Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Early cancellation of tenancy agreement....

Early cancellation of tenancy agreement....

Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

kalaar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Early cancellation of tenancy agreement....

Hi there,

I'm currently giving serious consideration to leaving Dubai and the date I want to go is at about the 6month period of my tenancy agreement. Are there any laws that govern what I can/cannot do or expect? This year as per the new rental laws I got a 0% increase (only my first renewal). The landlords agent reckoned he could get much more than I pay so would he be likely to just hand back the next 6 months cheque if I vacate then in the hope he can get more rent elsewhere? Especially as I'd be giving him 2 months notice in which to fill the place.

I've been doing a search but the news stories are sketchy at best, sketchy and 3 years out od date usually. The governement website is about use as a poke in the eye and I couldn't find anything on a search of this forum.

Anyone able to shed some light? or maybe point me at the right weblink?

Thankyou
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early cancellation of tenancy agreement....

I'd negotiate, tell him you want to move out but don't tell him you are leaving Dubai. He will probably jump at the chance to re-let at a higher rent. However, if he thinks you are leaving the country he might decide to hang on to your six month's rent AND re-let the place at a higher rent. The "norm" would be to keep a month's rent as a penalty, or charge you rent until he was able to re-let. If you aren't in the country you aren't really in a position to check up on him.

You have signed a one year agreement and really you aren't entitled to a refund but the law, as you have noticed, is a little bit woolly.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I would definately try to negotiate with the agent, just tell him you are moving areas and if he returned some of your rental, you would hand the tenancy over so that he could rent it out immediately at a higher rent.
Tell him that if he is not prepared to do that then you will keep the apt/villa. You could then maybe sublet to somebody for the remaining 6 months.
Sorry to hear that it hasn't gone so well for you here.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:10 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

We're in a similar position but now breaking our 3rd year lease.

Hubby went and saw the office and they said we will pro-rata your rent, but you have to give one month's notice (which we knew)

We rented our villa, standalone (and this is in sharjah, so probably different rules) for Dhs85,000 - at the same time we were looking at similar constructions just down the road on a compound basis (but I'm not a compound person) and they were Dhs80,000, can't understand why as they have pool, gym, jacuzzi etc., owned by the cousin of our landlord

Next door is also owned by our landlord and having done his 3 years, his rent is going up 20% after 3 years - making it Dhs96,000 as originally rented at Dhs80,000 - so I assume ours will go up to Dhs102. However, I hear that the compound villas are now renting at Dhs150 - so i should imagine your landlord will be glad to see the back of you

But greed does come into it
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:11 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned View Post
I would definately try to negotiate with the agent, just tell him you are moving areas and if he returned some of your rental, you would hand the tenancy over so that he could rent it out immediately at a higher rent.
Tell him that if he is not prepared to do that then you will keep the apt/villa. You could then maybe sublet to somebody for the remaining 6 months.
Sorry to hear that it hasn't gone so well for you here.
Are you 'legally' allowed to sub-let in Dubai?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinderelle View Post
Are you 'legally' allowed to sub-let in Dubai?
the law is just being changed to allow it
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:27 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
the law is just being changed to allow it
that's great

just concerned for OP
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:00 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=kalaar;6202715]Hi there,

I'm currently giving serious consideration to leaving Dubai and the date I want to go is at about the 6month period of my tenancy agreement. /QUOTE]
You are leaving already and yet have made only three posts. Is this allowed, guys?
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we really are that frightening!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Only found the site early this year And I'm considering leaving as I'm sick of 70 hour weeks, hence not enough time to check the site more since first finding it.

I've actually been in dubai 2 years but was in company accomadation for about 6 months and so have only been in rented for close to 18
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:36 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kalaar View Post
Hi there,

I'm currently giving serious consideration to leaving Dubai and the date I want to go is at about the 6month period of my tenancy agreement. Are there any laws that govern what I can/cannot do or expect? This year as per the new rental laws I got a 0% increase (only my first renewal). The landlords agent reckoned he could get much more than I pay so would he be likely to just hand back the next 6 months cheque if I vacate then in the hope he can get more rent elsewhere? Especially as I'd be giving him 2 months notice in which to fill the place.

I've been doing a search but the news stories are sketchy at best, sketchy and 3 years out od date usually. The governement website is about use as a poke in the eye and I couldn't find anything on a search of this forum.

Anyone able to shed some light? or maybe point me at the right weblink?

Thankyou
Normally you continue paying until the day a new tenant moves in or your contract expires....that is fairly standard practice.

If you give two months notice and they find someone to take over (at a higher rate no doubt) they have no reason to keep your six months rent...they may take their time paying you back though so have someone here to chase that for you if you can!

N.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

I spoke to the landlords agent and he tells me that I would have to give them 2 months notice (no problem) and 2 months rent (15k dhs!) as a penalty. He tells me it's in my contract, but I have yet to sign for this year - I gave them cheques in February and got a receipt for them but have yet to see a new contract, which was never really an issue so long as they just left me alone . My first year we went through Betterhomes and then we did have a proper contract. Not sure if that changes anything.

I told the guy I was staying in Dubai but was considering moving closer to work if I could get out of his contract, he seemed to slightly change his tune then about the 2 months and said he would "see what he could do". I guess I need to go in and see him face to face, difficult though when I'm working 70 hours per week, on 6 days! Be glad to see the back of this country

How would I stand with either sub-letting to someone else (I'd rather lose 5k deposit cheque than 15k rent) or just clear the local bank account, close it down and fek off home? I know bouncing cheques is bad but if I have signed no contract and leave before I'm using the enw cheque...?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Biene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kalaar View Post
I spoke to the landlords agent and he tells me that I would have to give them 2 months notice (no problem) and 2 months rent (15k dhs!) as a penalty. He tells me it's in my contract, but I have yet to sign for this year - I gave them cheques in February and got a receipt for them but have yet to see a new contract, which was never really an issue so long as they just left me alone . My first year we went through Betterhomes and then we did have a proper contract. Not sure if that changes anything.

I told the guy I was staying in Dubai but was considering moving closer to work if I could get out of his contract, he seemed to slightly change his tune then about the 2 months and said he would "see what he could do". I guess I need to go in and see him face to face, difficult though when I'm working 70 hours per week, on 6 days! Be glad to see the back of this country

How would I stand with either sub-letting to someone else (I'd rather lose 5k deposit cheque than 15k rent) or just clear the local bank account, close it down and fek off home? I know bouncing cheques is bad but if I have signed no contract and leave before I'm using the enw cheque...?
Check your contract first. then deal with the owner not the agent. all my contracts for rentals state that if a tenant wishes to vacate before expiry they he may do so with a full refund providing a suitable tenant can be found paying the same (or more) rent.