Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

An easy commute to acadmic city - where would you stay?

An easy commute to acadmic city - where would you stay?

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

yeehi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question An easy commute to acadmic city - where would you stay?

Is traffic very bad out that way, too?
Any nice places to stay nearby, that would mean there is no hassle in the commute?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An easy commute to acadmic city - where would you stay?

is their residential in Academic City? I still think International City is your best bet
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
is their residential in Academic City? I still think International City is your best bet
I guess you could probably live most places and not have too bad a commute to AC. Its not on one of the rat runs!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I guess you could probably live most places and not have too bad a commute to AC. Its not on one of the rat runs!
yet
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Arabian Ranches to Academic City is a fast ride...
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Arabian Ranches to Academic City is a fast ride...
Mirdiff is perfect for academic city - out of Mirdiff the back way - 15 minutes max on almost empty dual carriageways. Rashidiya just as good if you are lucky enough to get a place there [I am biased :-) ], alternatively Dubai Silicon Oasis is out that way and there are a number of developments on the Al Ain road which would be good too (although don't think they are finished yet). If you look towards International City then visit on a warm day with a breeze and gauge the smell for yourself - it bothers some and not others.
Best of luck,
Haddock
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

yeehi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: An easy commute to acadmic city - where would you stay?

Is it the smell of frankincence?
What would you say to doing the sort of commutes mentioned above on a bicycle/moped, or, I have got to ask, roller skates?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by yeehi
What would you say to doing the sort of commutes mentioned above on a bicycle/moped, or, I have got to ask, roller skates?
I would say you are mad
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

The sewage works are out there - although most of Dubai smells like it now anyway...(http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10175966.html)
CH
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:08 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yeehi
it's dangerous...and most of the time it would just be too hot...so get that idea out of your head pronto
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Silicon Oasis is next door to Academic City but I don't think there is very much finished out that way yet. Haven't been for a while though. Probably smells a bit better than International City. Then again, so does a Dubai Taxi. Sorry, I'm rambling again.

Note to self: Don't post until after second cup of coffee.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute

I recently moved to Al Warqaa, and personaly i'm smitten.

My wfe and I found Arabian Ranches 'ok' but ultimatley it is Emarr's idea of how they think western expats want to live.

I prefer Al Warqqa as it is an area where predominantly locals live. Its a more true image of the middle east and thats what we are looking for.

We like the fact that: -
you can actually hear the mosque (not understand it yet though)
the 'local' supermarket is pretty cheap
people are friendly (if you make an effort)
the local landlord is brilliant
good access to the Emirates Road/Al Khail (i travel to Jebel Ali each day, 35mins to 1 1/4 hrs each way depending on the time that I travel)
good access to Garhoud (takes my wife 10 mins to get to work)
noise from the aeroplanes is not too bad (surprsed me as we originally lived in the UK countryside in silence)
lots better value for money (5beds 7BR) vs 3 beds in AR for similar money
massive garden
great for improving your contacts with wasta laden locals
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matthew.lewis2

My wfe and I found Arabian Ranches 'ok' but ultimatley it is Emarr's idea of how they think western expats want to live.

I prefer Al Warqqa as it is an area where predominantly locals live. Its a more true image of the middle east and thats what we are looking for.

good access to the Emirates Road/Al Khail (i travel to Jebel Ali each day, 35mins to 1 1/4 hrs each way depending on the time that I travel)
noise from the aeroplanes is not too bad (surprsed me as we originally lived in the UK countryside in silence)
massive garden
Sounds good.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:53 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matthew.lewis2

massive garden
and you are close to Mirdif....another plus...
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
and you are close to Mirdif....another plus...
That's the only reason I moved

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.