improved since. Plenty of visa runners roaming the streets.
It isn't the most interesting place unless you hire a taxi for the day for about Dhs 50 and go to the underground water-cooling system, the architectural digs, the mad, mad parks, the old shipwreck and various other areas where the visa runners don't go. You could pass a lot of time kite boarding or diving in the amazing waters though. Definitely not a place to go for nightlife! The shopping is good- lots of stuff you don't see in Dubai- there is even a snowboard shop! You need to be adventurous and the photo opps are huge.
The mixed beach is mad too! At low tide the locals can just look round the fence! The changing rooms have glass walls too!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Very nice and cultural indeed but same sort of weather like in Germany. If you like a lot of walking, lots of car free zones. Watch out for thieves though, especially in the underground!
I fell in love with the Czech people and country when I took a connection flight between Lebanon and Montreal. Great country, great people. Very hospitable. Don't know about the thieves part though. :scared:
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:00 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely not going to a middle eastern country, especially iran, as an american, really not the best time to go to iran.

Might just end up going camping in Oman or Fujairah with some friends, but we'll see.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TA5
Definitely not going to a middle eastern country, especially iran, as an american, really not the best time to go to iran.

Might just end up going camping in Oman or Fujairah with some friends, but we'll see.

Even though visa are not being issued right now, don't get put off. People and life in Iran aren't always as it seems through the eyes of media. American tourists are welcome too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.