Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Economical alternative routes from Dubai to Birmingham

Economical alternative routes from Dubai to Birmingham

Old Jun 2nd 2021, 4:00 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economical alternative routes from Dubai to Birmingham

Originally Posted by psychopomp1
Hence why I said “very low risk”. Around 5% for those who have had both Pfizer jabs iirc.
I'm curious, were you expecting a pat on the back for ignoring or circumnavigating the rules?
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hence why I said “very low risk”. Around 5% for those who have had both Pfizer jabs iirc.
Would your google research stand up as defence of you had been caught?
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Would your google research stand up as defence of you had been caught?
Google research wouldn't but data from World Health Organization would. Or are you saying you know better than the scientists at WHO?

https://www.who.int/news-room/featur...id-19--vaccine

This also would be very useful in a UK court of law, which shows 'red list' Qatar actually has lower Covid infection rates than 'amber list' countries such as France and Kuwait. Yet travellers from Qatar are deemed a higher risk than those coming from France or Kuwait. So clearly other factors (trade? political?) have come into play which have f-all to do with people's health.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-01..latest&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Me tric=Confirmed+cases&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Al ign+outbreaks=false&country=QAT~FRA~KWT

Last edited by psychopomp1; Jun 2nd 2021 at 8:53 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Google research wouldn't but data from World Health Organization would. Or are you saying you know better than the scientists at WHO?

This also would be very useful in a UK court of law, which shows 'red list' Qatar actually has lower Covid infection rates than 'amber list' countries such as France and Kuwait. Yet travellers from Qatar are deemed a higher risk than those coming from France or Kuwait. So clearly other factors (trade? political?) have come into play which have f-all to do with people's health.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-01..latest&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Me tric=Confirmed+cases&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Al ign+outbreaks=false&country=QAT~FRA~KWT
It would go nowhere in court. You just happened to get away with it.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It would go nowhere in court.
Well we’ll never know will we? 😂
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the problem with at least some of the red list countries (including I would suggest Qatar and UAE) is not so much the resident population (from which the stats are mainly taken) its the transit and/or the non resident population who rarely get counted in your graph.

The risk from this part of the world is from the very people like yourself who make a risk assessment by Google to justify your actions in your own head and skip through the system and regardless of whether its a 5% risk or 100% and however smug you are about it, you are putting others at risk.

Your actions multiplied by however many are doing this each day are contributing to the UAE, other 'hubs' and countries being on the red or amber list.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 11:59 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

The reason Qatar is redlist, along with the UAE, is nothing to do with local infection rates. It's to do with the fact that they act as aviation hubs, and there is no way of reliably knowing where people have been previously.

So regardless of your own status, likelihood of getting infected, likelihood of infecting others, the fact is that you were knowingly mixing with others who may not have had the same level of protection as yourself, both when you traveled and almost certainly when you arrived.

And the fact that you're now wearing this as a kind of badge of honour, I'm one of the covid lads who got away with it says a lot about you, and is typical of the selfish, self-absorbed, narcissistic behaviour shown by many throughout the pandemic.

Hope I never bump into you in a lounge anytime soon.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
The reason Qatar is redlist, along with the UAE, is nothing to do with local infection rates. It's to do with the fact that they act as aviation hubs, and there is no way of reliably knowing where people have been previously.
Sorry but that's utter rubbish. If it was to do with major aviation hubs then France would have been one of the first countries on the Red List considering Paris is a major connecting point for those coming from Africa and South America to UK. Qatar was put on the red list because of the drastic increase of local daily infections it experienced a month or two ago, which jumped to around 900 per day at its peak, up from a stable ~400 only weeks before. I was there during the whole time.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but that's utter rubbish. If it was to do with major aviation hubs then France would have been one of the first countries on the Red List considering Paris is a major connecting point for those coming from Africa and South America to UK. Qatar was put on the red list because of the drastic increase of local daily infections it experienced a month or two ago, which jumped to around 900 per day at its peak, up from a stable ~400 only weeks before. I was there during the whole time.
So what you are saying is the reason it’s on the red list is perfectly justified due to the high number of infections and you were there the whole time and you still chose to break the law ? ….. so it has got something to do with health contrary to your previous post ? Or have I missed your point ?
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UKMS
So what you are saying is the reason it’s on the red list is perfectly justified due to the high number of infections and you were there the whole time and you still chose to break the law ? ….. so it has got something to do with health contrary to your previous post ? Or have I missed your point ?
You missed my point. I was responding to the previous poster's claim that being on the Red List had nothing to do with local infection rates. I provided evidence which refuted that claim.

Wrt local infection rates in Qatar at their peak recently, sure they were high but relatively they were still far lower than France. Therefore someone travelling from France - especially if they hadn't been vaccinated - posed a far far greater risk to public health in UK than I did. Oh and i didn't travel from Qatar when the infection rate peak was at ~ 900, i came when the rates were massivley falling at around 500.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 3:01 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Transport secretary Grant Schapps disagrees with you....😂😂😂

https://thepointsguy-co-uk.cdn.amppr...st-airports%2F
From the article:On Wednesday, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said that the problem with the United Arab Emirates and why the country is still on the red list isn’t because of the number of cases in the country, but rather, the fact that passengers are transiting through its main hub airports. The United Arab Emirates is home to two of the world’s largest hubs to transiting passengers: Dubai (DXB) and Abu Dhabi (AUH).

“We are not restricting UAE because of levels of coronavirus in the UAE,” Shapps said. “The specific issue in the UAE is one of transit. It’s because they are a major transit hub.”

The same reasoning is likely being used to justify keeping Qatar on its list because of the country’s hub airport of Doha (DOH), home to Qatar Airways. Of course, it’s possible that the U.K.’s advice and reasoning could change by the time summer travel is allowed to resume, but at this time, both Qatar and the UAE remain firm red list countries.

There's not a one size fits all reasoning behind why countries are on the redlist. The situation in France is not relevant. But hey, never let the truth get in the way of making yourself feel better.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 3:06 pm

You missed my point. I was responding to the previous poster's claim that being on the Red List had nothing to do with local infection rates. I provided evidence which refuted that claim.

Wrt local infection rates in Qatar at their peak recently, sure they were high but relatively they were still far lower than France. Therefore someone travelling from France - especially if they hadn't been vaccinated - posed a far far greater risk to public health in UK than I did. Oh and i didn't travel from Qatar when the infection rate peak was at ~ 900, i came when the rates were massivley falling at around 500.
No, you just gave your opinion there buddy. 🤔
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh well, there is always the next review
Old Jun 13th 2021, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

https://www.thenationalnews.com/life...tain-1.1240090