Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Education Finance in U.K.

Education Finance in U.K.

Old Oct 26th 2015, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Beta is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Education Finance in U.K.

Hi there, I am hoping someone can give me some advice please? I have moved to Dubai on Oct 2012 with my family (Wife and daughter) and my 2 daughters stayed in U.K. as they are still studying at university. My daughter in Dubai is in year 13 and applying to U.K. universities through UCAS application. My question is: will it be possible for my daughter to get student finance support to help for university tuition, and if yes, what is the application required for that? Any advice would be really appreciated as she is due to submit her application soon.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education Finance in U.K.

If wife and daughters are still resident in the UK then domestic fees should apply. Notice there are separate jurisdictions within the UK as regards Higher Education. It is a devolved matter. There are different rules in Scotland and England.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Scot for your reply, I don't know what you mean be "still resident" as they are with me in Dubai, but we go regularly to U.K. on our holidays as the rest of the family still there and our permanent residence home is U.K.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 11:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beta
Hi there, I am hoping someone can give me some advice please? I have moved to Dubai on Oct 2012 with my family (Wife and daughter) and my 2 daughters stayed in U.K. as they are still studying at university. My daughter in Dubai is in year 13 and applying to U.K. universities through UCAS application. My question is: will it be possible for my daughter to get student finance support to help for university tuition, and if yes, what is the application required for that? Any advice would be really appreciated as she is due to submit her application soon.
The best answer you will get is "possibly" as the final decision rests with the individual university. What you are after is Home Status which has slightly cheaper fees and means a student can apply for a Student Loan.

If your daughter has remained in the UK throughout and your employment and residency status in the UAE is deemed "temporary' then there is a good chance but no one can tell you certain until she makes an application. I work with a major education consultancy and advise on these issues.

From UK government website:
• Students must meet requirements concerning both citizenship and 3 years residence…
• Residence for the purpose of receiving full time university education does not necessarily count.
• Every university makes its own decision

If she applies for a very popular course at a popular university her chances are likely to be lower, but you just have to wait for a decision from the university itself.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Moew very useful information appreciate your time and effort
Old Oct 28th 2015, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot have your carrot cake and eat it.

But I would certainly try. Shove the kids on the council tax on the UK house as quickly as possible and pretend that they live there.