Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Eid Holidays! What to Do?

Eid Holidays! What to Do?

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:56 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eid Holidays! What to Do?

Ok Peeps,

I got four Days Holidays and I feel like to go for Around the world trip! - If you know what I mean.

I cant make-up my mind, I am planning to Visit Thailand but I am not sure where to go... plus I am not interested in Thai girls beoz they look like babies.

I need your advice...

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:09 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eid Holidays! What to Do?

Originally Posted by CasaNova
Ok Peeps,

I got four Days Holidays and I feel like to go for Around the world trip! - If you know what I mean.

I cant make-up my mind, I am planning to Visit Thailand but I am not sure where to go... plus I am not interested in Thai girls beoz they look like babies.

I need your advice...

Thanks
First off - what are the "offical" actual Eid holiday days for the private sector? Anyone know these yet?

Second - Will there be any dry nights?

Third - Thailand is amazing. 4 days is not enough. You could see Bangkok (and maybe this is the place for a Casanova to be) in 4 days. There are beaches about 1/2 day drive away or you can fly in 1 hour down to Krabi... If you are serious let me know and I'll give you more tips. Sorry - can't help you with the Thai girl action though...
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:27 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
First off - what are the "offical" actual Eid holiday days for the private sector? Anyone know these yet?

Its on 10th. so that means if someone if off on saturdays then they have 5dyas off. holidays start from next Tuesday till friday.

Second - Will there be any dry nights?

Yes it will be dried on the night of Zul Hijja. (Haj)

Third - Thailand is amazing. 4 days is not enough. You could see Bangkok (and maybe this is the place for a Casanova to be) in 4 days. There are beaches about 1/2 day drive away or you can fly in 1 hour down to Krabi... If you are serious let me know and I'll give you more tips. Sorry - can't help you with the Thai girl action though...

I am not going there for these thai's girl. The reason i havent been there yet is bcoz of them. but i have heard they give good massage?

Can you give me more information pls?
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:39 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm going to take 3 bin liners full of trash and dump them around Hatta Pools.

When in Rome......
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:21 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
Well I'm going to take 3 bin liners full of trash and dump them around Hatta Pools.

When in Rome......
I'm off to The Chedi in Oman for a couple of nights... can't wait!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:41 am
Powered by cows

Its on 10th. so that means if someone if off on saturdays then they have 5dyas off. holidays start from next Tuesday till friday.
Thankie.

Yes it will be dried on the night of Zul Hijja. (Haj)
What day of the week is this on? Does it apply in Oman too?

Can you give me more information pls?
(this is cut and paste from a previous post of mine)

Krabi and near by Ko Lanta are lovely, beautiful places. Perhaps too beach hut based though.

However there are other options in Thailand.

Ko Tao is amazing... peaceful away from the main town, check out this place:

http://www.3paradiseislands.com/index.htm

We stayed on Tao in 2001 and it was really great. The Thai people are great. It would take a little of getting to island, but it is worth it.

In Bangkok we stayed at the Penninsula Hotel. 5 star amazing place.

We went from Bangkok to Krabi (southern Thailand). Stayed there for about 4 nights - some amazing beaches there including some of the most famous ones such as the beach that featured in James Bong Goldfinger (If I remeber correctly) film.

Krabi is a good starting point - you can go to Koh Phi Phi (the famous island used in the film The Beach). It was badly hit by the tsunami - not sure of it's current condition. You can also head across to Phuket - meant to be a party town with plenty of "action"! I didn't go - others will know more on Phuket.

We went from Krabi to Koh Lanta - 2 hour boat trip from Krabi - very peaceful and quiet. Great place with lots of nice beach huts.

From there to Trang to catch train up to Chumpon - trains are excellent in Thailand, all open windows to check out the jungle sights and a great bar at the back of the train

Chumpon is a bit of hole... stayed on night - the next day got the fast speed boat ferry to Koh Tao. Stayed here for 10 nights. Great for diving and you can have a party time in the main town - or be very quiet in the small shallets located around the island.

From there - missed out Koh Pang Yang (spelling?) as not enough time - this is famous as the party island... Stayed one night in Koh Samui (not a fan - way too touristy, but I'm sure there are nice bits).

From Samui - back up to Bangkok for 3 nights. Great city, so much bustle - and if you think driving is bad in Dubai :scared: ! Some amazing temples, boat trips, markets etc. And of course if you are after some sleezy ping pong bars etc this is where you'll find them...

This trip took 3 weeks.

We didn't see Chang Mai in Northern Thailand where there is amazing jungle and rock climbing etc....

So CN - you can do it in less - but if you can take 2 - 3 weeks. And don't forget to send us a postcard...

Some of my pics from Thailand:
My favourite shot in Ko Lanta
Ko Lanta
Ko Lanta as well
Ko Tao - this is the exact resort as linked above
Ko Tao
Some boats in Bangkok from the Penninsula balcony
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

I like your style....
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:16 pm
Banned

What day of the week is this on? Does it apply in Oman too?

the Eid will fall on the same day that is the 10th of this month. on the day of the Eid the bars will be open for business. but the night before it will be closed.

monday night no bars. (if tuesday is the Eid)
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Peeps,

I need your advice...

Thanks
Go somewhere where they don't have internet access....
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:44 am
Banned

Ok Than this might interest you!

Desert
Ash-Sharqiyah Sands (also known as Wahiba Sands) offer the romantic visitor desert in the accepted sense of the word. Rolling sand dunes, varying from deep red to a rich honey colour sands stretching as far as the eye can see.

The Sands stretch for 180 Km from north to south and 80 Km from east to west. They consist of grains of various eroded rocks and marine sediments blown into the area.

Sand driving requires skill, boards for digging out and a long tow rope in case one gets stuck. It is recommended thus to take one of the organised tours from Muscat which are led by knowledgeable guides.
Wadis
A wadi is a dried up riverbed found in the mountain valleys. Wadis come into their own after heavy rains, when the rivers start running again and the vegetation is restored. However, some wadis have year-round running water, with deep, cool pools in which it is quite safe to swim if the currents are slow as in Wadi Bani Khalid (A'Sharqiyah). On the whole, wadis are only accessible with a four-wheel drive vehicle, as the terrain can be extremely bumpy.

Wadis are green, lush oases of palm trees, grasses, and flowering shrubs. The villagers often take their cars down for washing and groups of people have great fun splashing around in the clean water. It is always safest to visit wadis in a group or with a tour guide. Although they are beautiful places, they are often remote and car breakdowns can happen to anyone.

Visitors must also be on the alert for rain clouds, as sudden downpours can lead to flash floods, which are highly dangerous when in the gorges. Some of the pupular wadis in Oman include:

Wadi Dayqah
Known as the Devil's Gap, Wadi Dayqah was described by explorer S. B. Miles in 1896 as "the most singular piece of earth sculpture in Arabia". The wadi runs through a narrow winding vertical-sided canyon that looks as though the mountain has been split in two. The walls soar to 1,700 meters and close in to 12 meters in some places.

When it rains, the waters of the surrounding wadis and tributaries drain and pour through the canyon that can sweep away everything in its path. Swimming, or at the very least, deep wading, is usually necessary, especially when crossing deep pools and channels that lie beyond the huge boulders. The alterantive would be to scramble around these boulders.

Wadi Darbat
The most popular wadi in Dhofar. The wadi is a place of true natural beauty with caves, pools, waterfalls, wildlife and lush green vegetation. The wadi has also a number of gorgeous caves that have been cut by the wadi, leaving them in halves.

Wadi Shab
The Wadi is 76 Km from Qurayyat–Muscat. The road to the wadi dips as it crosses the bed of the ravine and rises steeply on the other side where the houses of Tiwi cling to the cliffs. At the mouth of the wadi is a single beach dotted with fishing boats.

Water flows all year round. The wadi runs through a narrow gorge with date plantations, restful pools and lush vegetation. Oleander bushes attract butterflies and the singing of the birds is delightful.

Mountains
Al-Jabal Al-Akhdar
At about 10,000 feet above sea level, Al-Jabal Al-Akhdar (The Green Mountain) is the highest peak in the Eastern Hajar mountains and one of the highest points in the Sultanate. The thrilling views from the Jabal, as well as its balmy climate, are among the qualities that distinguish it as one of the top tourism spots in Oman.

The summer does not exceed 30 C° on the Jabal, while in winter the temperature can plunge below 5 C°. The Jabal receives an annual average of 303 mm of rainfall. The higher planes of the mountain are densely populated with lush vegetations comprising fruit trees, flowers and shrubs, which gives rise to the name. Some 54 nuclear communities sprinkled over different levels on the mountain, have clusters of farms growing pomegranates, apricots, peaches, cherries and walnuts.

The Desert Rose whose sweetly scented flowers are used in the making of rose water is unique to the Jabal. A great part of the Jabal consists of woodland, with Junipers, constituting the dominant species. Their leaves, soaked in locally made massaging oils, are very effective for the treatment of muscular pain and headache. Another commonly occurring tree in the woodland section of the Jabal is the Thorn Bush (Acacia Tortilis) whose leaves and pods provide livestock with regular fodder.

Springs are the main source of water supply for inhabitants, with the entire breadth of the area being linked with a network of aflaj. There are many ancient settlements in the Jabal, but the stone hamlets in Dhan Al-Bisateen are the most popular.